Not an Orbea in sight

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Sgpeg2016

Not an Orbea in sight

Post by Sgpeg2016 »

Cant get an XS Orbea Gain for love nor money due to stock issues and availability wont be till October. Any suggestions on an alternative for circa £3000. Looking for a road bike not a hybrid.
peterb

Re: Not an Orbea in sight

Post by peterb »

Obvious alternative, Ribble. I see that Lapierre and Merida have introduced e-road bikes with the same Mahle system too. For more money - Cannondale, Scott and Bianchi (among others). As to availability, XS, that I don't know.
Last edited by peterb on 15 Mar 2021, 4:01pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sgpeg2016

Post by Sgpeg2016 »

Seen the Lapierre - wondered if anyone has experience of this. Looks good...
richtea99

Post by richtea99 »

Are you looking to buy direct from Orbea, or from a dealer?
This website seems to suggest they're available (I don't know which Gain model you're after):
https://www.e-bikeshop.co.uk/Orbea-Gain-D40-Alloy-2021

You could also consider Fazua-based bikes, like this (or Boardman):
https://winstanleysbikes.co.uk/bikes/el ... ctric-bike

Or another ebikemotion-based one (10% over price, but good quality) - 19 days delivery:
https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Cannon ... -2021/MVBB

You'd have to double-check their small frames are equivalent to Orbea's XS, of course.

Either way, I'd ring too - just to make sure they really are in stock.

Failing that, and if it's a 'need' rather than a 'want', try looking for a 2020 model rather than 2021, if you don't mind going slightly down on spec. You'll also save a few hundred quid.
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

Cannondale. Mrs F has just taken delivery of a Synapse Neo SE in XS.
amoto65

Post by amoto65 »

I bought a Specialized Creo last year and it has been excellent although more expensive.
peterb

Post by peterb »

I do like the look of the Supersix Evo NEO 3 Disc e-road. Only 12.4kg claimed weight. 75km seems to be a fairly honest estimate of range IME too.
borisface

Post by borisface »

I wouldn't get too hung up on weight as that's why you have a motor. The Cannondale synapse neo is an amazing bike, the range and quality of the build is excellent.
Sgpeg2016

Post by Sgpeg2016 »

I am a 5ft 1 female so many of these are too big for me even in a small. The Lapierre is a ladies bike so will ring store tomorrow. Fingers crossed they have it in stock as website says.
Antbrewer

Post by Antbrewer »

I would echo Borisface's thoughts of the Cannondale. I have the same bike for over a year now and I am really delighted with it. It purrs along even before the motor is engaged and I find it a real pleasure to ride.
Glad to hear Borisface you still like it
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

Mrs F is only 5ft. We searched long and hard for a suitably sized E-Bike. The Cannondale Synapse Neo SE XS is still slightly larger than her non electric bike but having now done a couple of rides I'd say it fits her pretty well. The only downsides I've found so far is the stupid choice of a 25.4mm seat post and the annoyance of all the mounting bolts being T25 (but at least they are all the same size ).
peterb

Post by peterb »

borisface wrote:I wouldn't get too hung up on weight as that's why you have a motor. The Cannondale synapse neo is an amazing bike, the range and quality of the build is excellent.

IME weight is an extremely important factor, especially if you need lift the bike into or onto a car. I find my 16kg (all up - pedals, saddle pack etc etc) alloy Orbea Gain a bit of a struggle to load and I'm unable to lift it onto a roof carrier. I also find the weight very noticeable on anything other than a more or less flat road after the motor cuts out at 15.5mph, when in effect you are trying to propel a heavy road bike the weight of a touring bike. My lightest 'acoustic' bike is around 8kg all up, so quite a contrast. All other things being equal I'd go for the lighter bike.
borisface

Post by borisface »

peterb wrote:
borisface wrote:I wouldn't get too hung up on weight as that's why you have a motor. The Cannondale synapse neo is an amazing bike, the range and quality of the build is excellent.

IME weight is an extremely important factor, especially if you need lift the bike into or onto a car. I find my 16kg (all up - pedals, saddle pack etc etc) alloy Orbea Gain a bit of a struggle to load and I'm unable to lift it onto a roof carrier. I also find the weight very noticeable on anything other than a more or less flat road after the motor cuts out at 15.5mph, when in effect you are trying to propel a heavy road bike the weight of a touring bike. My lightest 'acoustic' bike is around 8kg all up, so quite a contrast. All other things being equal I'd go for the lighter bike.

Yes you're quite correct if you're lifting a bike in and out of cars or up stairs etc. I was thinking more about on the road where for electric road bikes lighter weight usually corresponds to a shorter range, sometimes considerably so.