Etiquette on hills

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
mjr

Re: Etiquette on hills

Post by mjr »

Audax67 wrote: 2 May 2021, 5:13pm Every so often, when we get onto a decent long flat, I put the hammer down and leave him about a klick behind, but then when he finally catches up I feel guilty.

Dear Aunt Marge, what can I do?
Stop bleeding worrying! Just wait at the next junction or when you feel like a drink or snack or rest.

As to the opening post, just sound (bell, or voice if it's quiet) then overtake at 1.5+m and if you like excuse the electricity. Don't stalk the poor solely-pedal-powered up hills!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Some great answers, many thanks to all. I shall pass others with appropriate greetings next time.As to offering a 'tow', I've always wondered about that on hill climbs - aren't tows only really useful at higher speeds, when wind resistance is the main slowing factor?
peterb wrote: 2 May 2021, 4:56pm BTW ChrisF, may I ask what kit you used to convert the Galaxy?
A Woosh kit, rear hub motor,17AH downtube battery and LHS pedal sensor. Only real problem is that I can't fit the display to the bars, the clamp is too small - it's fitted vertically to the top of the steerer tube, so I can't see it unless I stop.
The kit works very well, much more powerful than I need - as a new user of an e-bike (after a lifetime of non-e) that leads to another question but I'll post separately about that.
Chris F, Cornwall
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Is it not the done thing to offer them a licorice allsort?
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

Not feel guilty?
richtea99

Post by richtea99 »

Mike Sales wrote: 2 May 2021, 8:28pm Is it not the done thing to offer them a licorice allsort?
An Uncle Joe's Mintball, please. I'd switch my assitance off for one of those.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

mjr wrote: 2 May 2021, 5:28pm
Audax67 wrote: 2 May 2021, 5:13pm Every so often, when we get onto a decent long flat, I put the hammer down and leave him about a klick behind, but then when he finally catches up I feel guilty.

Stop bleeding worrying! Just wait at the next junction or when you feel like a drink or snack or rest.

As to the opening post, just sound (bell, or voice if it's quiet) then overtake at 1.5+m and if you like excuse the electricity. Don't stalk the poor solely-pedal-powered up hills!
Oi! It's me the poor solely pedal-powered. He's the one with the big thick bottom (bracket, that is).
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

A67, get a tandem with or without power. As for sharing food, they should be lucky to get as much as a chocolate biscuit, as Mrs May said :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Grumpy-Grandad

Post by Grumpy-Grandad »

Etiquette? ..... don't get too caught up in it ...... just go past with a cheery "good morning" or whatever time of day it is :D
Steve
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

Audax67 wrote: 2 May 2021, 5:13pm Witness the bloke I usually ride with and who p's me off mightily. He went electric two years back, while I'm still using the muscles my momma gave me. When we're on the flat he bellyaches if we go over 25 kph (his bike does weigh somewhere north of a metric shirtload) yet he grumbles about "autonomy" if we ride at 24.5, so we're usually dawdling along at around 22 kph. When we hit a decent hill then bzzzz-zzzzz-zzzz-zzzzz and he's away up it while I blow my aortal arch up like a barrage balloon trying to catch up. Up at the top he has recovered (from what???) while I'm still wheezing like a grampus and riding in zig-zags.

Every so often, when we get onto a decent long flat, I put the hammer down and leave him about a klick behind, but then when he finally catches up I feel guilty.

Does he feel guilty when he waits for you at the top of the hill?
Continue to blow him away on the flat at over 25 km/h until he gets the message!

Mike
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Mike_Ayling wrote: 12 May 2021, 7:40am
Audax67 wrote: 2 May 2021, 5:13pm Witness the bloke I usually ride with and who p's me off mightily. He went electric two years back, while I'm still using the muscles my momma gave me. When we're on the flat he bellyaches if we go over 25 kph (his bike does weigh somewhere north of a metric shirtload) yet he grumbles about "autonomy" if we ride at 24.5, so we're usually dawdling along at around 22 kph. When we hit a decent hill then bzzzz-zzzzz-zzzz-zzzzz and he's away up it while I blow my aortal arch up like a barrage balloon trying to catch up. Up at the top he has recovered (from what???) while I'm still wheezing like a grampus and riding in zig-zags.

Every so often, when we get onto a decent long flat, I put the hammer down and leave him about a klick behind, but then when he finally catches up I feel guilty.

Does he feel guilty when he waits for you at the top of the hill?
Continue to blow him away on the flat at over 25 km/h until he gets the message!

Mike
Yes, agree with this.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

You're worrying too much.
If I get passed by a rider on an Ebike I'm just relieved that he/she has help. I feel much worse when it's a normal bike. :oops:
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

On my ebike I get passed by non ebikes. Now that really is good for morale.
John
stodd

Post by stodd »

Oldjohnw wrote: 13 May 2021, 9:21am On my ebike I get passed by non ebikes. Now that really is good for morale.
Us too ... and by runners.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

stodd wrote: 13 May 2021, 9:23am
Oldjohnw wrote: 13 May 2021, 9:21am On my ebike I get passed by non ebikes. Now that really is good for morale.
Us too ... and by runners.

...and the occasional Zimmer frame.
John
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I could think of lots of joking things to say as I pass yet another electric bike :P
But just say "Hello" (or as an old fart in devon says "Alright")
Opps the OP is on an electric :)

Seriously I catch and pass some TT guy on my tourer or climbing a steep hill some racer guy says "small gears" to me, rucksack paniers an all, who's dishing who, especially when my overtaking and gaining cadence in lower than him!
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.