Negative comments

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
markjohnobrien

Re: Negative comments

Post by markjohnobrien »

Vetus Ossa wrote: 6 May 2021, 2:03pm Given the choice of not riding, or riding an ebike which are you going to choose.
If the former, I would think you are biting your nose off to spite your face.
Exactly: it’s a no brainer for me.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Oldjohnw wrote: 4 May 2021, 7:22am Anyone ever get negative comments above their ebike?

You can't win John, there's always someone who feels a need to comment.
I'll quite often push my bike up a hill, too steep for me, too knackered or just fancy a stroll.
I've had someone say 'that's cheating'...sound familiar ?
The last time a walker coming the other way said, 'I don't blame you for walking up there', I un-cheerily replied 'I don't blame me either'.
Good luck with your move by the way.
Nu-Fogey
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

willcee wrote: 7 May 2021, 2:09am interesting contri's.. myself however, haven't as yet had much in the way of derogatory remarks addressed going back to 2017 when I started with the E stuff and that in a enviroment over here where they were to all intents illegal.. when the legality issue disappeared some time ago there was certainly more E stuff on the move and other cyclists would stop when at a cafe halt and poke around looking and marvelling at the beasts.. usually asking, can I lift it? hefting it and commenting on the weight to which either me or my chum say you don't notice the weight except when stopping or starting or lifting it over kerbs or steps.. on the move its no issue.. some have come to my workshop for a test ride and come back beaming all over, and its by word of mouth that I get builds to complete or to source donor chassis for the job..my own story is that I went this route to say aboard when my hips went bad and again to keep me on the road when recovering from the ops 14 months apart...its addictive.. and fun..both of mine are mudguarded the more potent one is for winter and blowy dry days and my latest an Mahle x35 powered hub in a Whyte frameset is more akin to a normal machine and should get some good miles in this summer.. weather permitting , and coldest spring I ever cycled in to date...will
Well done: you are a trail blazer. Shame I don’t live in Ulster as, otherwise, you would be my first choice for a build/conversion.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Oldjohnw wrote: 7 May 2021, 8:34am Assisted cycling enables not just tourers and road. Lists to maintain their hobby, but it is brilliant for utility cycling.
Agree: you could do your weekly shopping on one.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Antbrewer wrote: 7 May 2021, 9:52am Negative comments are based on pure ignorance. Normally from people who don't even cycle themselves. The word 'cheating' was made to me the other day when my wife and I turned up for afternoon tea in the garden of some friends. When the host went to move my ebike away from the door and mentioned it was heavier than normal I said it was an ebike. ''Ah you're cheating are you? '' Should I say something or not?. No . Who the blazes cares?
I have asked someone in the past if they boil a kettle over an open fire to make a cup of tea when faced with a similar comment??
There are some even on this forum who display this level of unmitigated ignorance too don't you know???
No, really, I don’t believe anyone shows a level of unmitigated ignorance on this topic on this forum - we are all measured and reasonable in our comments.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I was once riding (unassisted) up Light Bank Lane (?) which climbs from the side of the canal near Silsden and by my standards is quite a big hill (Billiard table flat for some, of course.) A pedestrian going the other way said I was cheating for having a gear of something like 32". Presumably, he thought I should have been on 69" fixed and walking up. I do think it would be cheating to have an amateur version of electric doping, if that's the right expression.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

colin54 wrote: 7 May 2021, 9:59am
Oldjohnw wrote: 4 May 2021, 7:22am Anyone ever get negative comments above their ebike?

You can't win John, there's always someone who feels a need to comment.
I'll quite often push my bike up a hill, too steep for me, too knackered or just fancy a stroll.
I've had someone say 'that's cheating'...sound familiar ?
The last time a walker coming the other way said, 'I don't blame you for walking up there', I un-cheerily replied 'I don't blame me either'.
Good luck with your move by the way.
Thanks - v kind. At the moment all that seems to be happening is that we are writing a lot of large cheques or authorising money transfers. Since the new property cost more than the sale proceeds of the old property and there is no mortgage they want an awful lot of proof that our money to make up the difference is not the proceeds of criminal activity.
John
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

markjohnobrien wrote: 7 May 2021, 10:01am
Oldjohnw wrote: 7 May 2021, 8:34am Assisted cycling enables not just tourers and road. Lists to maintain their hobby, but it is brilliant for utility cycling.
Sorry - predictive gremlin snuck in.

Yes I shop, go to local medical appointments and a whole host of things. Our car mileage has dropped from 7k to 5k to just 2k.
John
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Oldjohnw wrote: 7 May 2021, 10:39am
markjohnobrien wrote: 7 May 2021, 10:01am
Sorry - predictive gremlin snuck in.

Yes I shop, go to local medical appointments and a whole host of things. Our car mileage has dropped from 7k to 5k to just 2k.
That’s brilliant and to be commended: bikes and e-bikes are so versatile. And you always get a parking spot near the door (whether supermarket or other) when using a bike!
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

And not forgetting the reduction in car use and the health benefits.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Fine someone else to give some positive comments and charge the battery with them
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

However, so called negative comments must have the same value as positive ones unless we are descending into the sad and prevelant modern situation whereby inclusion and tolerance is demanded unless it contradicts another view point, whereupon it becomes discriminatory or what ever.
Personally i do have a negative view to a great extent. They make life easy which i dont like . Why not struggle, it is what determines "character" . My own cycling would change for the worse. As well as increased costs, charging,complexity etc it would reduce my fitness. My view of cycling is that my commute is preraration for club TTs and weight control. Both would suffer. More people cycling for leisure isn't always good. Quiet woodland in my area is now laced with MTB trails.
Now of course the above will annoy many.BUT my opinion is as valid as any others so may be counted but not decried.
No doubt my views will change when i am to decrepid to cycle properly :x
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

No doubt my views will change when i am to decrepit to cycle properly :x
I agree.

When you are in your late 70s and you move into an area where you are surrounded by lots of 1 in 4s and 1 in 5s and you buy an ebike?.....think about it

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

You can say, ‘I don’t want an ebike just yet’ without condemning those who have decided they need them. That some abuse them is a separate issue, in the same way that all sorts of things are abused.

Decrepit is a somewhat pejorative term for describing someone who with age or health is less strong than they used to be. Most of us, on here at least, accept the negative comments because of the positive benefits. But for some, being called a cheat might be quite devastating. At worst, it might cause some to give up cycling rather than having that said.

Should people with mobility issues deny themselves the use of a walking stick? Or with short sight deny themselves wearing glasses?
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 8 May 2021, 11:32am, edited 1 time in total.
John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Opinions don't have equal value.

Value is completely different from any right to express them.

Jonathan