Front Motor and Battery Kit

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Cowsham

Re: Front Motor and Battery Kit

Post by Cowsham »

The size of the hub ( it'll be bigger usually so shorter spokes may cause a lacing problem ) and number of spokes would be the main consideration with regards fit. I'd try to get the right rim fitted an all or move to different size rim.
I am here. Where are you?
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Wasteful as it is, I suspect buying complete and re-building might be more economical than buying the parts
That's my impression. I'm also thinking that buying separate components, such as throttle control, sensors, motor, etc. would need a lot of work to tie all together, whereas simply buying a kit such as the Swytch and rebuilding the front wheel, is relatively straightforward, 'specially for someone who's laced a wheel before. That's the way I would go.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
stodd

Post by stodd »

Jdsk wrote: 27 Aug 2021, 9:53am What's the estimated saving from using the old rim?
Jonathan
Probably not much savings, but it is a 27" rim and you won't get a pre-built hub wheel with a 27" rim.

You could probably replace it with a 700c; assuming the brakes have enough adjustment, or by replacing the brakes which (as mentioned above) may well be rubbish if they are the originals.
That would also give access to a much wider range of tyres, but somewhat destroy the 'vintage' of the bike. I rode a mixed 27" 700c for a time, as I am sure many of us have done; it's now 700c on both wheels.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

stodd wrote: 27 Aug 2021, 11:46am
Jdsk wrote: 27 Aug 2021, 9:53am What's the estimated saving from using the old rim?
Probably not much savings, but it is a 27" rim and you won't get a pre-built hub wheel with a 27" rim.
Thank you

Jonathan
PH

Post by PH »

stodd wrote: 27 Aug 2021, 11:46am somewhat destroy the 'vintage' of the bike.
I think adding a motor will already have done that :wink:
the snail

Post by the snail »

The easiest solution would be to buy a complete 700c front wheel kit and adjust the brakes to suit. A better solution imo would be to get a crank drive kit like bafang or tongsheng, which would probably go straight on, without any wheel building, and give a better ride than a front wheel conversion.
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

I would take good note of what Stradageek and Cowsham mentioned upthread.

The spokes and hence nipples will be thicker gauge and not quite so easy to build with. The motor hub will also most likely be of a much greater diameter which will necessitate shorter spokes. Although not a major problem it will make the build less straightforward than a run of the mill wheelbuild.

However Mick, a man of your calibre..........good luck, I converted a tandem to front wheel hub motor (Woosh) and have never regretted it.
Bobbin

Post by Bobbin »

I bought a kit with bare motor direct from Xiongda, the manufacturer, via aliexpress. It came with compatible controller, display and crank sensor. Cost about £140 . Got a battery from a different supplier off aliexpress, about £100.
Built into a 26” mtb wheel. First wheel build for me , all fairly straightforward, just a bit mindbending working out the spoke lengths. :D
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Met a guy this morning out on his converted Ebike. Since he converted his he has done another five for other local people. He is a retired AA man so know his components. He uses kits from this company https://www.cyclotricity.com/uk/. Although they have gone up £100 this year he reckons they are a good product.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks guys.
Still thinking about this.

The "vintage of the bike" issue is long gone.
Most of Barbie has been consigned to the dump.
I fitted the alu rims and rebuilt the wheel using the same spokes, and it was later that I fitted the Nexus stuff and used new SS spokes.

I'm not a lover of 700c on a frame designed for 27". Yes, I know the difference isn't much, but to look at the wheels side-by-side the difference is marked IMHO.
27" tyres are available, so it isn't a problem.

Yes, the battery on the down tube would be best.
Not thought about a crank motor as I thought the frame needed to be modified.
the snail wrote: 27 Aug 2021, 4:50pmA better solution imo would be to get a crank drive kit like bafang or tongsheng, which would probably go straight on, without any wheel building, and give a better ride than a front wheel conversion.
Any links for a crank motor please?
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
stodd

Post by stodd »

Mick F wrote: 28 Aug 2021, 1:12pm Any links for a crank motor please?
Hmm , I made a post and it disappeared....

Not is stock at the moment, but https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?cdkit

I've never fitted one. People say it's easier than a hub kit; I find it difficult to believe its easier than a front hub kit. Most likely issue is if any cables are routed under the bottom bracket, especially if there are cable brazings which may need to be ground off.

Transmission wear will be worse with a crank motor. The Shimano hub gears seem able to cope fine; many ebikes are sold with crank drive and hub gear, including our old Motus. I guess most people who want a bike like that are probably not going to stress the transmission that much even with the crank motor.

~~~
p.s. one advantage of 700c on a frame designed for 27" is that you can probably fit fatter tyres (depending whether the clearance constraint is width or radius).
rjb

Post by rjb »

Can you fit a triple chainset to the mid motor kits? Looks like a standard square taper but how does the supplied chainwheel fit? the right crank looks like a crank only with no attached chainwheel. Does the chainwheel bolt directly to the motor? All the pics show it from the left side. :? No views from the right. Are the bottom bracket bearings replacable or do you scrap the whole unit when the BB wears out.?
Last edited by rjb on 28 Aug 2021, 4:11pm, edited 1 time in total.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
stodd

Post by stodd »

rjb wrote: 28 Aug 2021, 3:58pm Can you fit a triple chainset to the mid motor kits? Looks like a standard square taper but how does the supplied chainwheel fit? All the pics show it from the left side. :? No views from the right.
Not sure what the issue is but there does seem to be one. Chainlike may be awkward (people talk of Lekkie rings to help with that), but I don't see why

For example, see https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/thread ... ost-247315 and the following post by Nealh Just single ring only no option for front mech. He knows what he is talking about (much more than I do).

There's an exploded diagram of a typical one just under half way down https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?cdkit
the snail

Post by the snail »

rjb wrote: 28 Aug 2021, 3:58pm Can you fit a triple chainset to the mid motor kits? Looks like a standard square taper but how does the supplied chainwheel fit? the right crank looks like a crank only with no chainwheel. All the pics show it from the left side. :? No views from the right.
You don't need more than 1 ring with the motor, ime. I converted my 3x8 bike, and even when I had derailleur problems and couldn't get 2 bottom cogs I could get up hills no problem. Provided you have decent ratios, probably 6 gears would be plenty. As long as you have a traditional bb without braze ons to get in the way, installation is pretty straightforward (I took off the cable guide, and used cable outer for the full run.) The hardest part of the conversion was getting the old crankset off.