A tale of three batteries!

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
sharpedge

A tale of three batteries!

Post by sharpedge »

When I had the Bafang system fitted to my ICE Adventure HD 2 years ago I was assured that the 13.5Ah battery would be sufficient. I questioned this as I live in Cumbria but was told to get a second battery if I felt it necessary.

So here we are, two years in and I want another battery. Problem is my original battery has the four pole connection and the new ones are five pole and naturally they are not compatible. I could find the four pole type online - available from China but did not want to go that route. Eventually I contacted eBike batteries in London. They were very helpful and said that although they too were waiting on a back order of 4 pole cases (12 months late), they had two of the large 5 pole cases and could make me up a pair of 20Ah units. This is what I went for, together with a new 3A charger (naturally the old charger does not fit the new batteries!!!).So I now have a larger battery and the ability to take a spare with me. Looks like I will get somewhere near 50 miles per battery and that is more than I will probably do in a day.

I would recommend eBike batteries - Both Jimmy and Jem are knowledgeable and very helpful. I had an extra long lead fitted to one of the bases (need it on the trike) no problem. The other base has no leads as it is just for carrying the spare battery securely.

My old battery will be up for grabs with the charger from the week after next - no reasonable offer refused. It still performs well even though it is two years old. If you have the same four pole system this is an opportunity to get a second battery even if you have it re-celled (something eBike batteries do).