Recommendations for 60 year old returning to cycling

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
scotvip

Recommendations for 60 year old returning to cycling

Post by scotvip »

Hi, I'm needing some help not new to cycling, but health etc has kept me off my bike for a few years, so now thinking maybe an ebike might be way to go. I'm 60 year old very overweight lower back and knee problems, so probably looking for a sit up and beg style bike. I've been scouring the net for info, but there's so much, hence asking here, anyone got info on a bike that would suit my needs.
Many thanks in advance
S
nez

Re: Recommendations for 60 year old returning to cycling

Post by nez »

I belong to a small group of riders many of whom are in the over 60 category. About half of us has moved over to an ebike. You won't regret it. I have a Koga, which is expensive, but I can't help but notice Raleigh bikes are popular in the group and appear to be well made with Bosch motors.
Good luck
stodd

Post by stodd »

As the other poster has mentioned, Raleigh bikes are suitable. I'm 74 and we've got an older Motus step-through with hub gears we bought second hand. I share it with my wife, and we have an electrified tandem for when we go out together.

There have been some assembly issues with the Raleigh bikes; you need to check things like rack support bolts, but generally well assembled out of typical good Chinese/Asian parts. Bosch electrics are fairly reliable, but proprietary and very expensive for repairs etc if anything does go wrong, or battery replacement.

A place to look is https://wooshbikes.co.uk/, mail order unless you are near Southend, but very good value for money and excellent customer service. They almost exclusively use quality standard parts which will be easier/cheaper for repair (or in the worst case replacement).
sneggysteve

Post by sneggysteve »

I have a Volt Pulse and very satisfied - I am 69 yo covering 50/60 miles a week
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I have my 20 year old Raleigh to which I retro fitted a motor. I am 72 and manage 70-100 miles a week. Until last year I also had two or three 500 mile tours with full camping kit.

Without the assistance I would have had to give up 5 years ago. As others have said, Raleigh, Whoosh and Volt are great bikes.

Onwards and upwards: great times ahead for you to enjoy.
John
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I would recommend a German sit up and beg ebike with a Bosch motor. Heavy, reliable and well built. Cost around £2k. You get suspension forks, a rack, mudguards, lights, a comfy saddle and a stiff frame suitable for carrying fully loaded panniers for shopping or touring. The battery is external which means you dont have to bring the bike inside to charge it up. Loads of choice of makers Bosch motors are superb.
There are racer type ebikes with drops, but they are useless for carrying loads and very expensive. A mate just paid more than £5k for one. Cheapo ebikes suffer multiple failures including ones 'made' in the uk.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Whatever you get, make sure it'll be light enough to put in the car. I have a dodgy back, and holding 15kg out in front of me to shove it in is liable to pop something and have me grumping round the house for a fortnight.

Fortunately I'm not quite decrepit enough to need an eBike yet, but chum's Bosch-motored bike is 24kg. Last time he had a problem (rear-ended by a car, back wheel taco'd) it took two of us to load it.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

@scotvip - You might get a more targetted response if we knew your budget and intended use and terrain as like all things you can pay many £k for some ebikes.
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
stodd

Post by stodd »

al_yrpal wrote: 27 Jul 2021, 8:50am Cheapo ebikes suffer multiple failures including ones 'made' in the uk.
That is true of almost all the very cheapo bikes. I don't know of any statistics to say that slightly upmarket (such as Woosh and Wisper) have any lower reliability than the more expensive Bosch based bikes. They are certainly much cheaper to fix if anything does go wrong. Your biggest problem is likely to be availability; with almost any edike.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

My motor was relatively cheap and Chinese. But I have done many thousands of miles without difficulty.
John
Grumpy-Grandad

Post by Grumpy-Grandad »

I'm 67 with chronic osteoarthritis (hands, feet, knees, hip & neck) ..... I ride a Carrera Crossfuse and really enjoy it .... my wife also has one.
Bosch mid motor is very good and Turbo mode will get you up any hill ..... but I've only had to use it a few times so far as I usually ride in Eco, the lowest assistance level :D
Steve
DiggyGun

Post by DiggyGun »

I started cycling two years ago after not cycling for about 40 years. I went for an eBike and chose a step through to make the getting on and off easier.

I chose the Raleigh Motus GT Low step and it’s been a great bike. Didn’t use it much during 2020 as I contracted the dreaded Long Covid, which put me out of action for a long time.

The bike as I said, is great and the only thing I’ve changed are the tyres to a Road and Gravel set. However, I’m now in the process of selling the bike as I’m changing and it’s on eBay.

If you’re interested, please PM me.

UPDATE
Now sold
Last edited by DiggyGun on 8 Aug 2021, 7:06pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ianwhitwell

Post by Ianwhitwell »

I can definitely recommend Kalkhoff bikes. Bought one for my wife and have been very impressed. Having done a lot of research prior to this I would recommend a crank motor and a reputable make and the largest battery you can get.
scotvip

Post by scotvip »

Many Thanks for all your replies
Cheers
Scott