Negative comments

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Oldjohnw

Negative comments

Post by Oldjohnw »

Anyone ever get negative comments above their ebike?

I have only had one - apart from on these pages. Most people are interested and think it a great idea to keep me in the saddle and admire me doing me tours. Only one accused me of being a cheat.

My bike, when loaded for touring, is not easily identifiable as an ebike because it has a retro fitted hub motor and the batter is on the rear rack, which is hidden by the panniers.
John
simonineaston

Re: Negative comments

Post by simonineaston »

Not yet... however mine's a Brompton nano, which looks sufficiently un-e-bike-like to escape disapproval. Having said that, as a serial user of small-wheeled bicycles, I am very used to unsolicited commentary!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
slowster

Post by slowster »

Try reversing the battery polarity.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

slowster wrote: 4 May 2021, 8:34am Try reversing the battery polarity.
:D :D :)

Is that a negative comment? Or, perhaps, neutral?
John
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Oldjohnw wrote: 4 May 2021, 7:22am Anyone ever get negative comments above their ebike?

I have only had one - apart from on these pages. Most people are interested and think it a great idea to keep me in the saddle and admire me doing me tours. Only one accused me of being a cheat.

My bike, when loaded for touring, is not easily identifiable as an ebike because it has a retro fitted hub motor and the batter is on the rear rack, which is hidden by the panniers.
"Only one accused me of being a cheat. " Is it really a negative comment, or just the need to say something?
NUKe

Post by Bonefishblues »

Oldjohnw wrote: 4 May 2021, 7:22am Anyone ever get negative comments above their ebike?

That's the saddest thing :cry:
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Bonefishblues wrote: 4 May 2021, 9:23am

That's the saddest thing :cry:
I agree: cycling is good and e-bikes are brilliant for enabling or assisting people to cycle and, hopefully, prolonging the cycling hobby.

When I’m older, I’ll definitely get an e-bike!
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Oldjohnw wrote: 4 May 2021, 7:22am
Not negative but I think there's something fishy about this.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

PDQ Mobile wrote: 4 May 2021, 10:45am
Oldjohnw wrote: 4 May 2021, 7:22am My bike, when loaded for touring, is not easily identifiable as an ebike because it has a retro fitted hub motor and the batter is on the rear rack, which is hidden by the panniers.
I think there's something fishy about this.
Guilty as charged?

Jonathan
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

No need to lose your tempura.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Oldjohnw wrote: 4 May 2021, 7:22am My bike, when loaded for touring, is not easily identifiable as an ebike because it has a retro fitted hub motor and the batter is on the rear rack, which is hidden by the panniers.
Which motor? I'm half thinking of motorizing my old Ti warhorse, because my coronary arteries are dodgy and so are a few other bits. I was looking at electric road bikes but they all seemed to be aimed at superannuated boy racers who'd sneer at the idea of luggage. Trek Domane might be OK but my wallet wouldn't. Scrub that: they all have disc brakes so (a) my dynamo wheels wouldn't work and (b) there's no brake-bolt hole through the fork crown to mount my lights. Where were these people brought up?
Last edited by Audax67 on 4 May 2021, 11:01am, edited 1 time in total.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
horizon

Post by horizon »

I've only had positive comments (and several interested queries) about my Tern Node 16 folder. It's black, has a full size rear rack, interesting handlebar layout (Andros stem) and thick oblong-shaped downtube. Many people* say they would like to get one and ask how much it cost.

I begin the let-down slowly, not wishing to dampen their enthusiasm but nevertheless having to let reality dawn on them. I think it's the gloss black paint, the smaller wheels and the thick down tube that convinces them.

* Yes, many, usually at least one on every longer trip.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
stodd

Post by stodd »

We've had a few "that's cheating you know", almost all pretty jocular and friendly, once or twice a little more barbed. Not nearly as many as the "she's not pedalling you know" on the (electric) tandem.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

NUKe wrote: 4 May 2021, 9:14am

"Only one accused me of being a cheat. " Is it really a negative comment, or just the need to say something?
I would say being called a cheat is pretty negative.
John
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

:D

Possibly something to do with the micro chips. Or the big one on my shoulder.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 4 May 2021, 11:31am, edited 1 time in total.
John