Hub Geared E-Bike

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
saudidave

Re: Hub Geared E-Bike

Post by saudidave »

I have a Raleigh Motus Grand Tour with a Nexus 8 speed hub gear. The house was flooded when the bike had done 500 miles resulting in filthy water getting in to the submerged hub and at 700 miles it made screeching noises and started to seize up. I had an oil service done at my LBS, (Woodsons in Stockport) and it was sweet as a nut once more. I'm quite certain I could do that service myself if I put my mind to it, but at £25.00 a time and a service kit costing £100.00, it's not an issue. I had another oil service at 1800miles, as a precaution really as it was running well. It's now done 3,000 miles and has been totally trouble free.
I found initially that sudden jumping gear changes were happening and that led me to believe that the hub was faulty, until I realised that the issue was down to me partially holding the twist action gear changer to enable quick changes, but it is really sensitive and I've learnt to keep my fingers well clear of it between changes. Once I'd adapted to that and to a pedalling pause or quick back pedal whilst changing gears I've had no problems with the hub and quite like it, but no more so than a derailleur.
The question is would I have another IGH e-bike? If I could have a 14 speed Rohloff, or a bike with a belt drive, possibly yes, but otherwise I'm none too sure. I got one thinking low maintenance but a chain tensioner is a necessity, thus chain cleaning is almost as much a faff as with a derailleur which is both a lighter solution and more efficient. Chain life is also much better with an IGH, well in excess of 1,000 miles, but since I routinely service the bike myself with new disc pads and chain every 1,000 miles I don't know how many miles it would take to wear my chains out! Fitting a new chain is a quick process for me and the bottom line is that for me personally, with the skills to service my bike myself, the maintenance issue doesn't really come in to it.

The Raleigh Motus Grand Tour is an excellent choice, however the latest version only has a 7 speed Nexus, not an 8. The rest of the spec is excellent apart from the pogo stick suspension seat post which is a joke. I replaced mine with a Thudbuster. Up until last year the flagship model Raleigh Centros was available with an 8 speed Nexus and a Gates belt drive but that doesn't appear t be available now