Have health issues but want to get into mountain biking

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
batman

Have health issues but want to get into mountain biking

Post by batman »

Ive been thinking about getting into biking again, last time was when I was a kid. I did buy a regular mountain bike a couple of years ago and rode it once and never touched it again. Reason being is I struggle with asthma when I do any kind of excercise. I managed about 20 mins on on flat ground and a small slopes before having to push my last bike.

My question is does anyone have any advice on electric mountain bikes?
I have around £1000 to spend, so was wondering what to get or even if it is worth it?
How much are they assisted when pedaling?

I'd like to be able to go off road in the woods without being completely drained.

Just would be nice to get out again like when I was a kid.

Thanks for any help.
Jdsk

Re: Have health issues but want to get into mountain biking

Post by Jdsk »

Welcome.

batman wrote: 4 Aug 2021, 5:56pmHow much are they assisted when pedaling?
To be legal on roads etc it has to meet these constraints:
https://www.gov.uk/electric-bike-rules

I'd strongly recommend trying before buying. Where are you?

Jonathan
stodd

Post by stodd »

You could probably do a conversion of your existing bike for around £700 buying a kit from a respectable supplier such as Woosh. You could get away with somewhat less if you were careful about compatibility of the various bits and willing to accept less helpful customer service.

It depends a lot on how rough mountain biking you want. If it is basically keeping to reasonable bridleways you don't need anything very special. If you want to be more technical a crank drive motor is probably your best bet; just be prepared for plenty of transmission maintenance.

There are two kinds of sensor. Cadence sensor is simpler and cheaper, and provides power as long as you are pedalling, regardless how hard you peddle. The power depends on the setting (typically 5 levels). Very helpful at the end of a tiring ride to just 'ghost' peddle; keep the cranks turning and the motor does the work. A torque sensor senses how hard you are pedalling and gives you a multiple of that from the motor. Maybe at lowest setting the multiplier is just 50%, you do 2/3 the work and it does 1/3. At the highest setting the multiplier might be around 300%, you do 1/4 and it does 3/4. Torque sensor gives more natural control; important for more technical riding.
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

Before spending that much, I would suggest that you rent an ebike for a weekend and see how you like it.
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

That much won't get you much of an e MTB, sorry.
Conversion or maybe better someone elses and they can take the hit.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

You will get a very modest bike from Halfords, or somewhere, which would not be a problem if you were tootling around town with some modest trips.

Or an extremely good motor to add to your current bike. Of course, we know little about your current bike.
John
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Welcome to the forum.

I don't expect that you need any help in managing your asthma, however, it is normal for people who have not done a particular type of exercise (recently) to struggle some, even if they don't have asthma. An e-bike will likely make things easier, but there are some things that you can do with an unassisted bike, and may still need to consider with an e-bike.

-If you have a preventer medication, use it before you go out (if not, maybe talk to your GP or asthma nurse about if it would benefit you?)
-use your easiest gears & keep your pace low enough that it doesn't require more work/harder breathing than walking; it shouldn't feel like exercise (If you can't do that, easier gears and/or electric assist may help)
-if you hit a slope, get off and walk, rather than risking an asthma attack
-it may help to ride with a friend or family member, at least whilst you learn what your limits are
-tell anyone you exercise with that you have asthma, and what to do if you have an asthma attack
-stop and rest or walk for a bit, anytime you need to (and don't worry about what others might think)
-if things like pollen, dust, heat, or cold bother you, avoid going out on days when they exceed your threshold

20 minutes is a good start. If you build up gradually, both in terms of effort and distance, you should be able to do what you want to whether you use your current bike (if you still have it?), or an e-bike. Improvement will be more noticeable with little & often, rather than once in a while. Riding your bike 1 mile to the newstand every day will do more good than riding a few miles to the woods every second Saturday. Riding your bike 1 mile to the newstand every day and going a bit further a couple of days a week will do more good, yet. Edited to add: if you can't do every day, a few times per week for short distances is still better than a few times a month.

If whatever you pick for a regular ride has a slope, ride it a few feet further every few days and pretty soon, you won't have to walk any of it. Just remember that it shouldn't feel like exercise. If it does, try an easier gear or get off and walk.

With this approach and persistence, you can almost certainly do what you want. I do recommend talking to your GP or asthma nurse about it. Hopefully, they will be supportive.

I don't have much experience with e-bikes, but road cc did an article on e-bikes around your budget last year. https://ebiketips.road.cc/content/advic ... n-a-budget

This comes with a warning: bikes and some bike parts are in short supply at the moment, which means long delivery times, and increasing prices. You may be better off either working with what you've got, or adding e-bike kit, as suggested above.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
batman

Post by batman »

Thanks everyone for the reply, it all helps. Might try and find somewhere to rent or at least try one.
Seems a bit of a minefield as they vary so much in price and there are a lot of unknown brands, some of which could be great but I just don't know.
ChristopherN

Post by ChristopherN »

Try to use a semi electric bike, and take someone with you. Take rests more often to not get tired, and you should be okay.