E-bike for a lifelong CTC member

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
L7523

E-bike for a lifelong CTC member

Post by L7523 »

I am not yet ready to hang up my wheels My machines are classics (Jack Taylor and George Longstaff) with drop handlebars, mudguards, rear carrier etc. The time has come for the e-bike but lifelong cyclists are not the target of the ready made market.
I looked at 'Bespoked 2021' exhibitors information but was unable to find anyone making bespoked e-bikes. Has anyone the answer to my dilemma?
emleyman

Re: E-bike for a lifelong CTC member

Post by emleyman »

Why not add a conversion to one of your existing bikes? If you go for a rear cassette hub and downtube battery you can keep all your existing drivetrain. The only issue may be that you'll need 135mm rear hub spacing to fit the motor hub.
stodd

Post by stodd »

Cytronex do conversion kits suitable for lightweight road bikes. They are quite expensive, not as powerful as many and with fairly small capacity batteries but may suit what you need. They are front wheel conversions.
https://www.cytronex.com/
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

A friend of mine in a similar situation has added an electric motor to one of his "classics". (His collection is a mix of 1950's to early 1980's, he used one of the newer and least collectable). He fitted a bottom bracket motor, which is torque sensing, a battery and a speed control module. Has transformed his riding, he is again able to get up hills. The bike doesn't feel much different to how it did before; with the electric turned off its a little heavier, with the electric on a low setting the legs feel stronger. Looking at the bike, yes if looking at the bottom bracket, the motor to the front of it is visible (but not excessively so), but elsewhere the bike just looks normal. The battery can be either on bottle bosses, or on a rear rack.

A similar conversion could be an option, either DIY, or getting a friendly bike mechanic to do the job for a fee. Once the parts were found, the work is no more complex than a bottom bracket change.

- Nigel
emleyman

Post by emleyman »

You've had 3 replies and been suggested the 3 different options! I think what you should take from this is that you should do a little research of what would suit you best. Most people will be biased by whatever they have.
if you let us know where you are, members may be able to offer you test rides.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

L7523 wrote: 15 Oct 2021, 3:43pm I am not yet ready to hang up my wheels My machines are classics (Jack Taylor and George Longstaff) with drop handlebars, mudguards, rear carrier etc. The time has come for the e-bike but lifelong cyclists are not the target of the ready made market.
I looked at 'Bespoked 2021' exhibitors information but was unable to find anyone making bespoked e-bikes. Has anyone the answer to my dilemma?
I have a bespoke bike from these people, and they do ebikes, though I'm not sure if they do a full bespoke ebike option.

Might be worth giving them a ring, but expect a very long lead time and ££££ for anything bespoke.

https://www.bicycles-by-design.co.uk/gallery/
richtea99

Post by richtea99 »

L7523 wrote: 15 Oct 2021, 3:43pm I am not yet ready to hang up my wheels My machines are classics (Jack Taylor and George Longstaff) with drop handlebars, mudguards, rear carrier etc.
I went from a bespoke 20+ year-old Campag-laden Mercian tourer to a low-end Orbea Gain ebike. The Orbea Gain is marketed as a road/race bike but the lower spec alloy ones are more like a tourer - a fairly traditional frame design with a near-flat top tube, audax-like dimensions/angles (i.e. similar to my Mercian audax/tourer), and eyelets for mudguards and racks.

I fitted mudguards, an old-school Blackburn rear rack, Brooks saddle and pedals with toe clips. All very 1990s, but practical stuff and, as a bonus, makes it feel closer to my Mercian.

Pros compared to a bespoke Mercian:
- the assistance, obviously. Up the hills is fab of course, if they're not more than about 1-in-7 - then you have to put a fair bit of effort in, but still less than unassisted.
- disc brakes are way better than rim brakes, even my basic cable-operated disc brakes. (Hydraulic ones are even better.)
- modern bkes are really quite well made, even though they're not bespoke. Components tend to be close to top-end stuff from 20 years ago.

Cons compared to a bespoke Mercian:
- the extra weight (maybe 3-4Kgs extra), but on the flat it's not much difference once you've set off
- Campag gears are smoother changing than Shimano Claris, but with the price differential, it's to be expected. I also prefer the Campag thumb lever for changing down, but I've got used to the Shimano design.
- wheels aren't as good as Mercians. I replaced the Orbea wheels, but you need a decent wheel builder to do the rear wheel since it contains the hub motor = extra weight.
- a slightly stiffer ride from the carbon forks, but I fitted a suspension seat post to compensate
- you need to adjust the the disc pads more often than you would rim brakes. Not sure if that's universally true, or just Orbea/Shimano discs. However, it's easy to do.

In hindsight, now I've used my 'cheap' Orbea for more than a year I'm half tempted to swap the Claris groupset out for a Campag disc-based groupset but that's about £800-1000. Maybe in another year!

Note that they have improved the frame and fittings since my late 2019 model - it now has cables running inside the frame and built-in lights. Lights are a great addition, but I'm not quite so sure about the ease of maintaining internal-routed cabling.

As a measure of how much I like it, I've not used my Mercian since. The one option I did explore was fitting a crank-based motor to the Mercian, but it has the gear cables routed very tidily under the bottom bracket (which I'd have to file off to fit the motor - heresy!), so that was enough to put me off.
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

I've has a Cytronex conversion on my "shopping" bike for a number of years. Very good for short local rides but the range just isn't good enough so when I go on a local CTC ride I prefer my lighter unassisted road bikes. I can always walk up the hills. When I need an ebike I shall go for a lighter one with a longer range and a detachable battery for charging.
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

Take a look at the Cannondale Synapse Neo range (Gravel bikes fitted with 47 C tyres ) Mrs F has one in the extra small size and is delighted with it.
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

My own experiences with ebikes are
  • from riding my wife's Pendleton Somerby (rear hub, rear rack battery). The stock controller was rubbish but after swapping out that for a 'torque simulation' controller, the ride experience was fine
  • Like others, I had little enthusism for moving away from my existing bikes (for which it took me time and money to get the ride right for me) to something new/strange that may not ultimately suit. Roll up the tongsheng TSDZ2 mid drive kit that is installed on my Dawes Galaxy tourer..
  • The kit cost me £352 all in via the PSW Power website's German warehouse and for this i got the simplest handlebar display and a 10Ahr bottle battery that gives me good range (50 miles on level-ish terrain and 30-35 miles around some of the sharp and 'decent' hills in the south downs).
  • Friends have tried and loved the conversion and the 'torque sensing' method of power delivery gives a more natural feel to your powered cycling than say the Bafang mid drive kit.
  • Seeing as I'm now the local 'expert' (hah) I'm fitting my 4th kit this week-end.
PS - The lead time from Germany has been 5-8 days depending when you order in respect of the week-end. The price fluctuates a little as kits are sold in USD, and bigger batteries and displays cost more.

If you live anywhere near Portsmouth and would like a test ride, drop me a PM
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

I rode a Thorn Nomad for twenty years prior to buying a Whyte Hybrid E Bike. Despite issues, I am generally happy with my Whyte.
Three pals have Orbea Gain E bikes and all three like them.
They are very well made and look good. They are also much lighter than the standard roadster type E bike.
Anecdotal evidence suggest the Orbea is fast becoming a classic in its own right.
Some other pals ride converted sports bikes with front hub motors and they are equally impressed.
I have even thought of converting the Nomad with a front hub.
It's a win win situation presently with E bikes. The only problen being availability!
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

L7523 wrote: 15 Oct 2021, 3:43pm I am not yet ready to hang up my wheels My machines are classics (Jack Taylor and George Longstaff) with drop handlebars, mudguards, rear carrier etc. The time has come for the e-bike but lifelong cyclists are not the target of the ready made market.
What do you want an e-bike to do?

It think that will affect the decision you make as much as anything.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

arnsider wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 8:58amThree pals have Orbea Gain E bikes and all three like them.
They are very well made and look good. They are also much lighter than the standard roadster type E bike.
Anecdotal evidence suggest the Orbea is fast becoming a classic in its own right.
A family member has a D20. Lovely machine. And I suspect that a lot of people aren't aware of this general type of eBike.

Jonathan

stodd

Post by stodd »

Jdsk wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 9:55am And I suspect that a lot of people aren't aware of this general type of eBike.
I think that is true. Partly because even though a good match for many experienced CTC (should I say Cycling UK?) members who now need a little assistance, such bikes are always going to be a small part of the overall ebike market. But there certainly may be some for whom such a bike is suitable, but as they don't see them around are not even aware of the possibility.

One bike similar to the cheaper Orbea's that hasn't been mentioned is https://www.halfords.com/bikes/electric ... 33934.html. I'm not have no experience with either it or the Orbea's.
peterb

Post by peterb »

I've been riding drop bar road bikes for over 60 years (my first 'proper' bike was a Campag equipped Gerrard I built up in the early '60s). In recent years due to leg muscle issues I have had to embrace e-assistance, and bought one of the first alloy Orbea Gains. It has given assistance when required - just enough - no free lunch. It's enabled me to continue riding with the club 'steady' rides. Since I bought my Gain carbon framed versions have been introduced by a number of manufacturers using the same Mahle X35 system, down tube battery, motor in the rear hub. I'm now seriously looking to upgrade to a carbon framed Ribble SLe., and Scott make a very pretty version, as do Willier - somewhat more expensive! The carbon framed versions all weigh around 11 - 12 Kg, depending on equipment. Try one if you can!