Small person’s problem

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Vicp

Small person’s problem

Post by Vicp »

Hi all I’m looking at buying a electric bike to join my husband and have come across a a problem, my size! I’m just 5 ft very few brands make a xs frame and even fewer have them in stock. So my question is has anybody purchased a junior e bike ? Or are they a waste of money I have found a Scott Roxter and a Haibike hard4 ??
yakdiver

Re: Small person’s problem

Post by yakdiver »

What about a bike conversion DIY kit
https://www.cyclotricity.com/uk/
peterb

Post by peterb »

How about a Ribble with step through frame, hybrid or dropped bar versions? https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-hybrid-al-e-step-through-standard/build/#Bike
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Plus 1 for a conversion - buy exactly the bike you'd like, then pop a Swytch kit on it. I was speaking to a chap I know y'day, who's done exactly that and he said it had worked very well.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

Mrs F is also 5ft and has recently purchased a Specialized Synapse Neo SE Gravel bike. I can confirm that it seems to fit her really well even though the small is intended for 5 ft 3 in to 5ft 7 in.
oldtimer99

Post by oldtimer99 »

Mrs OT bought an Islabike Janis in January. She's 5ft 3in and I can't get the silly grin off her face.
oldtimer99

Post by oldtimer99 »

Whoops...meant to say it was XS frame
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Islabikes and Kalkhoff both make bikes for smaller people.

My neighbour is about your height & has a Kalkhoff. I don't see XS as a size on their website, but the small sizes are are about the same frame size as my 12 year old's bike.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
peterb

Post by peterb »

Another Ribble, just introduced, XX small frame available. https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-gravel-al-e-sport/
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

My wife is 4'10". I've installed a Woosh kit on her Kettwiesel trike - she's ecstatic and my sometimes lonely long distance rides now come with company :D
Sgpeg2016

Post by Sgpeg2016 »

I have just got an Orbea Gain in XS and am 5ft 1 ish. Am in love with new bike.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

simonineaston wrote:Plus 1 for a conversion - buy exactly the bike you'd like, then pop a Swytch kit on it. I was speaking to a chap I know y'day, who's done exactly that and he said it had worked very well.

One of my friends did similarly, though sourced his motor, battery, controller unit, etc.. as separate parts. He fitted a bottom bracket motor, but one narrow enough to permit a double chainring if he finds that is necessary (so far, its only on a single). Says the total bill was under £700, and delighted by the results on a old-but-decent frame with good modern wheels and brakes.
DiggyGun

Post by DiggyGun »

We had the same problem with my wife being 5’2”. We looked at Wisper bikes and ended up getting her the 705, which worked for her. They also do a folding bike, the 806, which is more compact and has a smaller frame.