Continuously variable gearing

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
PH

Continuously variable gearing

Post by PH »

I'm casually browsing small cargo bikes and notice that a fair few have continuously variable gearing. This isn't something I know much about and whenever I've seen it come up on here and elsewhere it seems to be dismissed, though that hasn't usually been in the context of an E-bike. These are not cheap bikes and from reputable suppliers, R&M, Bergamont... and some have gone a step further to include automatic shifting.
Interested in opinions of course, but would really appreciate if anyone has some experience to share.
Thanks
Jdsk

Re: Continuously variable gearing

Post by Jdsk »

The Enviolo CVT hub:
https://evelo.com/pages/enviolo-cvt

Jonathan
PH

Post by PH »

Jdsk wrote: 2 Aug 2021, 10:11am The Enviolo CVT hub:
https://evelo.com/pages/enviolo-cvt
Jonathan
Thanks, but I'm capable of using Google all on my own :wink:
I'm interested in opinion and even more so experience, from users of this forum rather than those who sell them.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I didn't know that they existed. When I found that one I thought that other people might be interested. If anyone finds information about other available CVT systems please could they post links so that I can have a look.

Thanks

Jonathan
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

No experience :roll: but suspect that e-assist masks the relative inefficiency and small gear range of CVTs, plus the lack of a stepped gear change should greatly improve transmission life, given the higher weight expected of a cargo bike.
YMMV.
"42"
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

From what I've read the Enviolo is reliable and low maintenance. Its 380% gear range is enough on an EPAC. The efficiency does fall apparently near the extremes. It's heavy, heavier than a Rohloff so probably not a good option if you want rear suspension. Tern have it as an option on their GSD and HSD eBikes. I'd certainly consider it for an eBike.
sharpedge

Post by sharpedge »

Now offered by ICE as an option on the e-trilkes
PH

Post by PH »

Well, to answer my own curiosity, I had a test ride on a Riese & Müller with one, very impressive bike, but I'm still unsure of the gearing. Maybe it takes more time to get used to it, or maybe the idea of gear steps is too ingrained, either way it's off my shortlist.
DiggyGun

Post by DiggyGun »

I have just got a R&M Nevo3 GT Vario GX. This has the Enviolo constantly variable hub and I have to admit that I thoroughly love it.

The bike is very easy to ride, you sort of find a comfortable spot on the grip shift and mainly stay there, with little tweaks to adjust and add more or less resistance for going up or down hills.

Unlike a bike with indexed gears, you are not constantly changing gears. Also, you can change gear when you are not moving. For example, if you have to stop suddenly and were at a higher setting, you can twist to a lower setting to pull away easier.

So far, it has been a joy to ride and is a much more comfortable and a stable bike than my previous bike, which was a Raleigh Motus GT.

So my conclusion is that I can totally recommend the Enviolo gearing.
PH

Post by PH »

DiggyGun wrote: 24 Aug 2021, 8:37am I have just got a R&M Nevo3 GT Vario GX. This has the Enviolo constantly variable hub and I have to admit that I thoroughly love it.
Thanks for sharing your experience, I can see the advantages, though as a long term IGH user I'm already familiar with some of them. I'd have liked a longer trial than the hour I had, I found it a bit disconcerting not having a gear to click into, though it's possibly something I'd have got used to. Nice bike BTW, all the R&M's seem very well thought out and built.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Our small car has cvt and it's more economic on fuel than the geared version -- plus it's much faster and safer cos your in the right gear for every corner.

Formula 1 banned it in 1992 cos it was too much of an advantage on lap times --they made some excuse that it was too much of a departure from the ' traditional car ' -- I think it got banned when Williams were testing it so it never made it to a race. And I always thought formula 1 was the blue ribbon class where new innovations filtered down to road vehicles. No it's archaic and very boring.
I am here. Where are you?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

I had a go on an electric ice trike this summer but it had an 8 gear hub with Di2 shifting with auto mode -- not the same as cvt -- impressed me none the less. You could buy a good car for the price though. £7k :shock:
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Yep, but it wouldn't last as long, and would cost a fortune more in servicing and repairs, let alone fuel.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
stodd

Post by stodd »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 26 Aug 2021, 9:47am Yep, but it wouldn't last as long, and would cost a fortune more in servicing and repairs, let alone fuel.
Sadly expected life of a bicycle has gone down a lot over the last decades. It seems to be even worse for electric bikes. Meanwhile, expected life of a car has significantly increased. So I'm not sure about the 'it wouldn't last as long', but I certainly agree with you on servicing and repairs.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

stodd wrote: 26 Aug 2021, 11:44am
[XAP]Bob wrote: 26 Aug 2021, 9:47am Yep, but it wouldn't last as long, and would cost a fortune more in servicing and repairs, let alone fuel.
Sadly expected life of a bicycle has gone down a lot over the last decades. It seems to be even worse for electric bikes. Meanwhile, expected life of a car has significantly increased. So I'm not sure about the 'it wouldn't last as long', but I certainly agree with you on servicing and repairs.
I have a car that's nearly 50 years old and it's better now than it was when it rolled off the production line -- I've just thrown my 60 year old bicycle in the scrap metal skip.