Negative comments

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Jdsk

Re: Negative comments

Post by Jdsk »

mattsccm wrote: 8 May 2021, 7:35amMore people cycling for leisure isn't always good. Quiet woodland in my area is now laced with MTB trails.
There are enormous benefits from more people cycling for leisure:

The cyclists' own physical and mental health
The aggregate physical and mental health of the country
The consequent willingness to use a bike for purposes other than leisure, and the avoided motorised journeys
The political pressure to improve cycling infrastructure and facilities... being right isn't enough
The reduction in tribal thinking about "cyclists" and "motorists".

It seems to me that eBikes could have a big role to play in this.

Jonathan
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Jdsk wrote: 8 May 2021, 9:19am
mattsccm wrote: 8 May 2021, 7:35amMore people cycling for leisure isn't always good. Quiet woodland in my area is now laced with MTB trails.
There are enormous benefits from more people cycling for leisure:

The cyclists' own physical and mental health
The aggregate physical and mental health of the country
The consequent willingness to use a bike for purposes other than leisure, and the avoided motorised journeys
The political pressure to improve cycling infrastructure and facilities... being right isn't enough
The reduction in tribal thinking about "cyclists" and "motorists".

It seems to me that eBikes could have a big role to play in this.

Jonathan
Fully agree: my default position for short trips when I go to the post office, or the supermarket, or the local park, or going to the pub (upto ten miles in all of these cases), is hopping on a bike. As is commuting to work.

The benefits of moderate cycling on mental health outcomes is well known as is keeping blood pressure low, etc, etc, etc.

And e-bikes are a great part of this mix - especially as we all get older.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

markjohnobrien wrote: 8 May 2021, 10:45am
The benefits of moderate cycling on mental health outcomes is well known as is keeping blood pressure low, etc, etc, etc.
It may very well lower the blood pressure for the cyclist, but that cyclist has probably raised the blood pressure of a dozen motorists by interfering with the important business of driving fast.

(i'm not being a 100% serious there BTW) :lol:
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Pebble wrote: 8 May 2021, 10:53am
markjohnobrien wrote: 8 May 2021, 10:45am
It may very well lower the blood pressure for the cyclist, but that cyclist has probably raised the blood pressure of a dozen motorists by interfering with the important business of driving fast.

(i'm not being a 100% serious there BTW) :lol:
True in some cases though - although I do drive as well.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.