How much is my Dads Bike worth

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Steve X

How much is my Dads Bike worth

Post by Steve X »

My Dad bought a Raleigh Centros 46 in 2019 and it cost £2625. He has not got on with it and its only done 100 miles and is as new. He has now got a Jussy which he loves, so he is sorted. He has given me the Centros, but I do not like E bikes so am going to sell it.
Can anyone give me an idea what its worth and where to sell it please?
stodd

Re: How much is my Dads Bike worth

Post by stodd »

You could try https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/classifieds/
Other parts of that forum will give advice on value. One problem selling 2nd hand ebike is the buyer will never be sure of the battery condition and will assume the worst. Should be OK, but if for example it's been left undercharged over a long period (as often happens to very low mileage bikes) it could have degraded quite a lot. On the other hand, it is difficult to get such bikes new so 2nd prices are holding up well.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

One sold for £1600 on EBay. Very poorly presented with no pics or description so probably could be bettered.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Steve X

Post by Steve X »

Thank you for the replies.
Tried to register with and it will not accept my answer to "What is another term for an electric bike?" which was EBike, just keeps say enter in requested format, but does not say what format.

£1600, crikey, my Dad was going to sell it for £500. Obviously any money I get for it I will put on Razzle Dazzle in the 4.30 at Kempton Park, seriously though, I will give my Dad.
hemo

Post by hemo »

As the site is pedelecs uk forum then the proper name for an ebike is a pedelec. A pedelec is a legal 250w/25kmh assisted electric push bike, an ebike is a name given to any other bike that isn't legal.
hemo

Post by hemo »

Value will be 35% of the price paid (for a 2 y/o bike) then minus the cost of a replacement battery. One can never tell how long the battery will last for after 2 years as the the history of it's maintenance will be non traceable, if a bosh bike battery then a dealer with the equipment can carry out battery diagnostics with a print out.
Steve X

Post by Steve X »

hemo wrote: 11 Oct 2021, 7:51pm As the site is pedelecs uk forum then the proper name for an ebike is a pedelec. A pedelec is a legal 250w/25kmh assisted electric push bike, an ebike is a name given to any other bike that isn't legal.
DOH :roll: , thanks, registered now.
Steve X

Post by Steve X »

hemo wrote: 11 Oct 2021, 7:57pm Value will be 35% of the price paid (for a 2 y/o bike) then minus the cost of a replacement battery. One can never tell how long the battery will last for after 2 years as the the history of it's maintenance will be non traceable, if a bosh bike battery then a dealer with the equipment can carry out battery diagnostics with a print out.
So bottom end £1200. I will see about getting the Battery diagnosed, as a printout could be a worthwhile selling aid. Any idea what I should pay for such a print out?
hemo

Post by hemo »

If it is a bosh battery then afaik up to 50/60 quid, if a print out say's is still has > 90 - 95% capacity then it is a stronger selling point. With a generic non CANbus battery one can't give any diagnostics so it is far more of a gamble.
The valuation is just a guideline and in the current market values are likely to be a bit higher. A savvy buyer who knows about pedelecs with go low, a newbie to the scene will not have much of an idea.
stodd

Post by stodd »

hemo wrote: 11 Oct 2021, 7:57pm Value will be 35% of the price paid (for a 2 y/o bike) then minus the cost of a replacement battery. One can never tell how long the battery will last for after 2 years as the the history of it's maintenance will be non traceable, if a bosh bike battery then a dealer with the equipment can carry out battery diagnostics with a print out.
Not sure about the 35%, that seems low but sadly bicycles are being considered more and more disposable these days.

I think it would be much fairer to use (price paid - cost of replacement battery) and then take the 35% (or whatever percentage).
Otherwise you are depreciating the battery by 65% and then by another 100%.
jb

Post by jb »

I would have thought the most useful info for a new buyer would be to go on a 30 - 40 mile ride on medium setting and a flattish terrain then say how it performed. There's no guarantee you haven't faked it but most people are honest and if the description of the ride is convincingly realistic it allows the buyer to asses its usefulness for their purposes.
For instance I recently took my partners Raleigh Leeds with a replaced battery out for a spin and did 24 miles and 2700ft climbing (and have the Strava map with photo to prove it) and it came back just over half empty, so at 8 yrs old it would still give plenty of value to a prospective buyer.
Cheers
J Bro
hemo

Post by hemo »

The ultimate test ride for a battery is to find a decent hill and power up it in turbo mode, high current under load will soon see if it falls short.
saudidave

Post by saudidave »

I've been tracking second hand prices of Raleigh Centros as I'm in the market for one myself.

First of all the price of 35% of new that has been quoted is ridiculous! I have no idea where they got that one from but they are going for £1,900.00-£2,000.00 if as new and with that kind of mileage. Slightly more for the hub geared version with a Gates belt drive.. Put it another way, 35% of £2625.00 is £919.00 and a new battery is £600.00, so according to Hemo it's worth £319.00. He hasn't got a scooby doo I'm afraid, There's one on ebay now for £1949.00

As for battery life there's a another right load of codswallop being quoted. A 2 year old bike with 100 miles on it is unlikely to have suffered any degradation of the battery life at all, regardless of how it has been stored. The are good for thousands of charges! My bike has done 3500 miles, (50 charges), is three years old and the range is almost as good as when it was new.

Stick it on ebay for £1,950.00 and it will sell. You can't get hold of them new for love nor money

Dave
hemo

Post by hemo »

I incorrectly wrote my text, the 35% is a depreciation value of the bike for the age.
As for the battery one can't guarantee their status unless possibly a bosh type with a pc readout.
And yes some bikes are at a premium at the mo, only a fool would take the word of a seller regarding the battery.
Bonzo Banana

Post by Bonzo Banana »

Do some great photos, explain the situation of why you are selling and use the best of Raleigh's selling points in your ad on ebay and start at about 10% over the best completed auction price as a buy it now with a best offer option. Always worth trying a high price before you start reducing it. It's free to list on ebay.

Best of luck with your sale.