Tern HSD

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Jdsk

Family eBike... Tern HSD and GSD... advice, please

Post by Jdsk »

A grandfather writes:

What would you recommend for carrying small children/ children to school/ shopping and commuting, please?

We're currently looking at the Tern HSD and GSD.

Thanks

Jonathan

https://www.ternbicycles.com/bikes/471/hsd
https://www.ternbicycles.com/bikes/472/gsd
hamish

Re: Family eBike... Tern HSD and GSD... advice, please

Post by hamish »

I have a Tern GSD but don't use it for carrying kids. It is a great bike. It carries loads of stuff, is comfortable and rides very well. It can climb a 20% hill with a 100kg load without problems. I have used it to carry my 5'10" daughter to the beach to go running and that worked no problem.

It is superbly designed with some very clever innovations. The second generation ones look even better in some ways although I am not sure I want suspension forks or such a high handlebar.

Issues to consider:

It's not cheap
It is heavy to carry if you need to pick it up.
They can be hard to get hold of with long lead in times.
Second batteries are expensive.
You will need accessories to make use of its versitility and they aren't cheap.

Overall though I think it's a great bike and am very pleased with it. There is a GSD Facebook group which is good (and I hate Facebook, even the name Facebook annoys me).

A friend has an HSD. It is lighter and quieter and a really nice bike too. It carries less stuff - but still carries lots.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thank you, that's very helpful.

Any more out there?

Jonathan
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

I don't have any direct experience of either bike, but am also trying to decide between the two models.

I have no requirement to carry people, but want something to replace a car for journeys to the supermarket, IKEA, Currys, the tip etc. I'm also looking to use the bike for longer rides into the city centre (10 miles ish) which is just too far to do in normal clothes without arriving hot and sweaty.

I'm leaning towards the HSD as it's
- cheaper
- bit lighter and more nimble
- slightly smaller so easier to store
- still able to carry 60kg on the back and 20kg on the front (at least...)

I'm interested to know which one you choose
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks.

No decision yet... shorter model currently leading... belt drive attractive.

Jonathan
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

Same as me! For similar money I’d rather get the belt drive HSD than a GSD with a chain
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

Just got home with a HSD P9. Wasn't planning on buying the chain-drive model, nor so soon, but my local tern dealer gave me a price I couldn't refuse and I picked up the bike this morning.

I rode home from the shop with my Brompton in one of the Cargo Hold panniers (they're massive!) and I honestly didn't notice the extra weight.

It's a pleasure to ride, the e-assist is so smooth, and I find the upright riding position really comfortable too
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

: - )

Any other options or accessories?

Jonathan
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

Only the Cargo Hold 37 panniers at the moment. I'm looking to pick up the new double-legged kickstand, the shortbed tray and one of the front racks (I can't decide between the hauler and the transporteur). Just need my bank balance to recover a little before taking the plunge
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks

Jonathan
Emyr Parry

Post by Emyr Parry »

Sorry.......... just saw this, hope not too late.

My son (mid 30's) bought a Tern GSD about 18 months ago, specifically to ferry 2 small children to school/nursery in & around Cardiff and to get himself to work aprox 5 miles away without needing a shower on arrival. The children are now 4.5 yrs and almost 2 yrs

Initially, I was unenthusiastic - mainly on 2 counts
1. Price!
2. I reasoned that a young man in his 30's should be able to ride easily - even with one child on the back (I had to admit defeat on the two child ferrying, but I guess a trailer would have done it)

However, I was converted after riding the bike, with and without kids. I am a keen cyclist at home (Mid 60's, not massive mileage, but I am out often, and tour most years). I find the GSD a joy to ride, and I love using it when staying in Cardiff to take the kids to school or shopping trips to the supermarket. The panniers carry a tremendous load, and the bike is currently fitted with 2 Thule Yapp child seats.
I don't have any experience of the HSD, so can't add anything there.
Hope all this helps
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks, that's very helpful.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

HSD with belt drive due next week.

Jonathan
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

I'll be interested to hear what you think. Does the torque sensing mean instantaneous power assistance when starting off? Just thinking if yoiu have a big load then you don't want a delay in the assistance. Sensors which relay on rotation of the cranks are likely to have a delay I guess. I've read that the assistance of the Bosch motors is possibly better than Shimano Steps.
stodd

Post by stodd »

UpWrong wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 2:27pm Does the torque sensing mean instantaneous power assistance when starting off? Just thinking if yoiu have a big load then you don't want a delay in the assistance.
Yes, torque sensing gives instantaneous power which makes a big difference on hill starts (we've got one very tricky hill start across a more major road with limited visibility). Our few year old 2nd hand Motus with Bosch system helps immensely. On our tandem with cadence sensor that half turn before assist makes it much less helpful.