Ebikes v e-scooters

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Nigel

Re: Ebikes v e-scooters

Post by Nigel »

Oldjohnw wrote: 25 May 2021, 9:42am Loads in the UK at various prices. Here’s a sample:

https://www.drivingelectric.com/best-ca ... ric-mopeds
Quite a range. But back at the original point of the thread, many of those listed are "price after £1500 government grant", so the price comparisons are heavily skewed. An e-bike doesn't get any form of transport grant (though can get an 0% interest loan if living in Scotland).

- Nigel
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Nigel wrote: 25 May 2021, 1:59pm
Oldjohnw wrote: 25 May 2021, 9:42am Loads in the UK at various prices. Here’s a sample:

https://www.drivingelectric.com/best-ca ... ric-mopeds
Quite a range. But back at the original point of the thread, many of those listed are "price after £1500 government grant", so the price comparisons are heavily skewed. An e-bike doesn't get any form of transport grant (though can get an 0% interest loan if living in Scotland).

- Nigel
No arguments here. But the simple reality is that you can get a reasonable form of personal transport, even if subsidised, for less than many ebikes. For some, that might be an interesting consideration.
John
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

Fit your own kit to the bicycle you already have and it's under £700 with a similar range to that Yamaha chav mobile :P
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

I don't even think it's a case of one versus the other as modes offer entirely different features. A woman conscious of staying clean and dry whilst commuting is more likely to choose an electric step-through scooter than an electrically assisted pedal cycle for obvious reasons.
A regular cyclist falling prey to health problems eg Arthritic joints, but used to turning the pedals on day tours is likely going to buy an e-bike.
The rental scooters are great for students and young people with nowhere safe to keep a bike and zero interest in cycling.
It's purely horses for courses and the arguments are a bit disingenuous.
Although I have an E-bike for day tours, if I lived in the city and had a regular commute, I'd use an e-scooter, off the rank.
Vive la difference!