Etiquette on hills

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
BertYardbrush

Re: Etiquette on hills

Post by BertYardbrush »

When I rode with Spire, in Chesterfield - before lockdowns - on my Kalkhoff, I would ride with the group till the last hill then with "permission to speed" I would belt up the last hill, often Beeley. I felt it my duty to get the best out of the bike on the way home.
Since then I have had an Orbea Gain and am now waiting delivery of a Scott Sub Sport Eride with Bosch motor as I'm now in hilly West Yorks and declining fitness.
The primary reason for buying an Ebike should be FUN. Regardless of your age, you're out there having fun.
Yes give the unpowered ride plenty of room and an apologetic wave as you leave them in your wake.
stodd

Post by stodd »

BertYardbrush wrote: 1 Jul 2021, 5:30pm The primary reason for buying an Ebike should be FUN. Regardless of your age, you're out there having fun.
Absolutely. Another area where ebikes are exactly like regular bikes.
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

ChrisF wrote: 1 May 2021, 10:02pm I've recently added a battery and motor to my old(ish) Super Galaxy . I'm a lifelong cyclist and now (at 68) finding hills a lot more difficult than before - a common situation I believe.
Today I used this e-bike to do a loop in the Yorkshire Dales, which included going up the hill west of Pateley Bridge (Greenhow?) which is 2 miles long and includes several sections at 16%. Halfway up the first such section there was a guy on a non-e-bike going up at a steady pace - not fast, but not crawling either. I was rapidly approaching him, even though my controller was only on the second of 5 bars (40% ?) and I was still in the big ring (I'm not trying to boast here, I couldn't have got up there at all with my other bike, without several rest stops).
I didn't really want to pass him, though, because I though it would annoy him. I ended up stopping unnecessarily to wait, and then finally moving to 20% assistance to slow me down. After 2 miles of climbing he was still there ahead of me, having had no rests.
Had I wanted to go faster, what should I have said as I passed him? Or did I do the right thing?
Just overtake. If people on proper bicycles are anything like me, they will completely ignore you because you are on a moped!
If you are embarrassed it just shows what you actually feel is a proper bicycle.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Age catches up with all of us eventually. If an Ebike allows the enjoyment of cycling to continue, I’m all for that.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

If you are embarrassed it just shows what you actually feel is a proper bicycle.
OED definition of “bicycle”:
A two-wheeled vehicle that you sit on and move by turning the two pedals (= flat parts you press with your feet):
John
Blondie

Post by Blondie »

The only etiquette on hills. If you overtake someone don’t slow to the point that the person you’ve overtaken has to slow down themselves or overtake you.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Several thoughts. If you are with your mates steam past them, turn around at the top and go back for a second go. Wait at the top and move off just as they get there. Your mates are for teasing.
Not your mates? Who cares then?
My only small moan is that most of the e-riders on the road around here seem to be novices with no concept of cycling courtesy. But then that applies to most new cyclists.
e-MTBers tend to ride in packs chatting and ignore me in the same way as a car does.
You'll catch them on the flat on a normal bike anyway.
Marcus Aurelius

mattsccm wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 7:31am Several thoughts. If you are with your mates steam past them, turn around at the top and go back for a second go. Wait at the top and move off just as they get there. Your mates are for teasing.
Not your mates? Who cares then?
My only small moan is that most of the e-riders on the road around here seem to be novices with no concept of cycling courtesy. But then that applies to most new cyclists.
e-MTBers tend to ride in packs chatting and ignore me in the same way as a car does.
You'll catch them on the flat on a normal bike anyway.
There’s a legal limit to the Wattage assistance, for a road legal eBike ( I think it’s 250 Watts ). That would equate to a very useful speed on the flat, but rubbish on a steep, long climb. Of course, YouTube and other video sharing type sites are very good at instructing people, in how to get around / hack legal motors. That’s up to the riders in question I guess.
peterb

Post by peterb »

Marcus Aurelius wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 3:55pm
There’s a legal limit to the Wattage assistance, for a road legal eBike ( I think it’s 250 Watts ). That would equate to a very useful speed on the flat, but rubbish on a steep, long climb. Of course, YouTube and other video sharing type sites are very good at instructing people, in how to get around / hack legal motors. That’s up to the riders in question I guess.
But that 'very useful speed on the flat' is only 15.5 mph. Up to that point it helps, but no further. On uphills the assistance is very helpful and if I'm with a non - e group I find I have to ease back on many climbs if I want to remain part of the ride. Long very steep ascents are a different kettle of fish, however.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Clubmates who ride e-bikes in my local cycling group have explained to the rest of us that when we're climbing especially steep hills we need to keep out of their way and let them by, not hold them up, or at least not cause them to come down to our lowest speed, because below a certain speed the e-bike's motor will 'stall'. Maybe not quite the same as a petrol engine stalling but I think they just mean they'll eventually lose the power assistance and get stuck.

Those who ride e-bikes might be able to explain that better, but AIUI it's a thing.
Marcus Aurelius

kylecycler wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 5:59pm Clubmates who ride e-bikes in my local cycling group have explained to the rest of us that when we're climbing especially steep hills we need to keep out of their way and let them by, not hold them up, or at least not cause them to come down to our lowest speed, because below a certain speed the e-bike's motor will 'stall'. Maybe not quite the same as a petrol engine stalling but I think they just mean they'll eventually lose the power assistance and get stuck.

Those who ride e-bikes might be able to explain that better, but AIUI it's a thing.
I’ve never actually had the issue of ‘getting in the way’ of an Ebike
peterb

Post by peterb »

kylecycler wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 5:59pm Clubmates who ride e-bikes in my local cycling group have explained to the rest of us that when we're climbing especially steep hills we need to keep out of their way and let them by, not hold them up, or at least not cause them to come down to our lowest speed, because below a certain speed the e-bike's motor will 'stall'. Maybe not quite the same as a petrol engine stalling but I think they just mean they'll eventually lose the power assistance and get stuck.

I've not noticed that. I try to match the speed of non assisted riders. Not the fastest, not the slowest. I'm happy to give a tow if needed, just as I find it helps to try and stay on a wheel. I try to keep the power level as low as possible, to save range. If I have to stop it's my leg muscles that have given up, not the bike.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

"There’s a legal limit to the Wattage assistance, for a road legal eBike ( I think it’s 250 Watts ). That would equate to a very useful speed on the flat, but rubbish on a steep, long climb. Of course, YouTube and other video sharing type sites are very good at instructing people, in how to get around / hack legal motors. That’s up to the riders in question I guess."
Nope. Other way round surely?
15mph isn't much cop on a nice flat road but being able to keep that up on a nice long steep hill is.
stodd

Post by stodd »

mattsccm wrote: 6 Aug 2021, 12:22pm "There’s a legal limit to the Wattage assistance, for a road legal eBike ( I think it’s 250 Watts ). That would equate to a very useful speed on the flat, but rubbish on a steep, long climb.
The 250w legal limit is for rated continuous power. Most legal motors will sustain much more than that for most hills.

For some common proprietary motors see https://electricbikereview.com/forums/t ... ose.14085/
The relatively low power XF07 on our tandem will peak around 400w (output)
https://ebikes.ca/tools/simulator.html? ... &throt=100

The ratings are pretty arbitrary. Sometimes the same motor is sold rated 250w in UK/EU or 350w is US.

Even 250w will push a total 80kg load up a 10% hill at 5mph with no user assistance. For this to be realistic assumes appropriate gearing for the motor, which won't generally be true.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Marcus Aurelius wrote: 29 Jun 2021, 3:11pm I’ve never understood why anyone would get the hump about being passed by an e bike. It’s just the same as being passed by any other sort of motorised vehicle.
I can't help it I always see red and push hard till I am past and I've left them behind :mrgreen:
Mind you my heart rate always shoots above 180 :?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.