Chatting to a mate today ..........

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Grumpy-Grandad

Re: Chatting to a mate today ..........

Post by Grumpy-Grandad »

Mick F wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 1:58pm My thought is that some eBikers aren't lifelong cyclists. They've come to it feeling that they would like to cycle, but are frightened by the prospect of the effort, so go for electrical assistance if they need it or not.
I'm definitely not a lifelong cyclist (motorcycles yes, bicycles no) ..... and have started cycling aged 65.
I am most certainly NOT frightened by the prospect of the effort but do not like the awful pain from osteoarthritis so having an eBike really does help me.
I use the lowest assistance level I can in balance with my pain level at any given time.
If I couldn't do this I would be unable to ride.

I'm riding for pleasure and mental health ...... I have no interest in racing around ....... actually I doubt very much if I'm even capable of racing as my get up and go has mostly got up and gone now :wink:
Steve
richtea99

Post by richtea99 »

Mick F wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 1:58pm Once you've got it, it's only natural that you'll use it to best effect. It takes a certain sort of person to limit the assistance the eBike provides.
I use the minimum needed to get up the worst hills. I charge up maybe once every 6-7 rides, each being 15-25 miles long, and I use the battery once or twice a ride on average. I'm not commuting, so speed (approx 10-12mph) isn't of the essence.
Maybe I'm that sort of person!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, I'm sure you are, as are the people on here.

I'm saying - or at least trying to say - that many people who ride these bikes aren't cycle-enthusiasts, more that they've taken up cycling as a form of exercise use an eBike is their preference.

They're the sort of people who will use the electricity the most .................... or that's the evidence I see round here.

My mate's wife is a case in point maybe. He had to buy an eBike to keep up with her, rather than her slowing down and using the lecky less.
Mick F. Cornwall