Tern HSD

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
belgiangoth

Re: Tern HSD

Post by belgiangoth »

Another point to add. Pedals are Wellgo and the ones I got need serious loosening as they don't spin at all (solid as a rock). I have contacted the shop. The model does not appear to have a method of loosening the pedal on the bearings. Not sure whether the fit might be purposefully tight because of something motor related (but I doubt it).
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

Purchased some of the Tern brand stoker style bars for the HSD; if you have the saddle low the bars won't fit and on minimum saddle height where it will fit the bars are just above knee level for the child on the back.

Will need to return them.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
Jdsk

Re: Family eBike... Tern HSD and GSD... advice, please

Post by Jdsk »

bohrsatom wrote: 12 May 2021, 7:23pmI’ve just switched to the DuoStand and have found it to be a useful upgrade over the standard kickstand.
Just looking: that's very helpful.

Any more experiences with or thoughts about the DuoStand, please?
https://www.ternbicycles.com/uk/accesso ... 1/duostand

Thanks

Jonathan
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

Just fitted them today. The kickstand that came with the HSD has fallen off twice in the ~week that we've used it, so it was a no-brainer for us. Much more secure.
It isn't a proper clever stand like you get on a bakfiets though, you still need to kick it onto the stand with your feet. The HSD model also has the feature that you need to be able to raise the back of your bike - so could be an issue with a passenger or a heavy load.
I'll let you know when it has been used "in anger".
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thank you, and looking forward to your conclusions.

Jonathan
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

My longer term view of the Duostand:

- It was a PITA to install - I had to trim the mudguard slightly to get it to fit in the right place
- it’s so much easier to load the bike compared with the original stand
- but it’s not as convenient to use, as you have to roll the bike onto the stand vs just flicking down the side stand with your feet
- The legs of the stand are raw metal and will eventually scratch your floor. May not be a problem if you keep the bike in the garage but I made some booties out of old inner tube to protect my kitchen floor
- it’s steep at £90, but that’s Tern for you!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

bohrsatom wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 10:16pm- The legs of the stand are raw metal and will eventually scratch your floor. May not be a problem if you keep the bike in the garage but I made some booties out of old inner tube to protect my kitchen floor
Just arrived... have you got some photos of your fix, please?

Thanks

Jonathan
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

Jdsk wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 4:03pm Just arrived... have you got some photos of your fix, please?

Thanks

Jonathan
Small bit of old inner tube and two zip ties on each side: https://imgur.com/a/NfagfM5
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thank you

Jonathan
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

Rear rack is too thick for my pannier bags. Is this a thing now?
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

What panniers do you have? I had to remove the small plastic inserts from my Ortlieb back rollers to get them to fit
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I use AGU double panniers for this reason (since my rear rack carries my ebike battery it is very substantial). Works perfectly.

https://www.tweekscycles.com/uk/agu-urb ... g-2015512/
(I bought them from AGU direct, which is probably difficult or impossible now).
John
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

bohrsatom wrote: 22 Jul 2021, 10:33pm What panniers do you have? I had to remove the small plastic inserts from my Ortlieb back rollers to get them to fit
I have some Edinburgh Bike Coop ones. I have also removed the inserts (had t for when I fitted them to my SPM) but the rear rack is still too big.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Saw and rode it for the first time today. Nice handling. Smooth power assistance. Powerful brakes!

And those are the thickest rack tubes that I've ever come across!

Jonathan