E bike insurance

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
belgiangoth

E bike insurance

Post by belgiangoth »

Just looking into this. What does everyone else do?

For my bikes I have been not insuring and considering the money saved as banked towards a replacement bike if needs be - which has worked for me. However with a much more expensive e-bike I think we'll go with insurance.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
bohrsatom

Re: E bike insurance

Post by bohrsatom »

Some home insurance policies will cover e-bikes, but it's worth reading the small print to understand the limits of the policy.

Mine doesn't, so I have my Tern HSD insured through Laka. Their cover is very comprehensive and you're covered as long as you lock to a solid object with a sold secure gold lock.

The model is unique as your monthly fee varies depending on the number of claims in that month (although it'll never go over a set maximum limit). In my case my limit is £37/month but I've paid on average £20/month since taking out the policy at the start of the year

Other good stuff about it:
- Cover is on a month-by-month basis so you can just pause it if going away or you don't ride over winter
- You're covered if other people use the bike (this is an exclusion of many other policies)
- Zero excess
- Covered for accidental damage so can claim if you fall off, or if someone crashes into you and damages the bike
- Not mandated to lock bike to an immovable object if stored in a private garage/shed/bike store

I've no direct experience of claiming, but my friend is currently going through a claim so will be interesting to see how it goes.

There is a referral scheme when you (and I) get some free credit - do your research and if you decide Laka is the one I'm happy to send a link over.

(nb I'm not affiliated with them in any way, just a happy customer)
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I insure through my home insurer, Admiral, at very modest cost. Without looking it up I recall it as tens of pounds a year.

Requirements: gold standard lock; locked to fixed point at home in a locked shed. Not at all arduous.

I have never needed to make a claim.
John
PH

Post by PH »

Just to save you looking:
TSB's otherwise excellent cycle insurance specifically excludes E-bikes.
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

Oldjohnw wrote: 7 Jul 2021, 10:04am Requirements: gold standard lock; locked to fixed point at home in a locked shed. Not at all arduous.
Do you need to lock it if it's in the house?
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

belgiangoth wrote: 7 Jul 2021, 11:07pm
Oldjohnw wrote: 7 Jul 2021, 10:04am Requirements: gold standard lock; locked to fixed point at home in a locked shed. Not at all arduous.
Do you need to lock it if it's in the house?
I don’t know, tbh. I doubt it since I would be in the house as well. Apart from those nights when I might offend swmbo I don’t sleep in the shed :D
John
sneggysteve

Post by sneggysteve »

Try

Barclays stand alone - includes liability
£16.50 with £50 excess on £1000 e bike. Covers all bikes up to the value of most expensive

Bike insurance | Bicycle insurance | Barclays
Protect your pedals, home and away. Insure your most expensive bike and we’ll automatically cover all the other bikes in your home up to the same value.
www.barclays.co.uk www.barclays.co.uk
peterb

Post by peterb »

sneggysteve wrote: 8 Jul 2021, 9:13pm Try

Barclays stand alone - includes liability
£16.50 with £50 excess on £1000 e bike. Covers all bikes up to the value of most expensive

Bike insurance | Bicycle insurance | Barclays
Protect your pedals, home and away. Insure your most expensive bike and we’ll automatically cover all the other bikes in your home up to the same value.
www.barclays.co.uk www.barclays.co.uk
'stand alone' - do you mean no need to have their home insurance, or is it just an add on to the home policy? Is £16.50 annual or monthly?
sneggysteve

Post by sneggysteve »

Just a stand alone policy - £16.50 for the year. I later added a £1200 bike and increased cover to £2000 (because that was the next band I think) at no extra charge. Policy covers all bikes up to the value of the most expensive.

Have a look at pedelec thread - https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/thread ... ost-612165

Steve
peterb

Post by peterb »

Just tried a quote - £17.42 per annum for £2500 bike + others up to that figure. That's amazing. Doesn't appear to specify what grade lock you use either, just locked to an immovable object outside or in locked building.
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

I think you've read it wrong. I just tried a quote for 3.5k bike with 100 excess (I don;t see that the excess makes a difference to the quote): 150 a year.
I do like that it insures all bikes up to that value though.
cyclemad

Post by cyclemad »

when I first added my wifes eBIKE to our house insurance the insurance co ( AVIVA ) went into meltdown ....they hadn't a clue about Ebikes and tried to convince me ( sadly they lost ) that the bike was a motorcycle ./ and then they said it was on the same par as a mobility scooter ! ......and quoted me an extra £200 per year on my house insurance then after checking with their underwriter they refused to cover it. Several calls later over a period of approx 4 weeks and then finally accepted it was an ''electrically assisted PEDAL CYCLE ''but I had to submit a specification report from the manufacturer and the cost was an extra £12 per year. That was in 2015...and things have changed along with insurance companies knowledge of bikes.

Now I declare its an bike but its just covered under cycles ''over £2500'' each and as long as its kept in a locked garage at home while not in use and then locked to an immobile object when being used etc there is no stipulation as to type of lock.. I am still with Aviva and I believe the extra charge for expensive ( over £2500 per cycle ) cycles is around another £35 per year but that covers all my bikes including an S-WORKS Venge and a Colnago C64.

:)
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

peterb wrote: 9 Jul 2021, 2:57pm Just tried a quote - £17.42 per annum for £2500 bike + others up to that figure. That's amazing. Doesn't appear to specify what grade lock you use either, just locked to an immovable object outside or in locked building.
Interesting, as your quote is about the same as the monthly quote I got. Either it's because I'm in a dangerous age bracket (mid 40s) or because I live in the crime capital of the UK (Bournville).

Anyway, looks like the smart move it to do it on the house insurance, unfortunately for me Coop won't insure a bike above 2k(? could be 2.5, but wouldn't cover the Tern or my Catrike). So I need to find something to cover a two month gap and then look at home insurances.
peterb

Post by peterb »

belgiangoth wrote: 10 Jul 2021, 9:48pm I think you've read it wrong. I just tried a quote for 3.5k bike with 100 excess (I don;t see that the excess makes a difference to the quote): 150 a year.
I do like that it insures all bikes up to that value though.
Did sound too good to be true so went through the whole quote procedure again:

"Annual cost £17.42
One single payment
View your premium breakdown
11 monthly payments £1.46 Final (12th) payment £1.36
Total amount payable £17.42 ...

Our bike cover will soon have you and your family back up and pedalling if you suffer loss or damage to your bikes (including electric bikes), whether at home or anywhere in the world. show moreabout bike coverWould you like to include bike cover?
How much would it cost to replace the most expensive bike? £2,500
All other bikes at your address will be covered up to this value ..."

Same again - £17.42! Maybe I'm in a low crime area?
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

It's possibly my living in (crime ridden) Birmingham or my being an undependable yoof (mid 40s).

I should try a different postcode and see.