Touring with an ebike

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
John Gray

Re: Touring with an ebike

Post by John Gray »

jags wrote: 15 May 2021, 10:24pm im kinda guessing your having problems getting up hill on a loaded bike im in the same boat no bother on the flat but hills kill me so i have on order an electric front wheel 250watt battery just enough to help my on the dreaded hills supposed to be good for 50km.

..... the nomad is a beast ...

jags
I have only just started riding again jags, so far it has been flat local routes. But yes, it will be hills that push the heart rate up.

Yeah, the Nomad is a 'beast' alright. I used to refer to as a 'stealth bomber'! Great to ride though. I had not realised that it might be possible to convert it. I would end up with an even heavier bike then, though. That might not matter when I am riding electrically, but there is a fair amount of manhandling the bike on a tour. I am advised to avoid lifting heavy weights.
John Gray

Post by John Gray »

pq wrote: 16 May 2021, 11:45am I know almost nothing about ebikes but I can tell you a little story which might be useful.

We had a very elderly Swiss couple staying with us (in France) a few years back. They were both in their 90s and had been touring all their lives. Eventually it got too much for them so they bought ebikes and just carried on. When they stayed with us they'd ridden to near Toulouse from Switzerland, and were heading to Italy with the finale being an Alpine crossing to get home.

They had very expensive electric touring bikes and were carrying a lot of gear. They said with the motor there was no point travelling light. They each had a spare battery and so could do 100 miles between charges, even in hilly terrain, but in truth they were able to charge in cafes, in restaurants, on camp sites, and in hotels. They said it had never been a problem. Of course they didn't have to cross the channel...

I very much hope I'll be doing that when I'm their age.
Me too! Nice story, thanks. I used to admire elderly tourers when I encountered them. Now I am one myself!
John Gray

Post by John Gray »

stodd wrote: 16 May 2021, 10:10am
You will not be able to take any significant ebike battery on a plane. The regulations seem laxer than I thought, and as confused as I expected. If you have a lightweight helper motor that you are not using for much of a ride a small battery might be enough.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-scr ... watt-hours
Lithium batteries with more than 100 watt hours may be allowed in carry-on bags with airline approval. One spare battery, not exceeding 300 watt hours, or two spare batteries, not exceeding 160 watt hours each, are permitted in carry-on bags. For more information, see the FAA regulations on batteries.

OR ???
https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/blog-conte ... %20luggage.
Unfortunately, you won’t be able to take your battery with you on the flight. The lithium batteries on almost all electric bikes are prohibited. Until recently, 300 Wh Li batteries were allowed, but now the maximum is 100 Wh batteries packed inside your carryon luggage.
Thanks for this information. A complication I had not anticipated, so much better to know now than find out later.
John Gray

Post by John Gray »

Jdsk wrote: 16 May 2021, 12:00pm
John Gray wrote: 15 May 2021, 8:53pmI know electricity will help support my cycling, but I am also concerned about travel to the start and home from the finish of a tour, and the need to manhandle the bike on and off planes and/or trains and ferries.
How about using your own non-human powered vehicle or hiring one to get you to where you want to cycle?

Are you thinking of camping or hotels etc?

It's only anecdotal but all of the people that I've met who were touring with eBikes have said that charging isn't a big problem, as above.

Members of my family now have an Orbea Gain D20 and a Tern HSD and are very happy with them.

I hope that you can find a solution.

Jonathan
Thanks Jonathan. 'non-human powered vehicle' - you mean a car? I don't have one, don't drive. Another reason why I want to continue cycling into my old age. My camping days are behind me. It is usually a mix of hostels and b&b type places. The occasional hotel for a touch of extra comfort. A couple of people have been reassuring about charging, which is good. Hopefully I won't need electric assistance too much to begin with, but the clock is ticking, and I am sure I will come to rely on it more and more.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Yes, I was thinking of a car or van, but that's not going to help.

Jonathan
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

My friends wife is disabled and she has an electric buggy. They have a SEAT Alhambra. In the back they have a small hoist to get the buggy into the back. I think it may be a Motobility vehicle

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
monxton

Post by monxton »

If it helps, here's what I wrote nearly two years ago, and my experience hasn't changed much: Re: Best Ebikes for Touring?

I have never tried to travel by plane with this bike, but my tours always start with train and / or ferry journeys. Any issues with trains and ferries are not much different between e-bikes and standard bikes. There's not usually any lifting involved in getting onto a ferry, just cycle up and then push the bike up the ramp onto the vehicle deck. With trains, I would normally remove the luggage before boarding anyway, e-bike or not, to reduce the overall weight and to ease getting through narrow doors. I could also remove the battery at that point, but haven't needed to. If there are two or more of you that makes boarding the train a lot easier, with one going on board first and the other staying on the platform and boarding last after handing up the equipment. Local trains are usually a doddle, they tend to have wide doors opening at platform level, but express trains can have narrow doors and two or three steep steps to climb. Getting to the platform is potentially a problem, but the majority of stations now have installed lifts for wheelchair users, which are also great for cyclists. You can usually find out in advance if you need to cross the line to get to your platform, and if there are lifts to the bridge or tunnel or only stairs, by looking for the accessibility information.
horizon

Post by horizon »

monxton wrote: 18 May 2021, 6:03pm If it helps, here's what I wrote nearly two years ago, and my experience hasn't changed much: Re: Best Ebikes for Touring?

I have never tried to travel by plane with this bike, but my tours always start with train and / or ferry journeys. Any issues with trains and ferries are not much different between e-bikes and standard bikes. There's not usually any lifting involved in getting onto a ferry, just cycle up and then push the bike up the ramp onto the vehicle deck. With trains, I would normally remove the luggage before boarding anyway, e-bike or not, to reduce the overall weight and to ease getting through narrow doors. I could also remove the battery at that point, but haven't needed to. If there are two or more of you that makes boarding the train a lot easier, with one going on board first and the other staying on the platform and boarding last after handing up the equipment. Local trains are usually a doddle, they tend to have wide doors opening at platform level, but express trains can have narrow doors and two or three steep steps to climb. Getting to the platform is potentially a problem, but the majority of stations now have installed lifts for wheelchair users, which are also great for cyclists. You can usually find out in advance if you need to cross the line to get to your platform, and if there are lifts to the bridge or tunnel or only stairs, by looking for the accessibility information.
+ 1 for all you have written except for the bits in bold. Generally I can't see any problem for e-bikes on trains and in fact often see them. But:

1. If you have to hang your bike (IETs, X-Country etc) then this is awkward enough with a light road bike - so just something to be aware of.

2. Not all lifts are OK. They are often wheelchair length, so again some manhandling is called for. I mostly had issues in France last year (Poitiers perhaps?) but there has been the odd lift in the UK as well. Hotel lifts as well if you want to take your bike to your room.

It is such a shame that they didn't consider bikes when they put the lifts in - complete blind spot.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I have rarely had a problem on trains apart from the lack of proper space and provision for any kind of bike. I always remove my luggage anyway so that brings the weight to a manageable level. My panniers are strapped together and have a shoulder strap so the process is fairly simple.

When a last minute platform change was announced at York I rushed to the lift but had to wait for everyone else to get on board. This meant I missed my train but the rail company were very obliging and let me travel on the next train.
John
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

They were both in their 90s and had been touring all their lives. Eventually it got too much for them so they bought ebikes and just carried on.
That's cheering me up considerably!!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
monxton

Post by monxton »

Your underlining made it look like I said something different. I said there was no lifting getting onto a ferry. I didn't say there was no lifting getting onto a train.
horizon wrote: 18 May 2021, 6:48pm 1. If you have to hang your bike (IETs, X-Country etc) then this is awkward enough with a light road bike - so just something to be aware of.
Good point, and there are many reasons to dislike dangling your bike by its wheel, whatever sort it is.
horizon wrote: 18 May 2021, 6:48pm 2. Not all lifts are OK. They are often wheelchair length, so again some manhandling is called for. I mostly had issues in France last year (Poitiers perhaps?) but there has been the odd lift in the UK as well.
Perhaps I have been fortunate, but I have never come across a station lift in any country, including France, that I couldn't use with a bike. I've had to turn the front wheel sometimes to get the length, and sometimes there's only room for one cyclist at a time, but nothing worse.
horizon wrote: 18 May 2021, 6:48pm Hotel lifts as well if you want to take your bike to your room.
I've never attempted to do that, and agree hotel lifts can be very small. This is an important reason for your e-bike to have a removable battery, so you can take it to your room to charge. I always check with the hotel when I book that they have a secure storage place for bikes, and I cancel if they won't help.
horizon

Post by horizon »

monxton wrote: 18 May 2021, 9:00pm Your underlining made it look like I said something different. I said there was no lifting getting onto a ferry. I didn't say there was no lifting getting onto a train.
Apols - I nearly changed it myself. Yes, ferries are great - just roll on and off!
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
John Gray

Post by John Gray »

horizon wrote: 18 May 2021, 6:48pm
monxton wrote: 18 May 2021, 6:03pm If it helps, here's what I wrote nearly two years ago, and my experience hasn't changed much: Re: Best Ebikes for Touring?

+ 1 for all you have written except for the bits in bold. Generally I can't see any problem for e-bikes on trains and in fact often see them. But:

1. If you have to hang your bike (IETs, X-Country etc) then this is awkward enough with a light road bike - so just something to be aware of.

2. Not all lifts are OK. They are often wheelchair length, so again some manhandling is called for. I mostly had issues in France last year (Poitiers perhaps?) but there has been the odd lift in the UK as well. Hotel lifts as well if you want to take your bike to your room.

It is such a shame that they didn't consider bikes when they put the lifts in - complete blind spot.
1. Yeah, it was sometimes tricky hanging up the Thorn. And then stowing the luggage. I tended to stay with the bike, rather than taking my seat. There are trains, I forget which company, where the bike space is a combined wheelchair/bike space amongst the seats. I once got on a train, with a bike reservation, and there was a passenger in a wheelchair, occupying the bike space. That was fun!
2. As you say, not all are OK!
John Gray

Post by John Gray »

Thanks for some really sensible comments. One or two caveats, but clearly you are speaking from experience. On the ferry from Belfast to Birkenhead/Liverpool, I had to load the bike onto a trailer and then sit in a waiting area till called for boarding. When I collected my bike at the other end, the pump and D-lock were missing.
monxton

Post by monxton »

John Gray wrote: 18 May 2021, 10:11pm On the ferry from Belfast to Birkenhead/Liverpool, I had to load the bike onto a trailer and then sit in a waiting area till called for boarding. When I collected my bike at the other end, the pump and D-lock were missing.
That's terrible! The ferry journeys I was thinking of were various large cross-channel ferries (Portsmouth to French and Spanish ports, and Harwich to Hook), also Rostock to Gedser, which all board you in a similar way to a motorbike. But some of the larger Scottish ferries, such as Scrabster to Stromness, do as you have described - take your bike and put it on a trailer, and then treat you as a foot passenger. It can be pretty scary squeezing past the juggernauts on the vehicle deck of the big ferries, so in principle I like the idea of the dedicated bike trailer, but not if things are going to go missing.