Etiquette on hills

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
ChrisF

Etiquette on hills

Post by ChrisF »

I've recently added a battery and motor to my old(ish) Super Galaxy . I'm a lifelong cyclist and now (at 68) finding hills a lot more difficult than before - a common situation I believe.
Today I used this e-bike to do a loop in the Yorkshire Dales, which included going up the hill west of Pateley Bridge (Greenhow?) which is 2 miles long and includes several sections at 16%. Halfway up the first such section there was a guy on a non-e-bike going up at a steady pace - not fast, but not crawling either. I was rapidly approaching him, even though my controller was only on the second of 5 bars (40% ?) and I was still in the big ring (I'm not trying to boast here, I couldn't have got up there at all with my other bike, without several rest stops).
I didn't really want to pass him, though, because I though it would annoy him. I ended up stopping unnecessarily to wait, and then finally moving to 20% assistance to slow me down. After 2 miles of climbing he was still there ahead of me, having had no rests.
Had I wanted to go faster, what should I have said as I passed him? Or did I do the right thing?
Chris F, Cornwall
Paulatic

Re: Etiquette on hills

Post by Paulatic »

Say hello as you come past.
Don’t make it look too easy as you come by with a big grin on your face that really rubs it in.
I’ve done regular rides with two Ebike riders. One of them climbs hills along side you. The other knocks it up a level and shoots off.
Guess which guy I prefer to ride with. :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
rfryer

Post by rfryer »

I think that you're over-thinking it - I'd just overtake with a cheery "Hello". He'd probably be relieved that the cyclist that was reeling him in so easily was "cheating"!!!
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Just acknowledge him and go past - whether saying morning, hello, or afternoon, they will be pleased of the common courtesy.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
richtea99

Post by richtea99 »

I had a woman fly past me on a Pendleton eBike up an incline - all nice & upright whilst I was grinding & sweating away - she smiled and said hello. I blurted out 'Jealous!'. It was one of the reasons I bought an eBike - a convincing sell!
You may create a convert if you're polite on the overtake - he might want to know a bit more at the top of the hill.

Of course, the other way round is more fun - you're climbing with no assistance, and you notice someone coming up behind you, but a fair distance off. A quick flick of the switch and away you go. They'll not catch you, and the secret stays with you as you sail over the top.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

richtea99 wrote: 1 May 2021, 10:51pm I had a woman fly past me on a Pendleton eBike up an incline - all nice & upright whilst I was grinding & sweating away - she smiled and said hello. I blurted out 'Jealous!'. It was one of the reasons I bought an eBike - a convincing sell!
You may create a convert if you're polite on the overtake - he might want to know a bit more at the top of the hill.

Of course, the other way round is more fun - you're climbing with no assistance, and you notice someone coming up behind you, but a fair distance off. A quick flick of the switch and away you go. They'll not catch you, and the secret stays with you as you sail over the top.
That sounds fun: zooming off into the distance.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

My problem is convincing people that my bike isn't electric :D
BikeE.jpg
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Stradageek wrote: 2 May 2021, 8:23am My problem is convincing people that my bike isn't electric :D
Please, how do you sit on that machine? Looks like the saddle slopes down, so one might slide forward
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

rfryer wrote: 1 May 2021, 10:17pm I think that you're over-thinking it - I'd just overtake with a cheery "Hello". He'd probably be relieved that the cyclist that was reeling him in so easily was "cheating"!!!
I's suggest explaining you had a motor. Then forget it, unless the overtaken rider tucked in behind, then you'd have to decide between doing a sort of Derny or trying to drop him.
====================================================================

This has reminded me of the importance of being able to slow down safely on this road. eg for Dibble's Bridge

viewtopic.php?p=1558530#p1558530
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Cyril Haearn wrote: 2 May 2021, 8:40am
Stradageek wrote: 2 May 2021, 8:23am My problem is convincing people that my bike isn't electric :D
Please, how do you sit on that machine? Looks like the saddle slopes down, so one might slide forward
Put your feet down or on the pedals...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Always give a rider you’re passing up a hill a lot of room. I’ve lost count of the times I’ve startled a rider who’s been in front of me, because they’re concentrating on the road so much. They can really shoot across in front of you and / or fall off in front of you if you’re not careful.
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 2 May 2021, 12:42pm
Cyril Haearn wrote: 2 May 2021, 8:40am
Put your feet down or on the pedals...
Pretty much; the picture was taken with the bike on a slope so it looks much more tilted forward than it really is. In actuality it is adjustable for tilt but generally set to tilt forward a little so that you thigh muscles aren't constantly pummeled by the pedaling action. Also as Bob says the pedaling action pushes you up and back and with the pretty squidgy seat you sink into it rather than slide off.

Not my favourite seat however, that goes to the Speedmachine, on the SM I actually go for ride whenever my dodgy back is giving me pain (which is much of the time) as it both eliminates the pain and is totally pain free whilst riding :D
IMG_1684-1.jpg
peterb

Post by peterb »

On group rides I learnt to hold back and stay one or two places back from the fitter ones. Shooting off the front then hanging about waiting at the top of the hill is not going to make you popular! In the OP's case, on a long hill I would have continued at my own pace and explained how on the way past, maybe offered a tow, even. On short hills I've done exactly as described and hung back. BTW ChrisF, may I ask what kit you used to convert the Galaxy?
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

Correct etiquette is to stop and offer to swap bikes with the toiling rider, at least until the top of the hill. :wink:
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Witness the bloke I usually ride with and who p's me off mightily. He went electric two years back, while I'm still using the muscles my momma gave me. When we're on the flat he bellyaches if we go over 25 kph (his bike does weigh somewhere north of a metric shirtload) yet he grumbles about "autonomy" if we ride at 24.5, so we're usually dawdling along at around 22 kph. When we hit a decent hill then bzzzz-zzzzz-zzzz-zzzzz and he's away up it while I blow my aortal arch up like a barrage balloon trying to catch up. Up at the top he has recovered (from what???) while I'm still wheezing like a grampus and riding in zig-zags.

Every so often, when we get onto a decent long flat, I put the hammer down and leave him about a klick behind, but then when he finally catches up I feel guilty.

Dear Aunt Marge, what can I do?
Have we got time for another cuppa?