Hi newbie here - wondering about e-trikes

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Robyn65

Hi newbie here - wondering about e-trikes

Post by Robyn65 »

:? :D Hi all so I don’t cycle as of until last month but I have purchased a e trike as disabled and only can use electric atm ( waiting on op on other leg 🦵) hopefully fix soon lol … so I live south coast I went on my second ride today and omg I find the road so much easier as to my dips n slants and pots holes on the pavement:( ( cycle path bit) so was wondering if any advice on e trikes !! Many thanks robyn from south coast :)
sharpedge

Re: Hi newbie here - wondering about e-trikes

Post by sharpedge »

I have an ICE Adventure HD which I had a Bafang motor fitted after one year. Two years later I am well pleased with it. It is comfortable, stable and with the new bigger battery (20AH) gives me the capacity for a full days ride. Yesterday for instance I did 35 miles of the Walney to Wear route which had a lot of nasty short hills. Dont get a lower capacity battery. The ICE is also available with the Bosch system if you would prefer that route. If you order one get the full suspension for comfort and you may like to think about the seat riser (makes getting off much easier)! I bought mine through Get Cycling in York which has one to try which is what I did. Another important advantage of ICE is that the trike folds and goes in the car - makes the possibilities much greater. Remember - it wont go on the train like a two wheeler!
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

Welcome ..... :D

Upwrong or recumbent ??
I ask because it affects the handling.
A trike will turn away from your CoG.
If you lean right on a bike then the bike will turn right.
If you lean right on a trike then the trike will turn left.
So if you lean right to counteract a road camber the a trike will automagically try and turn left and you can end up in the ditch.
The lower CoG on a recumbent means this effect is barely noticeable but an uprong trike can be "fun" on a badly cambered road.

On the road I treat my non-motorized recumbent trike as a small car.
So I line my left hand wheel where a cars left hand wheel would go.
It does move me further out, but the tarmacs better and the camber is less out there.
This does force car drivers to move even further out and overtake me properly vs just trying to squeeze passed when you're in the gutter.
In the long run you'll get less very close passes doing that.

Luck ......... :D
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I had e-assist on my commuting trike (recumbent) for a few years - was a self fit, and really did improve my average speed nicely (less stress starting off from lights, and a couple of short hills which just brought down the average speed - and when commuting 15 miles each way it's also quite nice to have a bail out option if you bonk.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Teggletone

Post by Teggletone »

There is an electric version of this if you can afford it; https://quest88.com/collections/cycling ... s/trigo-up
It can also be fitted with a diff [if you can afford it!] - useful on grotty country roads. Very stable and when you turn the handle bars to the left it turns left. A friend of mine could afford one and is very chuffed with it.
volvofangal

Post by volvofangal »

hi all im katt :D im hoping u can help im trying to find a recumbent trike as i strugle to ride a normal bike as i was hit by a drunk driver in 07 and totaled me and the scooter i was on i have a limeted budget can u help me plesse thank u