E-BIKES KIT CONVERSIONS

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
TonyN

Re: E-BIKES FOR ALL

Post by TonyN »

Hi everyone - My article has certainly set off a great deal of discussion.
Considering that it was intended as instructive help for riders of lower means to carry on with their cycling into older age or reduced physical capacity only two of the replies are really relevant.
The rest of the replies have turned into the usual pro and con ebikes arguments mainly centred around perceived dangers which accident statistics do not seem to support. I do hope that out there somewhere there are potential e-converters who will find my writings helpful and can get themselves back on the road at the very modest speeds enjoyed by my wife and myself in our eighties.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I'm sure that there are, Tony.

We're not ready yet, but it's good to know that they'll extend our cycling years.

Jonathan
willcee

Re: E-BIKES KIT CONVERSIONS

Post by willcee »

Tony welcome... IT was my interest way back in was it 2013 that started this section on E bikes, yet it seems detractors sneak out of the net here to accost those who dare to join the assisted club, yet while able to expound their skewed views having never tried E power and cannot wait to hail all who read this section about what they shouldn't do.. I pray that none of them ever need assistance...
I still enjoy a decent run , speed isn't everything, but easy climbing is addictive ,a well respected fellow contributor Brucey and I had some interesting conversations before my first build ,his sage advice useful as always, I hope as we all do that he's making progress in recovery, now I've built around 30 for friends and contacts, nobody yet has had any issues with the police, we were using them before N.I . got same laws as GB , and thank God no smashes either..Keep up the good work... will
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

E bikes are great for us old codgers. I have yet to see ANYONE on an E bike streaking along in the past 2 years endangering anyone else. But, I have seen idiots on ordinary road bikes and knuckle draggers on MTBs occasionally doing just that.

Without the E bike on many local 1 in 4s at 78 I would be stuffed!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

I’ve got no problem with e-bikes as you still have to pedal, unlike those e-scooters, and I’ll definitely be getting one when I’m older and need a bit of assistance up steep hills. If it helps people to enjoy cycling, great.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Hear hear!

Spot on fellow oldies and others with various limitations. Never condemn someone until you are walking in their shoes.

I once read someone saying they would rather stop cycling than use e-assist. We’ll see.
John
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

It’s still cycling but with varying levels of assistance - especially uphill: I don’t agree with the animosity towards e-bikes. Maybe, in the future, I’ll need one and it will be a boon! Being able to continue a hobby - great!
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
rjb

Post by rjb »

TonyN wrote: 9 Apr 2021, 3:53pm So the disks which were supplied with our kits had to have the centre hole band-saw enlarged to clear the bearing shell and are epoxy resin g This is not as insecure as it may appear because the magnetic studs in the disk clamp it firmly to the chainwheel before the glue is applied and our disks have an outer diameter which fits perfectly onto an 11 tooth chainwheel. The pick-up unit comes with a mounting bracket washer which fits onto the screw-in bottom bracket bearing.
11 tooth chainwheel :shock:

Any chance of some photos to show how you glued this on. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

May one ask why the thread was titled 'ebikes for all?'
What really makes me sick is young fit people getting €bikes cheap with tax relief, to travel to work, I think this is just a ruse to boost retail. But apparently cycle sales have been increasing anyway. Young fit stupid people get financial help to buy €bikes they do not need, they whizz around too fast endangering real cyclists, walkers, old people, children. Makes me sick
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Cyril Haearn wrote: 18 Apr 2021, 8:43am May one ask why the thread was titled 'ebikes for all?'
What really makes me sick is young fit people getting €bikes cheap with tax relief, to travel to work, I think this is just a ruse to boost retail. But apparently cycle sales have been increasing anyway. Young fit stupid people get financial help to buy €bikes they do not need, they whizz around too fast endangering real cyclists, walkers, old people, children. Makes me sick

Have you got the evidence to back up that assertion of alleged danger?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

How can you tell (a) the level of stupidity and (b) the level of fitness/ability/disability by a brief glimpse of them cycling past?

E bikes go neither faster not slower than other bikes. Speed in excess of 15mph on both types depends entirely on the physical input of the cyclist.
John
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

al_yrpal wrote: 18 Apr 2021, 2:44pm I remember a rather silly discussion like this concerning unecessary button pushing on pedestrian crossings. Good luck with it... 😒

Al
Thanks very much for mentioning that again. The cops have not started enforcing traffic law yet, so I am still doing it
Not silly, very purposeful!
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Not silly, not purposeful, just plain and simple stupidity...

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
stodd

Post by stodd »

Cyril Haearn wrote: 18 Apr 2021, 2:49pm I correctly moved over to pass a walker, I was doing maybe 14 kmh. Before I could move back over an €biker UNDERtook me doing maybe 30 kmh. If I had not been **,%# careful, Anything could have happened
I've had very similar things happen while riding my ebike and navigating as carefully as possible on a shared path, and being undertaken by someone on a regular bike (he was probably only doing 18mph).
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I have learnt to use my mirror and be very scared/careful :?