Swytch 700c delivered and fitted

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
David9694

Swytch 700c delivered and fitted

Post by David9694 »

Ordered this back in April.
There’s a lot of thought gone into the product, the presentation and the detail. It’s a nice feeling when the power kicks-in as well.
The package essentially contains the motor wheel, the battery, wiring and its handlebar mount, the magnet ring and sensor that reads whether the pedals are turning. Assistance is slight on power setting 1, and just nice on 3.
My issues were:
The battery has a master on/off switch - the instructions stated you could locate and flick this from outside - I had to undo the battery cover to do these: not sure if it charged while in the off position - charger unit light was red, suggesting yes
I needed to do a fair bit of filing of the dropouts to get the axle in;
I didn’t measure the internal width, but 622-28 is the minimum tyre width I found I could mount. 25s were floppy, even a Schwalbe Marathon;
The valve hole is on the large side - might accept a car type valve;
The instructions for the magnet ring make much of the gap between the L/h crank and the bearing: if you’re running Shimano there is none - but all you’re doing is attaching a double-hinged arm to the inside of the crank - the hinges then allow you to position and angle the ring appropriately to make contact with the sensor; You secure the arm on the crank so the ring traces a decent circle when you turn the cranks
I mounted my sensor on the seat tube because of an oval / oversized alu down tube which would have positioned it too close
For the longer term, while the wheel and battery/mount feel robust, the plastic magnet ring assembly, all held on by cable ties all feels a tad flimsy for my liking.
Out of the box
Out of the box
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
David9694

Re: Swytch 700c delivered and fitted

Post by David9694 »

UPDATE after a couple of rides. This is my wife’s bike BTW.

Although I accept the speed limit at which the motor cuts out, this makes it harder to pedal along on the level - there’s a real ( as in additional) element of drag from the hub when you stop turning the cranks, or top out the motor speed limiter. On the level, the motor is in and out like a dog in a butcher’s doorway. A slight decline compensâtes for the drag effect - the bike is heavier, so it gathers speed more. I’d quite like to have the motor on at low level up to say 18 mph when cruising. There isn’t a rider test I could take to allow this.

It is still a very nice feeling getting a bit of help on those rises. But I’ve got a little bit of car culture here haven’t I - I need the motor because of the additional weight. So my wife need not worry, the test rides are exactly that.

It’s a 10s Shimano set-up with a triple - I wonder about simplifying that.
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
David9694

Post by David9694 »

David9694 wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 11:25pm Ordered this back in April.
There’s a lot of thought gone into the product, the presentation and the detail. It’s a nice feeling when the power kicks-in as well.
The package essentially contains the motor wheel, the battery, wiring and its handlebar mount, the magnet ring and sensor that reads whether the pedals are turning. Assistance is slight on power setting 1, and just nice on 3.
My issues were:
The battery has a master on/off switch - the instructions stated you could locate and flick this from outside - I had to undo the battery cover to do these: not sure if it charged while in the off position - charger unit light was red, suggesting yes
I needed to do a fair bit of filing of the dropouts to get the axle in;
I didn’t measure the internal width, but 622-28 is the minimum tyre width I found I could mount. 25s were floppy, even a Schwalbe Marathon;
The valve hole is on the large side - might accept a car type valve;
The instructions for the magnet ring make much of the gap between the L/h crank and the bearing: if you’re running Shimano there is none - but all you’re doing is attaching a double-hinged arm to the inside of the crank - the hinges then allow you to position and angle the ring appropriately to make contact with the sensor; You secure the arm on the crank so the ring traces a decent circle when you turn the cranks
I mounted my sensor on the seat tube because of an oval / oversized alu down tube which would have positioned it too close
For the longer term, while the wheel and battery/mount feel robust, the plastic magnet ring assembly, all held on by cable ties all feels a tad flimsy for my liking.
EDIT - a niggle at this price point, the wheel wasn’t true. Three pairs of spokes needed half a turn.

B4D32762-CF5C-44E3-ABA0-9589A0A4C683.jpeg
fivebikes

Post by fivebikes »

I’ve been running my Brompton Swytch for a few months now.
Generally quite happy with things once I got the sensor positioned correctly on the Brompton frame. Ended up buying a 3D printed spacer thingy from an eBay seller, which is secure and positions the sensor, as supplied, perfectly.
The Brompton magnet ring secures to the LH crank using a clamp which feels solid.
The Brompton I saw that had a different kit fitted used a crank mounted sensor/transmitter that simply detected rotational movement without the need for an external magnet….some kind of gyroscopic device the owner reckoned.
Still happy with the Swytch though. Best, as you say, on inclines and helps loads going up a steep slope! A necessity with a Brompton in West Yorkshire!