Ebike to fit in hatchback

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
mylesm

Ebike to fit in hatchback

Post by mylesm »

Hi All Newbie here thanks for the add

I recently purchased a BMW 225XE Hatchback with the intention of carrying 2 Ebikes On a Tow ball Carrier

Now I find that I cannot fit a Towbar to this model my bad for not checking

The Car is fairly spacious with the Back seats folded so I am now thinking of 2 Ebikes to fit in the back

Me and my wife want to go off during the Summer to do different Day Cycles on Greenways etc only the two of us so no problem losing the back seats

I have been looking at the internet for some help but I am struggling

I was thinking of the Cube Compact would 2 of them fit easily into Hatchback or would I need a Folder

If anyone can advise please do also any pics of bikes in back of Hatchback Car would be great

Thank you
Mylesm
lowrider

Re: Ebike to fit in hatchback

Post by lowrider »

mylesm

Hybrids unfortunately are not as practical as a petrol or diesel car, not that well known is they cant tow (or not well) the sales publicity dont mention things like that. However I have a friend who`s got a tow bar fitted to a Toyota hybrid and does tow a light trailer ( very) although not recommended by the manufacturer.

The point is the restriction he has is on towing due to the shortcoming's of the system, not on the tow bar itself, you will be using it only as a bracket to mount a rack. I assume that there will be tow bars available for petrol or diesel models of the same vehicle, just get one of them fitted. Providing the weight with the bikes and the rack does exceed the maximum loading of the car or the tow bar of course and worth checking any insurance issue just in case. Also check the rear or the car where the bar would be fitted is the same as a normal car.

E bikes tend to be pretty heavy and akward to manhandle even folders are not light. Putting two bikes into a car even conventional ones usually is not straight forward. An e bike is worse, given the weight it would be easy to damage them or the car getting them in and out of the back. It would need to be a large hatch or a van so you could keep them upright.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

I can lift my Orbea Gain into the Hyundai Matrix - back seats down - without removing the front wheel. No chance of getting a second one in.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

mylesm wrote:I recently purchased a BMW 225XE Hatchback with the intention of carrying 2 Ebikes On a Tow ball Carrier

Welcome.

Are you sure that there is no towbar solution? What year and registration number (if you're happy putting that in a public forum)?

Jonathan
millimole

Post by millimole »

I've only found towbar type solutions for jaguar and tesla electric cars in the UK. No other electric cars appear to allow for towbar to be fitted (legally / in accordance with the manufacturer's warranty).
There are a couple where towbar fitting is permitted in The Netherlands and Germany, but the same vehicle isn't homologated for a towbar fitting in the UK!
That's how I ended up with a Toyota CHR hybrid - towbar fitted by the dealer.
The purveyors of electric cars are missing a trick.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
mylesm

Post by mylesm »

Jdsk wrote:
mylesm wrote:I recently purchased a BMW 225XE Hatchback with the intention of carrying 2 Ebikes On a Tow ball Carrier

Welcome.

Are you sure that there is no towbar solution? What year and registration number (if you're happy putting that in a public forum)?

Jonathan

Thanks very much I live in Dublin so Reg is Irish but its the same model as this

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202103150172123?model=2%20SERIES%20ACTIVE%20TOURER&year-from=2019&postcode=bt364pe&radius=1500&sort=relevance&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=Used&fuel-type=Hybrid%20%E2%80%93%20Petrol%2FElectric%20Plug-in&include-delivery-option=on&make=BMW&advertising-location=at_cars&year-to=2019&page=1

Reg No DW19-GXH

I cant seem to find a Towbar solution

Mylesm
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Ah... I guess that UK registration checkers won't work with that?

What year? And can you confirm that it's an F22:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_2_Series_(F22)

Jonathan
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Jdsk wrote:Ah... I guess that UK registration checkers won't work with that?

Jonathan

Yes it will :) Thats a U.K. reg
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

That registration at Witter returns:
https://www.witter-towbars.co.uk/towbars-by-reg/8728/20190710

So I'd ask them directly about your model. (It's often possible to find cheaper solutions, but they're a good place to start.)

And as above, ask BMW about approval.

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

How heavy are the bikes? (I've no idea about e-bikes). Practical to lift them above your head? (thinking about standing them of roof-rack bike rack. (Remove batteries 1st)

Ian
mylesm

Post by mylesm »

Jdsk wrote:Ah... I guess that UK registration checkers won't work with that?

What year? And can you confirm that it's an F22:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_2_Series_(F22)

Jonathan

It's the same as the one i linked above in autotrader it's a 225xe f45 hybrid
Thanks
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

A tow-bar is a no-no if the manufacturer of the car hasn't type-approved it for towing - you may find a different model is approved (say the petrol or diesel, or different trim version), but that doesn't help your specific version if it hasn't been approved by the manufacturer. Its been that way throughout Europe for over 20 years. No way around it, other than "ignoring the rules", which may, or may not lead to problems with insurance or the authorities if there is a reason to look at the vehicle (say after an accident, even if not relevant to towing).

What might be possible is a non-towing tow-bar. Which is a tow-bar for a bike carrier. It has the weight carrying (up to the ball weight) and the electrics for the lighting board. Its not a tow-bar as such (because not approved for a trailer, so not legal to tow a trailer). A number of non-towing BMW-group products have this option (such as some Mini's). Whether its OK in Ireland, I can't say, I don't know what Irish regulations say.

Roof mounted is the other option, and there are roof mounts for bikes with a hydraulically balanced arm to lift the weight of the bike. But that will depend on the max roof loading of the vehicle, given the fairly high weight of many e-bikes (removing battery will help the weight!).

- Nigel
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

What a palaver - it never entered my head re electric/hybrid cars and towing.

Every day really IS a school day.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Tiberius wrote:What a palaver - it never entered my head re electric/hybrid cars and towing.

Its not just hybrids/electrics - though there are very few electrics which are type approved for any towing.
An awful lot of normal petrol/diesels are not approved either, from many small hatchbacks, through numerous specific models of mainstream sized cars.

If a tow-ball is a consideration, the specific car model has to be checked for both type-approval for towing, and availability of an approved towing fitments.

- Nigel
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

Nigel wrote:
Tiberius wrote:What a palaver - it never entered my head re electric/hybrid cars and towing.

Its not just hybrids/electrics - though there are very few electrics which are type approved for any towing.
An awful lot of normal petrol/diesels are not approved either, from many small hatchbacks, through numerous specific models of mainstream sized cars.

If a tow-ball is a consideration, the specific car model has to be checked for both type-approval for towing, and availability of an approved towing fitments.

- Nigel

Interesting. Thanks for the info'.... :)