Newbie needing advice on best bike/s for my health circumstances

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
heyjoe67

Newbie needing advice on best bike/s for my health circumstances

Post by heyjoe67 »

Hi all,

I've yet to experience e-bikes but have ridden a normal bike for many years. Unfortunately in recent times I've developed pretty severe arthritis and have not been able to ride for some time. I am missing not being able to ride and now I've read a bit about e-bikes I'm wondering if there's a possibilty I might find something that will fit in with my needs. At the moment I can't pedal without significant pain, I'm hoping to get this improved eventually, meantime I would ideally like something that needs no pedalling to get me moving until I get more movement in my legs.
I don't drive so unless I use public transport ( which isn't ideal in the current virus situation ) I'm rather limited to how I get about.
Any suggestions to an appropriate bike ( if exists ) welcome.

Thanks.
jb

Re: Newbie needing advice on best bike/s for my health circumstances

Post by jb »

Sounds like you'd be better with a kit as suggested on other threads as no e bike seller in this country (as far as I know) offer a bike that will start without first pedalling. Also the power output of a legal motor isn't sufficient to lug you around on its own for very far.
Last edited by jb on 8 Oct 2021, 10:00am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
J Bro
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Someone may correct me, but if power is provided without pedalling, then that becomes a licenced vehicle, not a cycle I believe.

(Which exist, of course)
stodd

Post by stodd »

A bike is allowed assist without pedalling up to 4mph (or thereabouts). That is partly for walk assist, and partly for startup assist.

With cadence sensing systems you need to pedal to get power, but don't need to apply any pressure in your pedalling. For some medical conditions that can be really helpful. For those that can do 'real' pedalling for a bit but are liable to become unable to quite suddenly it can make the last critical miles home possible. You know if that might be your situation, or if any pedalling is just too painful.

As mentioned above, if you rely on the motor for everything you will get very limited range on an ebike.
hemo

Post by hemo »

Wisper bikes in 7 oaks, kent sell legal ebikes that can use throttle/twist and go, so one doesn't have to pedal if unable to or get very tired.
They arrange for the bike to be tested at a MSVA centre and then it is issued with a legal certificate of conformity to be used as a pedelec on roads, the bikes use a 250w rated motor and are still 25km/h limited.
It is issued under the 250w lpm category, Wisper charge about £195 on top of a bike price for the service. No tax, no number plate, no road insurance or motorcycle helmet are needed. Only bikes tested and that conform/meet the MSVA regulations are allowed to be used as such.
Speak to your local Wisper agent/dealer or contact Wisper direct in Kent and opt for the 700wh battery option.
Last edited by hemo on 9 Oct 2021, 11:49am, edited 1 time in total.
hemo

Post by hemo »

As regards to Wisper I have no link or interest in the company as an individual, the info I offer is to correct the mis concept and missinformation often spouted out on forums and social media concerning that twist and go pedelecs are not allowed.
DVLA do allow such bikes which fall in to a 250wlpm sub category of 250w pedelecs classified as Low Powered Mopeds, these do away with all licensing requirements bar that the bike is tested initially at a testing station to meet the requirements.
One of course doesn't have to rely on Wisper to do the work any one with a bike that complies can take it to a testing station ( approx. 6 in the UK) and pay the £55 fee or as I mentioned Wisper will do this for you at a fee.
They use to take the bikes to a Southampton testing station now I believe they have found one nearer to home who now can conduct the test and necessary paper work.

Any bike that does not conform to 25km/h limit or motor power limit of max 250w rated falls outside of the requirements and then need registering as a full moped with all the legalities required as a moped/motorcycle.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

OP I'm sorry I spouted a widespread misconception.
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

I've just noticed this thread.
If you suffer Arthritis, you likely have painful thumb joints.
The E bike manufacturers have entirely mssed the fact that a lot of older cyclists will be buying E bikes, but only have the option of thumb shifters.
I am in the process of trying to convert my e bike from ordinary straight bars with 10 speed thumb shifters to butterfly bars with twist grip changers.
You used to be able to get sram grip shift 8 speed changers for less than £30, but currently, prices of over £100 are quoted for 10 speed twist grip changers.
I cannot stress the problems of thumb arthritis enough. Those suffering will find it increasingly painful changing gear and it's high time the makers addressed this with appropriate options.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I recommend contacting Wheels for Wellbeing https://wheelsforwellbeing.org.uk/getti ... wn-wheels/

They have a variety of pedal cycles, e-bikes, etc. to try and advice on cycles & kits for them.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
stodd

Post by stodd »

arnsider wrote: 19 Nov 2021, 10:18am I've just noticed this thread.
If you suffer Arthritis, you likely have painful thumb joints.
The E bike manufacturers have entirely mssed the fact that a lot of older cyclists will be buying E bikes, but only have the option of thumb shifters.
I am in the process of trying to convert my e bike from ordinary straight bars with 10 speed thumb shifters to butterfly bars with twist grip changers.
You used to be able to get sram grip shift 8 speed changers for less than £30, but currently, prices of over £100 are quoted for 10 speed twist grip changers.
I cannot stress the problems of thumb arthritis enough. Those suffering will find it increasingly painful changing gear and it's high time the makers addressed this with appropriate options.
I agree. I don't suffer from thumb arthritis, but cut the opposer muscle on my right thumb when I was little and this raises similar difficulties.

I found the earliest thumb shifters almost impossible; I had to put my whole hand under the handlebar to turn them. The newer trigger shifters only need quite light pressure and are not nearly as bad; and I guess not too bad for arthritis sufferers as well. I can manage even the basic Shimano ones that came with our Viking tandem. But certainly twist shifters (if not too stiff) are much easier. The difference in price between basic 8 speed (£12 new on ebay) and cheapest 10 speed (£110) does seem absurd.
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

Some useful info in the discussion here, but the OP hasn't logged in since posting their question over 6 weeks ago. When a newly-joined member starts a new thread with a question, a lot of wasted time could be avoided by verifying they're reading the responses via a follow-up question. In this case, the appropriate follow-up question is obvious: "which part of your body is affected by arthritis?" No answer? - ignore and move on.