Carbo Model X Folding Electric Bike and hills

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
LinusR

Carbo Model X Folding Electric Bike and hills

Post by LinusR »

A friend of mine is thinking of buying a Carbo Model X Folding Electric Bike. https://velorution.com/carbo-model-x-fo ... -bike.html

He's currently a 3-speed Brompton rider and uses it for short journeys around London and train-assisted journeys. He's been riding this for more than 10 years. He's six foot tall and heavy. At a guess I'd say he's 17 stone (108kg). He's also got multiple health issues and is in his early sixties. He struggles to get up the hills and usually gets off and walks. Hence, he wants to get an electrical assisted folding bike.

The Carbo Model X Folding Electric Bike is a single speed belt drive and I commented that it might not be that good on a steep hill. I'm thinking of Highgate West Hill in north London where he visits a friend and has to usually walk his Brompton. My reasoning is that with a single gear the 250w motor will struggle on the steeper gradients (maybe more than 10 percent). The hill is about a kilometre long and rises about 70m. Will he grind to a halt if his cadence slows? Or am I wrong and he'll just whizz up it at 15.5mph?
stodd

Re: Carbo Model X Folding Electric Bike and hills

Post by stodd »

LinusR wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 6:58pm A friend of mine is thinking of buying a Carbo Model X Folding Electric Bike. https://velorution.com/carbo-model-x-fo ... -bike.html
At a guess I'd say he's 17 stone (108kg).
I think you are probably right to be very suspicious.

Their web page is typically very low on detailed specs; the more 'designer focussed' a bike is the less they want to let you know what you are really getting. I'd be surprised if that frame were suitable for a 17 stone rider; no information on that. Also no indication of what torque to expect; all legal motors are 'powerful 250 watt'. That one is a 'high torque' Bafang so probably a decent motor. It's handy the bike is light for loading in car etc, but it won't make a significant difference on the road.