Orbea Vibe H30

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
tomp734444

Orbea Vibe H30

Post by tomp734444 »

Hi, I’m seriously considering an Orbea Vibe H30 and what I’ve read about it seems positive. However, some reviews have said that the assistance level on steep hills is not very much as the sensors are attached to the freewheel, and the slower rotation on hills means that when you need power most, you get less. Is this the case in practice? My local dealer will only allow me to ride round the car park, so can’t get a proper feel for the bike’s performance.
It is better to travel than to arrive.
Bonefishblues

Re: Orbea Vibe H30

Post by Bonefishblues »

That would see me visiting another dealer or investigating alternatives, I must confess.
stodd

Post by stodd »

tomp734444 wrote: 1 Sep 2021, 12:42pm Hi, I’m seriously considering an Orbea Vibe H30 and what I’ve read about it seems positive. However, some reviews have said that the assistance level on steep hills is not very much as the sensors are attached to the freewheel, and the slower rotation on hills means that when you need power most, you get less. Is this the case in practice? My local dealer will only allow me to ride round the car park, so can’t get a proper feel for the bike’s performance.
Looking at it I see it is a hub motor (I didn't realize ebikemotion made hub motors till now). All hub motors have one big disadvantage compared to crank drive motors; they do not take advantage of the gears, and so as you say suffer from lower efficiency at lower speeds, when you need more power you get less. (They also have several advantages, such as being a bit simpler and saving transmission wear). With a powerful hub motor that is usually not too serious except for very steep hills. However, most of the ebikemotion systems are designed for low weight and thus relatively low power; despite lowish internal gearing that motor still only claims 40nm torque (*). They also have very low capacity batteries that keep the weight down, but assume the rider will still do most of the work.

All this is excellent (so I have heard) for giving some assistance but keeping a lightweight bike feel. It suffers compared to more typical (heavier) ebikes in limited hill climbing assistance, and very small range if you make serious use of assistance for riding on the flat.

We have a tandem with a somewhat underpowered for a tandem hub motor (XF07); it certainly struggles on hills unless we put in quite a bit of effort and keep to 8mph or so. Drop much below that and output power drops, you slow down, and so on Nevertheless, it still means we can get up lots of hills we couldn't without it.

Unfortunately these days very few local bike shops permit proper test rides.

(*) from https://www.ebikemotion.com/web/x35-lig ... ke-system/ The engine offers an incredible torque thanks to its gearing, reaching 40 Nm in the wheel axis, and with an optimal result at speeds between 15 and 25 km. Well, I am afraid 40nm isn't much for a low geared system, certainly not incredible.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

I swapped the standard 34 tooth bottom sprocket on my Orbea Gain for a 40 tooth. This has improved the level of assistance on the steeper hills.
richtea99

Post by richtea99 »

As an owner of the Vibe equivalent (an Orbea Gain), I can confirm steep hills are not a free ride.
If you have some fitness, then it's a pleasure up until about 1-in-10, but steeper than that and you have to put the effort in. However, it's still easier then being under your own power!
If you're quite unfit and want to tackle steep hills with mininal effort then you'll probably be better with a different model.

The beauty of the Vibe (and Gain) is that they're reasonably lightweight - maybe just 3Kgs more then the average bike, yet still offer plenty of power for most situations.

I tend to maybe ride 20-30 miles at a time, and only switch the assistance on once or twice a ride for steepish hills. I'm half-fit, don't feel the need to go fast (10-12mph average), but don't like suffering up hills - hence the ebike. For that sort of usage the battery lasts for 4 or 5 rides.

I think the decision will be based on your fitness, your normal cycling terrain, and also how far you want to cycle. Oh, and your weight. Lighter people need less energy to climb a hill - force * distance, and all that.
willcee

Post by willcee »

Interesting comments, As someone who has a friend using Gains for 3 years now, I also have Built a machine, Whyte gravel frameset using a pair of wheels including the Mahle X35 hub which Orbea use, but as i got them other than through the dealers Ebay some years back bought by my chum as spares for his first AlloyGain, they are no longer being controlled by the Orbea controller, but by Bafang kit same as would be used by them on their hubs, and its brilliant..
I have great contacts within the cycle trade in Ulster and yesterday had occasion to call on one of the most successful Giant dealers in the North,, my chum was attending an appt locally and was considering a new Road E Giant as his is 3 past and has a total of 3800miles without issue , we made a visit to see what was around that was the correct size.... we chatted for maybe a half hour and the oldest son was more knowledgeable around E stuff that i have found in most LBS, his view of the mahle system where contolled by Orbea or Ribble or whatever company bought into this package it was and is designed for cyclists not for those who want help up hills, now mine is somewhat better in not having the soft decline of torque done sweetly as that may be at 25kph ,mine has power right up to around 23 and tails there which is how it should have been if they had set the limits sensibly for the guys whom they aimed it at, and thats how it is in USA as far as i hear..
so hill climbing buy a Giant, that Yamaha power unit has proven itself many times over ,ime better than Bosch, the dealer guy says they had issues with the internal wiring, never any fault codes with the power unit and he reckons 3.8k miles is low and would be interested in a trade in... will
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

My wife is after an E road bike and has been looking at the Ribble and the Orbea Gain. We went to Sigma in Oakham yesterday and they had a Gain in stock (not her size) but I was surprised at how heavy it was. There is no stated weight on the website but I reckon it’s at least 15kg. She can ride pretty fast on the flat, she can easily do 16mph average on a flattish ride, but struggles on hills due to being a bit overweight and because of her asthma. We were looking at the base model Gain with the Claris groupset and mechanical discs.

Does anyone know the actual weight of the Gain, and is it worth upgrading to the Tiagra model with hydraulic discs?
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
cedzz

Post by cedzz »

I have heart arrhythmia and had a defibrillator fitted four and a bit years ago, up till then I was an ultra runner and a keen cyclist, with a carbon race bike and a carbon 29er MTB, so it was terribly disappointing to have to stop and sell my bikes. Three weeks ago I had an Orbea Vibe 10 Mid EQ delivered, I have been on it 19 times, 265 miles, and it is brilliant, both the bike and being able to cycle again. With the Orbea you do have to cycle, but, in spite I having to keep my pulse rate down, I have had no problems climbing fairly steep hills, the bike also has a 51 tooth cog on the back which no doubt helps. I have also hired a Whyte electric MTB a couple of times, equally brilliant, I now have one on order. The Orbea has the hub motor and the Whyte MTB a crank motor and there is a big difference, the crank motor is brilliant for helping you up short steep, twisty climbs at walking pace, but seems to run out of steam on faster rides, giving little help over about 10mph. The hub motor helps you move off, particularly uphill, but then smoothly and powerfully helps around the faster speeds, up to the 15.5mph. So personally I would say the Orbea is ideal with a hub motor on the road and the crank motor ideal in a MTB.
I have found the Orbea very well built, well kitted out with its Shimano XT groups and Magura disc brakes and great to ride. Weight wise, while much heavier than my carbon race bike was, it is fairly similar to my wife's old Raleigh ladies bike, which, like the Orbea, is kitted out with mudguards, rack, bags, lights, stand etc.
The only problem I have had is that on 30 mile rides, via a cafe, it pretty much stops helping after about 25 miles, in spite of having a little power left, so I have bought a range extender, which will give me about 50 miles of full help.
peterb

Post by peterb »

TrevA wrote: 4 Sep 2021, 7:12pm My wife is after an E road bike and has been looking at the Ribble and the Orbea Gain. We went to Sigma in Oakham yesterday and they had a Gain in stock (not her size) but I was surprised at how heavy it was. There is no stated weight on the website but I reckon it’s at least 15kg. She can ride pretty fast on the flat, she can easily do 16mph average on a flattish ride, but struggles on hills due to being a bit overweight and because of her asthma. We were looking at the base model Gain with the Claris groupset and mechanical discs.

Does anyone know the actual weight of the Gain, and is it worth upgrading to the Tiagra model with hydraulic discs?
My Gain is one of the original alloy framed ones with Tiagra. Size small frame. The weight as received - no pedals, cages etc was 14.31 Kg. Ready to ride, after fitting SPD pedals, bottle cages, phone mount, bell, saddlepack, 15.83 Kg. Tiagra is only a little lighter than Claris so I would think you are looking at a weight of around 15 to 16 Kg. As to hydraulic brakes I have no experience of mechanical discs, so can't advise.
peterb

Post by peterb »

cedzz wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 5:03pm The only problem I have had is that on 30 mile rides, via a cafe, it pretty much stops helping after about 25 miles, in spite of having a little power left, so I have bought a range extender, which will give me about 50 miles of full help.
After 3 years my battery has lost 10% of capacity, and even riding carefully and using assistance sparingly a realistic maximum range for my Gain is now around 42 miles. I have also experienced a sudden drop in assistance after 15 -16% battery remaining, down to 5 - 6% red light flashing and with no more than level 1 assistance.
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

I have the Vibe H10 and live at the top of a very steep hill (called “Cardiac Hill” locally!!). The Vibe allows me to climb the hill with much reduced effort, compared with a non-ebike, which I have to dismount.

In fact, I don’t even have to get out of the saddle, which is important to me because I have a Buddyrider installed (with 6 kg of dog onboard). The big difference between the H10 and H30 is the gearing, however, with the H10 going quite a bit lower, I believe.
634A5AF8-2F9F-4059-A6C2-5D73350BBDE8.jpeg
Last edited by Airsporter1st on 26 Feb 2022, 1:15pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

634A5AF8-2F9F-4059-A6C2-5D73350BBDE8.jpeg
634A5AF8-2F9F-4059-A6C2-5D73350BBDE8.jpeg (66.21 KiB) Viewed 3935 times
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

Thanks - I couldn’t work out how to rotate the pic.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

You're welcome. What a happy picture.

Jonathan
stodd

Post by stodd »

Airsporter1st wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 1:16pm Thanks - I couldn’t work out how to rotate the pic.
Yes, the first picture made it look like a very steep hiil.