Ebikes v e-scooters

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Bonefishblues

Re: Ebikes v e-scooters

Post by Bonefishblues »

PH wrote: 24 May 2021, 6:32pm
Blondie wrote: 24 May 2021, 6:28pm Law already covers them and they are classed as described. No way they should be classed same as e bikes.
Yes, that's the law.
The reality is thousands of them are being sold and used, openly sold on the high street, openly used just about everywhere.
What do you think is going to happen? Do you think some authority is going to stop their sale and use? Or that the law will change to permit them? I'll bet on the latter, we'll know soon enough, the trials come to an end in the Autumn and the Government has said they'll review the evidence then.
This.
Blondie

Post by Blondie »

Blondie wrote: 24 May 2021, 6:28pm Law already covers them and they are classed as described. No way they should be classed same as e bikes.
Yes, that's the law.
The reality is thousands of them are being sold and used, openly sold on the high street, openly used just about everywhere.
What do you think is going to happen? Do you think some authority is going to stop their sale and use? Or that the law will change to permit them? I'll bet on the latter, we'll know soon enough, the trials come to an end in the Autumn and the Government has said they'll review the evidence then.
Sold and registered and licensed based on the scooters linked to which are conventional apart from being electric.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Blondie wrote: 24 May 2021, 7:19pm
Yes, that's the law.
Sold and registered and licensed based on the scooters linked to which are conventional apart from being electric.
How would you get it back in the bottle, as it were?
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Which thing are you lot arguing over ?

The Electric Moped ? Or the electric scooter ?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Nigel wrote: 24 May 2021, 7:43pm Which thing are you lot arguing over ?

What do you think is an argument?
millimole

Post by millimole »

Nigel wrote:Which thing are you lot arguing over ?

It's getting very confusing.

My guess is that electric sit on machines will remain classed as motorcycles, and continue to require test, insurance, licence, and helmet. And I'd predict that electric stand on machines will be lightly regulated requiring the user to be of an age (? 16), insured, the machine to be type approved, and there'll be a set of Highway Code type rules for users to ignore.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I’m not sure what the arguments or confusions here are about.

My OP was clear: this was what we used to simply call a motor scooter and cost in many cases less that an ebike. Obviously there are margins at either end on either mode of transport.

As with traditional motor scooters, you have to tax (albeit zero) and insure the vehicle, have a licence and wear a helmet. The difference is that the motor, which once needs petrol, is now electrically driven.

It is still a motorcycle/motor scooter: it has a motor but it is powered differently.
John
PH

Post by PH »

Oldjohnw wrote: 25 May 2021, 8:30am IMy OP was clear: this was what we used to simply call a motor scooter and cost in many cases less that an ebike. Obviously there are margins at either end on either mode of transport.
I'm puzzled why anyone would be genuinely confused, the discussion seems simple enough to follow.
Your OP was clear in it's content, but lacked any context. Why were you making that comparison? I introduced the stand on scooter element because IMO for someone looking for simple personal transport for short trips (The sort that make up the vast majority of cycle trips) that's probably a more realistic alternative. That price difference is very favourable towards the scooter, maybe you'd compare the three grand electric Brompton with a five hundred quid Pure Electric scooter :?
That you can buy a decent electric motorbike scooter for the same price as a high end e-bike, is no surprise to me, for the reason I gave in my first reply. Are you surprised by it? IMO it's like comparing the price of apples and oranges.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Oldjohnw wrote: 24 May 2021, 7:29am Traditional motor scooters now with electric motors cost way less than ebikes. Food for thought.

https://scooter.uk.com/yamaha-ec-05/
It is interesting. Are there cheap eBikes made in the Far East that never reach the UK market?

Jonathan
PH

Post by PH »

Jdsk wrote: 25 May 2021, 9:02am
Oldjohnw wrote: 24 May 2021, 7:29am Traditional motor scooters now with electric motors cost way less than ebikes. Food for thought.

https://scooter.uk.com/yamaha-ec-05/
It is interesting. Are there cheap eBikes made in the Far East that never reach the UK market?

Jonathan
There most probably are, it's apparently a huge market in China. Even so, I'm doubtful there's any bike factories on the scale of motorbike or car factories, maybe at some point there will be.
I've been to the Gaint factory in Taiwan, though it was 25 years ago, although it was impressive, it was still a lot more labour intensive than any car plant.
Red Kite

Post by Red Kite »

PH wrote: 25 May 2021, 8:55amAre you surprised by it? IMO it's like comparing the price of apples and oranges.
Quite. You can buy an e-bike for less than Boris Johnson spends on a roll of wallpaper, so e-bikes must be cheap.
Cube Touring Hybrid One e-bike, Brompton P6R with Swytch conversion
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Loads in the UK at various prices. Here’s a sample:

https://www.drivingelectric.com/best-ca ... ric-mopeds
John
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

In Vietnam the favoured vehicle was the motor scooter in 2012 when I last visited. You can shift the whole family on one. Dont know if they have gone electric since then?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

It is still a motorcycle/motor scooter: it has a motor but it is powered differently.
The Driving Electric website linked above uses the term e-moped - no ambiguity there.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Grandad wrote: 25 May 2021, 10:59am
The Driving Electric website linked above uses the term e-moped - no ambiguity there.
Useful. Thanks.

My mental image of a moped was one of those noisy two stroke things you pedalled to get going. Every early French teenager had one.
John