Why are they so ugly?

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Jdsk

Re: Why are they so ugly?

Post by Jdsk »

oldtimer99 wrote: 4 Sep 2021, 3:08pm My Orbea Gain is very pretty.
I hope that you enjoyed the D20 which was one of my offerings above.

: - )

Jonathan
PH

Post by PH »

oldtimer99 wrote: 4 Sep 2021, 3:08pm My Orbea Gain is very pretty.
Was it important to you that it didn't look like an E-bike?
I see this in some of the advertising, the idea that it looks like a normal bike, I must admit I just don't get it. I prefer what Giant have done with their very capable road E-bikes, there's no mistaking what it is
oldtimer99

Post by oldtimer99 »

Gain D30
Was it important that it was pretty?
Well yes, but that was not the only deciding factor.
Weighs in at around only 13kg and that means it's easily lifted on to the back of my van, and also that I can ride it with motor off....which I do over 50% of the time .... and still make good speeds.
Oh and I can get up those pesky hills despite 2 knee operations and a shoulder operation, and the ravages of old father time.
Oh...and the joy of overtaking my son ....proper cyclist and 35 yrs younger....while uphilling!
PH

Post by PH »

oldtimer99 wrote: 4 Sep 2021, 6:47pm Gain D30
Thanks, though I'm sure you realise that wasn't the question :wink:
I get all your other points, particularly it riding well without the assistance, though that wasn't high on the list for my usage.
If looking like a non assisted bike is a consequence of the other requirements, I have no opinion one way or another, but it does seem for many to be high on the list of priorities, and form part of some advertising. It just seems delusional and IMO it does E-bikes no favours, almost as if the motor was something that ought to be hidden.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

PH wrote: 4 Sep 2021, 7:48pm
oldtimer99 wrote: 4 Sep 2021, 6:47pm Gain D30
Thanks, though I'm sure you realise that wasn't the question :wink:
I get all your other points, particularly it riding well without the assistance, though that wasn't high on the list for my usage.
If looking like a non assisted bike is a consequence of the other requirements, I have no opinion one way or another, but it does seem for many to be high on the list of priorities, and form part of some advertising. It just seems delusional and IMO it does E-bikes no favours, almost as if the motor was something that ought to be hidden.
Or some people just don’t like the aesthetics of most ebikes but like the look of other bikes. Nothing to do with hiding anything.
John
PH

Post by PH »

Oldjohnw wrote: 4 Sep 2021, 10:37pm Or some people just don’t like the aesthetics of most ebikes but like the look of other bikes. Nothing to do with hiding anything.
Road CC calls them "Stealth E-Bikes"
Electric road bikes are booming, and none more so than these 'stealth' models whose designers have tucked the battery and motor inside the frame so that they don't look like electric bikes, but like regular road and gravel bikes.
https://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/18 ... kes-272607

You don't have to share my dislike of such stealth, but you're wrong to deny that's what it is.
Really the question is, would they be better bikes if you took away the requirement to conceal the workings? I suspect the answer is probably yes, for a start a crank drive built into the frame is more efficient but less discrete than a hub drive.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

PH wrote: 4 Sep 2021, 10:56pm
Oldjohnw wrote: 4 Sep 2021, 10:37pm Or some people just don’t like the aesthetics of most ebikes but like the look of other bikes. Nothing to do with hiding anything.
Road CC calls them "Stealth E-Bikes"
Electric road bikes are booming, and none more so than these 'stealth' models whose designers have tucked the battery and motor inside the frame so that they don't look like electric bikes, but like regular road and gravel bikes.
https://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/18 ... kes-272607

You don't have to share my dislike of such stealth, but you're wrong to deny that's what it is.
Really the question is, would they be better bikes if you took away the requirement to conceal the workings? I suspect the answer is probably yes, for a start a crank drive built into the frame is more efficient but less discrete than a hub drive.
I don’t deny it. It just isn’t everyone’s approach. I don’t care who knowsI have an ebike, but stealth is not part of my thinking. Plus I have a great hulking battery on the rear rack. I doubt I am alone.

But I agree the great selling point for many is how discrete they are - Ribble, Bianchi etc.
John
PH

Post by PH »

Oldjohnw wrote: 4 Sep 2021, 10:37pm Nothing to do with hiding anything.
Oldjohnw wrote: 4 Sep 2021, 11:22pm great selling point for many is how discrete they are
:?: :?: :?: :lol:
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

PH wrote: 5 Sep 2021, 6:17am
Oldjohnw wrote: 4 Sep 2021, 10:37pm Nothing to do with hiding anything.
Oldjohnw wrote: 4 Sep 2021, 11:22pm great selling point for many is how discrete they are
:?: :?: :?: :lol:
Oh dear.

For some they want to hide the fact so they favour certain bikes. For others, like myself, I don’t have any wish or need to hide it but I happen to like the look of my ordinary bike and at the price all the bikes I saw were, in my eyes, ugly. I don’t know what is so hard here but clearly I am not very good at making my point so I should quit while I am behind.
John
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

To me, as a Mercian owner, the Bianchi and the Orbea Gain look pretty horrid too.. the forks ugh, the horrid downtubes, the squat looks. I also own this and I think its Germanic looks are a bit brutal but practical.
Ortler Bozen Performance
Ortler Bozen Performance
With awful Porsches despoiling the roads I conclude that in Germanic design practical things sometimes trump aesthetics.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

The simple fact is that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And we all both see things our own way and have our own reasons.
John
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Why so ugly? That BFO battery & motor have to go somewhere - and most pandemic-spawned first-time cyclists don't give a monkey's, having no previous cycling culture.

I've reached the level of decrepitude where I'm obliged to cast an eye on electric road bikes. What piddles me off is that most of the makers seem to think they can casually usurp bottle-space and still be acceptable. Not for me, until Elite, Zefal et al can produce a bottle that can accommodate sports-drink and plain water and keep them separate.

BTW, the prices are pretty ugly too, if you want something presentable.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The ugliness (to me at least) is the lack of colour and bling.
They look something like the army would use.

I can cope with the geometry I suppose, but black, grey, matt, brown, dark ............ I cannot cope with.
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Audax67 wrote: 5 Sep 2021, 10:17am Why so ugly? That BFO battery & motor have to go somewhere - and most pandemic-spawned first-time cyclists don't give a monkey's, having no previous cycling culture.

I've reached the level of decrepitude where I'm obliged to cast an eye on electric road bikes. What piddles me off is that most of the makers seem to think they can casually usurp bottle-space and still be acceptable. Not for me, until Elite, Zefal et al can produce a bottle that can accommodate sports-drink and plain water and keep them separate.

BTW, the prices are pretty ugly too, if you want something presentable.
Thats correct. I always ride with at least one pannier for the bottle. It also contains my electric pump and heavy bike lock too. With an ebike weight becomes secondary...until you try to haul its at least 30kg into the back of the car that is!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Viv4

Post by Viv4 »

“Beauty is in the eye of the beholder” so they say. Personally I prefer practical over aesthetics, if you can combine both then fine, if not practical does it for me every time.

I rarely post on this forum but find this post so irritating that I really have to reply particularly as the bike in question could easily be my well loved and reliable steed. My ebike ticks all the boxes, MTB, shopping, leisure cycling, essential appointments, tows the trailer when needed and I doubt very much the e racing bike you are all drooling over will do 10% of that. It is also a regular ebike and legal for use in the UK. I note that my local ebike shop is now advertising several versions of this. If you can only afford one bike (they are expensive) then it needs to be a good allrounder.

I’m not quite sure when cyclists became so judgemental or felt it ok to walk up to others and say “you’re cheating” or “what a ugly bike” and I’ve had both happen to me. Would they say the same to someone about their partner, or children? Probably not, so why is it ok to do this to other cyclists, it’s usually from the superior Lycra clad breed who obviously don’t have mirrors at home!

Call yourself cyclists if you like, I prefer the term “person on a bicycle” and the more of us there are the better!
A71615E2-AB34-4077-A728-9512ACDF1706.jpeg