Help with buying a e bike

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Philiom

Help with buying a e bike

Post by Philiom »

Hi, though ill health I am unable to cycle over 2 or 3 miles, this is a bit of a disaster as I love going out with my grandson on the bikes but I cant keep up with him.
I am thinking of an ebike tò make it a bit easier.
Problem is there is so much choice and the costs vary .
I have a few questions which somebody may be able to help with, my budget is between 1k to 2k.
1. How good is the conversion type which you attach a powered front wheel to an existing bike?
2.What is the best voltage and wattage?
3. If I go for a complete ebike I would be looking for front and rear adjustable suspension to aleviate the arthritis in my hands.
4. Also a folding bike may be usefull.
5. I have seen a model on ebay called a "SAMEBIKE LO26 FOLDING ELECTRIC BICYCLE 26" 500W POWER ASSIST EBIKE MOUNTAIN BIKE " has anyone bought on of these?
6. Spare batteries? I would like a model that the batteries are easy to replace on cost and if replacable from other suppliers.
7. Are spares availble on these makes sold on eBay?
8. Am I being realistic with my budget based on my requirements if I go for a complete ebike?
In view of the amount of questions I hope somebody has the spare time to answer!
SimonCelsa

Re: Help with buying a e bike

Post by SimonCelsa »

Very quick reply, maybe not much help:

I purchased a front wheel conversion for a tandem for around £500 including battery - excellent, no regrets, still good after 2 years or so.

My conversion was purchased from Woosh bikes, they do complete bikes as well as conversions. I have no affiliation with Woosh but my dealings with them were very positive. https://wooshbikes.co.uk/

Try Pedelecs forum for all things e-bike https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Welcome.

This forum has an eBike area here:
viewforum.php?f=55

Lots on conversions.

Jonathan
stodd

Post by stodd »

1. How good is the conversion type which you attach a powered front wheel to an existing bike?
Fine for most uses. You must have robust forks for it to be safe. They are the least sophisticated choice and can slip on hills but not that significant in normal use. We've got a Woosh kit front hub on the front of a tandem too.

2.What is the best voltage and wattage?
48v is best, but 36v is commonest and fine for most uses. 250w nominal is standard, above that is illegal to use on roads as a pedalec, or off road in public places. 250w nominal motors generate much more than that peak (typically around 500w).

3. If I go for a complete ebike I would be looking for front and rear adjustable suspension to aleviate the arthritis in my hands.
Make sure you get high bars to keep pressure off the hands. A quality suspension post such as the Suntour (around £60) can be a good alternative to rear suspension.
I'd certainly recommend looking at Woosh for a kit or for a complete bike. They have been very low on stock but that is improving now.

4. Also a folding bike may be usefull.
Yes, especially if you won't do huge miles. Again, look at Woosh Rambletta.

5. I have seen a model on ebay called a "SAMEBIKE LO26 FOLDING ELECTRIC BICYCLE 26" 500W POWER ASSIST EBIKE MOUNTAIN BIKE " has anyone bought on of these?
Technically illegal (see 2). It looks as it it has a very basic control setup which will considerably reduce enjoyment.

6. Spare batteries? I would like a model that the batteries are easy to replace on cost and if replacable from other suppliers.
Most cheaper ebikes use generic Chinese parts and batteries are easy to get. You are more constrained if you get a bike with a frame built-in battery. Once you go to the more sophisticated and expensive proprietary systems (eg Bosch) the batteries are expensive and not interchangeable. They should at least be available for the better brands, but some became unavailable quite quickly (eg batteries for Gtech first model)

7. Are spares availble on these makes sold on eBay?
Mostly. But not from the people who supply the bike (who will be gone before you need the replacement), and you may not get much help from your LBS either. The pedalec forum is a place to look for advice. (both now before buying, and in future if you have issues)
https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/forums ... cussion.2/
and other subforums there.

8. Am I being realistic with my budget based on my requirements if I go for a complete ebike?
Yes: https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?rambletta comes in under £1000. Lots of choice under £2000.
hemo

Post by hemo »

For your needs forget mid drive oem bikes that use torque multipliers.
Opt for a current controller hub bike.
Philiom

Post by Philiom »

Thanks for all the replies, given me a few things to chase up!
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I bought an ebike, first one, and because someone had experienced the make, Ortler as a hire bike in Austria. I dont believe there are many people around who really have much knowledge of different ebikes, just know about the bike they ride. My bike has met all my requirements in terms of capability, range, comfort and reliability. It is a bog standard German ebike with a Bosch crank drive, trapeze frame, suspension forks (I know....), a rack, lights and stand. Its a perfect steed, heavy, rock solid but comfortable, reliable and I would recommend it to anyone.Expect to pay £1500 + for a decent ebike, or get a kit and convert to electric, but who knows what that will be like... A pal who is an experienced cyclist fitted a front wheel motor but subsequently dumped it calling it rubbish and bought a Cube bike just like mine. He is now happy

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Whereas my old bike with a front hub kit has been brilliant. I have done about 6000 miles with it without a problem.
John