Whyte

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
arnsider

Whyte

Post by arnsider »

My Whyte Coniston E Bike with the Shimano steps motor has been a bit of a disaster.
The wheels were replaced under warranty with Shimano MT 500s.
Shimano claim these wheels to be man enbough for Off road riding, so I could not blame the dealer for using them as a relacement on a bike used solely on the tarmac. However within 1200 miles, the rear wheel started to break spokes and after two repairs, I took the view that it was not man enough and any way, receieved wisdom says that a 24 spoke wheel is not man enough on an e Bike for road use.
Now one might think that the dealer may have a claim from Shimano, but refuses to take it up.
Whyte are totally useless in this matter and have ignored my correspondence.
For that reason, I would not recommend their products.
Good as their bikes may be, their customer service is a disgrace and they are ignorant.
richtea99

Re: Whyte

Post by richtea99 »

'under warranty' = under direction of Whyte themselves, or by the dealer/retailer?

The retailer is ultimately responsible for doing the chasing - they took your money, after all.
They need to chase whoever spec'ed 24 hole wheels. If it was themselves, they need to give you an acceptable pair of wheels (for an eMTB), and then in their own time, recover money from Whyte or Shimano. They're the experts and should know what is 'fit for purpose'.

There is possiblty some wriggle room in their favour if they believe you've mistreated the goods, of course, but two sets of wheels feels rather more than wear & tear.

Just in interest, how long have you had the bike? This may be useful in timelines:
https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights ... ty-product

Lastly, as you've suggested, 24 spoke doesn't feel like a smart long-term choice for a heavy bike (ebike or otherwise). That is an angle to pursue with regard to the 'fit for purpose' logic on the replacement wheels..

Good luck!
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

I take "Under Warranty to be the 12 month makers warranty.
I do not know if Escape Bikes were given a budget and a free hand in fitting the replacement or were directed to fit the Shimano MT 500's
Purchased new from Escape, 11/10/2019
Original wheels found to be cracking at rims 22/09/2020 2095 miles Replaced "under warranty" with Shimano MT 500 24 spoke wheels.
Spoke broke in rear wheel on tarmac road on 27/03/2021 at 3401 miles. Spoke replaced FOC.
Another spoke broke on Tarmac 04/04/2012.
Escape not prepared to tackle Shimano and I decided to buy a new handbuilt wheel at my own expense.
Subsequent comms with Escape urging them to claim from Shimano ignored
3 E mails and one letter to Whyte asking for advice/clarity/acknowlegement totally ignored.
This is wehy I am so wild at the sheer tawdry, rude and ignorant response from both dealer and supplier.
In fairness to Escape, they took at face value Shimanos claim about their MT 500 wheels, which was worthless.
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

Sourcing a hand built 36 spoke wheel has also been a disaster as I've labouriously claimed in a thread about Spa Cycles.
The saga continues as the wheel I was eventually sold by others is patently unfit. It has a 23 mm wide, uncritched Ambrosio rim and I cannot for the life of me fit my prefered 700/35c schwalbes. This is the cycle industry in 2021 during an absolute bonanza!!
Really!
jo' bo

Post by jo' bo »

arnsider wrote: 17 May 2021, 7:18pm Sourcing a hand built 36 spoke wheel has also been a disaster as I've labouriously claimed in a thread about Spa Cycles.
The saga continues as the wheel I was eventually sold by others is patently unfit. It has a 23 mm wide, uncritched Ambrosio rim and I cannot for the life of me fit my prefered 700/35c schwalbes. This is the cycle industry in 2021 during an absolute bonanza!!
Really!
I'd get that on!
jo' bo

Post by jo' bo »

arnsider wrote: 17 May 2021, 7:11pm I take "Under Warranty to be the 12 month makers warranty.
I do not know if Escape Bikes were given a budget and a free hand in fitting the replacement or were directed to fit the Shimano MT 500's
Purchased new from Escape, 11/10/2019
Original wheels found to be cracking at rims 22/09/2020 2095 miles Replaced "under warranty" with Shimano MT 500 24 spoke wheels.
Spoke broke in rear wheel on tarmac road on 27/03/2021 at 3401 miles. Spoke replaced FOC.
Another spoke broke on Tarmac 04/04/2012.
Escape not prepared to tackle Shimano and I decided to buy a new handbuilt wheel at my own expense.
Subsequent comms with Escape urging them to claim from Shimano ignored
3 E mails and one letter to Whyte asking for advice/clarity/acknowlegement totally ignored.
This is wehy I am so wild at the sheer tawdry, rude and ignorant response from both dealer and supplier.
In fairness to Escape, they took at face value Shimanos claim about their MT 500 wheels, which was worthless.
I'm not sure why you want the retailer to shout at shimano ??

You contract is with them, if the original wheel or the subsequently fitted wheel are unsuitable then they need to sort it out at their own exspance or otherwise, not your problem

I've no idea if ive got a legitamate grievance or not , spokes do break, its annoying but 10 mins to fix, saying you were on tarmac doesnt really give enough info of if your cruising gently or banging it up and down
A legal ebike motor really shouldnt be taking wheels out,
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

"You contract is with them, if the original wheel or the subsequently fitted wheel are unsuitable then they need to sort it out at their own exspance or otherwise, not your problem"
Granted, but the dealer ignores e mails from me urging them to take it up with Shimano, but is happy to quote huge figures for a hand built 36 spoker!
They obviously do not except any liability for the failing MT 500 wheels, but perversely, they don't seem prepared to go on repairing spokes or take Shimano on! They've washed their hands of me and Whyte won't acknowlege their dealers utter tawdry neglect and rub my nose in it by ignoring my e mails and a letter seeking support.
It's a stale mate and I'm the mug, traipsing backward and forward and missing out on cycle time, not to mention having to fork out.
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

In a nutshell, Whyte have supplied a bike with crap wheels. Escape replaced them under warranty with crap wheels. Now neither Escape nor Whyte want to know.
Moral; Don't deal with either ever again.!
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

On the rare occasions I have had real trouble with a company, I wrote to the chairman or some similar person - if you can supply as much information as well, including a time line of communications/with who (and milage) it would help your case. Who to write to?, see here:
https://find-and-update.company-informa ... 4/officers
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

richtea99 wrote: 17 May 2021, 5:31pm 'under warranty' = under direction of Whyte themselves, or by the dealer/retailer?

The retailer is ultimately responsible for doing the chasing - they took your money, after all.
Exactly.

Your contract was with the retailer, not their supplier.

And your statutory rights aren't restricted to what might be in any "warranty".

What's the total value under dispute?

Jonathan
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

I can live with a 24 spoke front wheel though its not ideal
A 36 spoke hand built wheeel costs arpound £200.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

How about legal pursuit aiming towards a small claims application?

Jonathan
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

"I'd get that on!"

Would you really! Well, I have arthritic thumbs and I don't relish the prospect of struggling in the micturating rain with a ruddy puncture.
Thanks for that.
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

Manufacturer design defects 10 years unless at time of manufacturing- unlimited.

Sale of goods act as amended "satisfactory quality and fit for purpose 6 years.

Did you buy on a credit card as section 75

Send a pre action letter

"Without prejudice"
"Notice of intention of litigation"

Look at MCOL Money Claim Online and put the seller and manufacturer down as co defendants.

Look for other reports to show the problems known as evidence.
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

Thanks for the legal advice.
I use a debit card so cannot avail myself of the protection.
There has been a development and Whyte have replied to a registetred letter with an e mail apologising and informing me to go ahead and purchase a suitable rear wheel and they will reimburse me.
I feel a bit happier now. I still have to try to reach accord with the wheel builder who has misunderstood my needs.
Without mentioning him, he is a really good guy for wheels but to err is only human and I'd not hesitate to deal with him again.