E-BIKES KIT CONVERSIONS

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
stodd

Re: E-BIKES KIT CONVERSIONS

Post by stodd »

Interesting extra information, thank you.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Spent the weekend fitting a Tongsheng TSDZ2 kit to my tandem. I couldn't fit the crossover drive on the left as the axle wasn't long enough. I rebuilt it with the crossover drive on the right. Thank to bikesfor2 for the info. I ordered the identical kit on his advice on this thread. (250 Watt too keep it legal) First ride this afternoon. Very impressed so far. It's a subtle experience. I tried it in the garage after fitting but couldnt get the drive to engage, took it for a ride and it cut in fine. Presumably I couldn't generate suffice torque to test it. It came with an extension cable to power lights front and back but I'm not using this. It's suggested that you can turn lighting on and off from the LCD controller. I've got the vlc6 but cant see how to do this. Anyone know? Delivery from Germany cost an additional £15 but it came within 5 days. Very pleased so far.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
velorog

Post by velorog »

To the best of my knowledge you cannot control the lights from a VLCD6, you need to use a VLCD5. This is something I am currently playing with. The lights do not illuminate when connected up with a VLCD6. The VLCD5 appears to have a light switch function but have still to give it a try. If anyone has had any success with the 6 please let us know.
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

• On the VLCD6 you hold the Assist '-' button for 2secs+ which switches on the VLCD6 display and puts 6v DC nominal to the lighting circuit.
  • You need the 'Y' connector from the speed sensor into which you plug in the supplied lighting cables to do this.
  • However, please be aware that the 6v output is rated at 500mA (half an amp). That gives you just 3 Watts of power.
  • Other kit builders use this voltage to power a relay (solid state or mechanical) and the relay is used to switch a feed from the main battery to more powerful lights (rated to you battery voltage of course)
  • To take a feed from the main battery requires some minor electrical/soldering skills and then there's finding a place for extra gubbins and so on.
  • Given that I have a number of good 'ordinary' lights, I shall use these until either they die or I fancy a fettling session with the soldering iron!
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
rjb

Post by rjb »

Thanks for the info. I haven't interrogated the settings as yet. The tandem ride now on the lowest setting feels as if I have a superdomestique behind me. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D