E-BIKES KIT CONVERSIONS

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Oldjohnw

Re: E-BIKES KIT CONVERSIONS

Post by Oldjohnw »

Cyril Haearn wrote: 18 Apr 2021, 2:49pm
Oldjohnw wrote: 18 Apr 2021, 10:46am How can you tell (a) the level of stupidity and (b) the level of fitness/ability/disability by a brief glimpse of them cycling past?

E bikes go neither faster not slower than other bikes. Speed in excess of 15mph on both types depends entirely on the physical input of the cyclist.
I correctly moved over to pass a walker, I was doing maybe 14 kmh. Before I could move back over an €biker UNDERtook me doing maybe 30 kmh. If I had not been **,%# careful, Anything could have happened

It could just as easily have been a conventional bike at that speed. Plenty of cyclists on these pages talk of those speeds. And if the bike was legal, as the vast amount are, it would be operating entirely under human power at that speed. So it isn’t really obvious what your point is.
John
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Very simple: Speed Kills. And two wrongs do not make a right :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

How do you define speed? And what are the two wrongs? And how is undertaking specific to e -bikes?

Edited to read e-bikes
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 18 Apr 2021, 10:07pm, edited 2 times in total.
John
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Speed is momentum per the laws of physics. One wrong is €bikes going too fast, another wrong is cycles without motors going too fast, -2 Undertaking is unwise in many circumstances, not just when cycling. More laws are needed

I am an exemplary cyclist, on my 49" fixed I am always in control and can not exceed 15 mph. I pedal fast and get enough exercise without the dubious thrill of high road speeds
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cyril Haearn wrote: 18 Apr 2021, 9:14pmSpeed is momentum per the laws of physics.
No, it isn't: they're different properties. But for many common or garden scenarios they're closely related because the mass of interest doesn't change.

Jonathan
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

A real world experience. I live in a very hilly area so on one or two occasions I achieve some speed whether I like it or not: pay back is a steep climb. The higher speeds are there whether an assisted or unassisted bike.

I guess this is pretty typical of many.
Screenshot_20210419-081128.png
John
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Jdsk wrote: 18 Apr 2021, 9:31pm
Cyril Haearn wrote: 18 Apr 2021, 9:14pmSpeed is momentum per the laws of physics.
No, it isn't: they're different properties. But for many common or garden scenarios they're closely related because the mass of interest doesn't change.

Jonathan
I don’t think the OP was being particularly into physics here. The statement was “speed kills”. What speed? 10kph? 14kph? 25.5kph?
John
horizon

Re: E-BIKES FOR ALL

Post by horizon »

TonyN wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 4:34pm Hi everyone - My article has certainly set off a great deal of discussion.
Considering that it was intended as instructive help for riders of lower means to carry on with their cycling into older age or reduced physical capacity only two of the replies are really relevant.
The rest of the replies have turned into the usual pro and con ebikes arguments mainly centred around perceived dangers which accident statistics do not seem to support. I do hope that out there somewhere there are potential e-converters who will find my writings helpful and can get themselves back on the road at the very modest speeds enjoyed by my wife and myself in our eighties.
Hi Tony: I can't speak for other posters but my own comment was simply in response to part of your OP about downhill high-end MTB'ers. The rest of what you wrote made complete sense - it would certainly be my approach were I to consider an e-bike either for myself or Mrs H. We both have Dawes Sardars and I think that is the right kind of bike for conversion.

I've personally never had any problems on the road with e-bikes but I do have some reservations about MTBs in for example woodland areas or on the North Downs. I do wonder if motorized MTBs might exacerbate that. I have other reservations about e-bikes being the best solution in other situations too, but let's face it, e-bikes are a recent, significant and fairly sudden phenomenon - there are bound to be reactions both positive and negative until things settle down.

BTW, the greatest danger I have faced in recent years from other cyclists was due to fast overtaking on the left. This was in London where there are vast numbers of e-bikes which themselves gave me no problems at all.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

When you are in a hole the standard advice is "stop digging" :mrgreen:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
willcee

Post by willcee »

I banned the troll some months since , I despise those who critique any form of transport without having as someone here suggested a day in the OP shoes...personally they should have the sense to FO.... its seems I'm not the only objector to the demented words they spew weekly and weakly.. mods.. bloody do something..will
Antbrewer

Post by Antbrewer »

To markjohnobrien.... You are wasting your breath. Dear Cyril Hearn pops up every time the terrible subject of ebikes comes up. We have been here before more than once I can assure you. Best to ignore it.
However I do wonder if in fact he's just having a chuckle and he really rides an ebike himself spreading cheer across the land?
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Antbrewer wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 5:56pm

To markjohnobrien.... You are wasting your breath. Dear Cyril Hearn pops up every time the terrible subject of ebikes comes up. We have been here before more than once I can assure you. Best to ignore it.
However I do wonder if in fact he's just having a chuckle and he really rides an ebike himself spreading cheer across the land?
Thank you for the reply-

He is on the losing side of history as sales of e-bikes are increasing year on year and Raleigh sells enormous amounts of them (being the top e-bike seller in the UK) and I’m hoping that increasing numbers are seen in the luddite’s patch, in his local park, etc.

Isn’t progress good when it enables older people to keep cycling.

Happy days, I say.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Progress? More like busin€$$, selling €bikes to people, many of whom do not need them, for thousands instead of hundreds. Not to mention profit on replacement batteries &c

As described above, an €bike driver came within a whisker of killing me, I am *@#€& careful to avoid them where possible

I spent a lot of money on retirement, to move to a low-lying area where there are few hills so I hope never to need an €bike. I shall get a trike instead and cycle through the park at 6 kmh

I have ridden an E bike actually, it tried to whizz off, very frightening

I shall NOT be reporting the dubious language above! It says more about those who wrote it than it does about me
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 20 Apr 2021, 5:27pm, edited 1 time in total.
willcee

Post by willcee »

Personally I like many others on this great well balanced knowledgeable forum don't care who OP reports to as I feel we are in the right and in majority ,only a fool wanders in where he's not liked or wanted especially when his narrow minded unscientific warblings mark him out as a wannabe.. So OP go wannabe somewhere else and take the Gillott with you...neither will be missed.. will
Antbrewer

Post by Antbrewer »

I am rather envious of some of you chaps .
A couple of years ago we had on here (electric bikes) another rant by this same unnamed hater of all things especially ebikes. It went on in much the same way as this present thread has and I got so fed I posted a silly comment with perhaps a touch of minor sarcasm but nothing rude. Nothing like the strong and reasonable things said in response to the last few days.
But I was ticked off by the moderator so I then apologised to the said 'Hater of all things common sense'.
So good luck to you.