Clipless pedals on an ebike?

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
a06275

Clipless pedals on an ebike?

Post by a06275 »

I'm shortly going to be buying an ebike. It's going to be a fairly relaxed hybrid for mostly road riding, but absolutely not for any speed records. Current contender is the Giant AnyTour.

I'm VERY heavy, so the ebike is hopefully going to help with that and also get me back doing something I used to love. About 10 years ago, I would often ride 20-50 miles each weekend on my cyclocross bike (I was still heavy, so needed a stronger bike, but not quite as heavy as now!), and I loved my clipless pedals. Thing is ... should I use them again? I can transfer my old SPD pedals across from my old bike, and my old shoes are still in good condition, but is it worth it, or should I just use the normal pedals that come with it?
stodd

Re: Clipless pedals on an ebike?

Post by stodd »

If you are used to clipless I'd certainly go for it. I never got into clipless (too old to learn now), but my wife and I have ridden with half toe clips for years; the first thing we have done with our tandem and Motus ebike was to fit half clips.
Red Kite

Post by Red Kite »

I'm thinking I might put mine on the Cube, these are handy to hedge your bets- I used these on my old hybrid so I could jump on the bike whatever I had on my feet

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-m324-c ... ion-pedals

EDIT: I do like the idea of those half clips. I like to clip in but I dislike wearing cleated shoes.
Last edited by Red Kite on 11 May 2021, 9:48pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cube Touring Hybrid One e-bike, Brompton P6R with Swytch conversion
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

stodd wrote: 11 May 2021, 5:43pm If you are used to clipless I'd certainly go for it.
That sounds right to me.

If they haven't been used for a bit check the releases before they're needed!

Jonathan
a06275

Post by a06275 »

Ok thanks guys! I guess I was after confirmation that clipless pedals haven’t stopped being a thing in the last ten years!
peterb

Post by peterb »

Why not?