Carrera crossfuse- help

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Oxcom68

Carrera crossfuse- help

Post by Oxcom68 »

I purchased a used crossfuse today and would appreciate some advice.
It's had a different rear cassette put on and a longer chain so I put these both back to normal because I wanted to experience it bog standard before I changed anything.
I noticed the front chain ring is slightly buckled so would like to replace it..I googled it and it's apparently a Bosch 42t 170 mm.I phoned Halfords who say I need to take bike in to get it assessed as I don't know year of make.
Does anyone know where I can get a front chain ring..my local shop say go to Halfords.. Halfords say they need to have bike to look at and parts are very hit and miss at moment.Anyone?
I'm a new member.
Been riding a crossfire for 3 years and fancied an upgrade as falling apart.
stodd

Re: Carrera crossfuse- help

Post by stodd »

The crossfuse should certainly be a big improvement on your crossfire.
I can't help reliably on the Bosch spares, but if you ask at https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/forums ... cussion.2/ there are people who can definitely give the right answer.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Some advice from Sheldon Brown on straightening buckled chainwheels. :wink:
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/straighten-chw.html
If the chainwheel is buckled an adjustable spanner clamped on the chainring can be used too tweak it straight.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Oxcom68

Post by Oxcom68 »

Thanks for advice.
I ended up tweaking it with an adjustable spanner and it's much better.Not perfect but nothing to worry about.
Took it for its maiden voyage this afternoon and did 20 miles around Oxford ,some roads,some river towpath,some cycle tracks and felt great ... totally different to the crossfire.
It felt like I was riding my old Boardman hybrid but better.
Very smooth...I can feel a slight amount of buzzing/ vibration through the alloy aftermarket pedals but I hope this is normal and very slight anyway.
It's equipped with Scwalbe marathon e plus tyres and they seem great too...they state maximum psi as 70 which is a fair bit lower than the 85psi that the marathon on the crossfire had.