E-bike for a lifelong CTC member

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Jdsk

Re: E-bike for a lifelong CTC member

Post by Jdsk »

stodd wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 11:06am
Jdsk wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 9:55am And I suspect that a lot of people aren't aware of this general type of eBike.
I think that is true. Partly because even though a good match for many experienced CTC (should I say Cycling UK?) members who now need a little assistance, such bikes are always going to be a small part of the overall ebike market. But there certainly may be some for whom such a bike is suitable, but as they don't see them around are not even aware of the possibility.
Would a catchy name for this category help?

Jonathan
peterb

Post by peterb »

I thought they were generally called 'e-road' bikes.
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

L7523 wrote: 15 Oct 2021, 3:43pm I am not yet ready to hang up my wheels My machines are classics (Jack Taylor and George Longstaff) with drop handlebars, mudguards, rear carrier etc. The time has come for the e-bike but lifelong cyclists are not the target of the ready made market.
I looked at 'Bespoked 2021' exhibitors information but was unable to find anyone making bespoked e-bikes. Has anyone the answer to my dilemma?
Genuine question but how should an e-bike for "a lifelong CTC member" be any different? You're sort of implying that you want (or need?) a custom e-bike without stating what you want it for which, given the range of e-bikes from reasonably lightweight e-road bikes through gravel, MTB, commuter, cargo, folding, special needs (ie adapted cycles) etc, makes it almost impossible to answer your question.

Custom e-bikes are rare (not impossible but very very rare) because the bike is usually built around a motor and drive system first and everything else second. It gets more complicated when proprietary systems are used and you're constraining a lot of the customisation possible on a normal bike by designing it around the motor. Frankly, you'd be far better off just buying something off the peg.

If you're after some way of turning your existing classic bikes into e-, you're probably after some sort of bolt on system like this: https://www.swytchbike.com/
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I wondered if "a lifelong CTC member" was a special species with unique needs as I thought they were endangered.
Forum user for 37 minutes so I guess we’ll never find out. :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Rosiesmate

Post by Rosiesmate »

Being 13 stone plus, I could not keep up with my cycling friend of 10 stone and 5 years my junior. (I'm now 75.)
Four years ago I invested in an Giant e+ road, with 500Wh battery. Whilst it is much heavier than my "normal" road bike, I can now happily keep up with him and many others. Hilly 80 mile sportives are a doddle and I love the steepest hills. The extra weight is an added bonus when descending. My younger friend has already ordered an ebike! My ebike has renewed the pleasure of my earlier cycling days, I can cycle on consecutive days and seldom feel shattered at the end of each ride.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Hilly 80 mile sportives are a doddle
Do you use the motor continuously or switch off when on the flat and downhill stretches?
stodd

Post by stodd »

Grandad wrote: 4 Feb 2022, 10:37am
Do you use the motor continuously or switch off when on the flat and downhill stretches?
Probably won't make that much difference if the rider is fit enough that speed on the flat is over 16mph, the motor won't be running anyway unless there are lots of stop/starts.
nez

Post by nez »

stodd wrote: 4 Feb 2022, 11:02am
Grandad wrote: 4 Feb 2022, 10:37am
Probably won't make that much difference if the rider is fit enough that speed on the flat is over 16mph, the motor won't be running anyway unless there are lots of stop/starts.
This is exactly how I use mine. I leave it switched on but at 25kph my legs are providing all the power. When I reach a hill it kicks in and provides about 20% of the drive, which is exactly what an older or less fit rider’s legs and lungs need. It’s a fab way of keeping people cycling. Ridden like this my bike will cover 100 kilometres - but I’m in Essex. I expect fewer kilometres would be achieved in Derbyshire or Yorkshire.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Before getting the Orbea Gain I used the car to get over 2 hills between home and the flatter area 2 miles away. My overall average speed
for a 30-40 mile ride was around 10 mph.

I now ride out from home but once over the hills switch the motor off. Without it I still maintain the 10 mph average.
cjay99

Post by cjay99 »

Just picked up on this thread after it was posted in the Cycle. I'm also 76 and decided to future proof road riding by purchasing an Orbea Gain 40 but I gather that Ribble manufacture a similar model. What a great way forward, by using the free App, I tuned the motor down to 30%, 50% and 100% (factory setting is 50%, 75% and 100%) and last year did 5 100 milers with motor on all the time and got back with between 30 and 40% battery left. You still have to work to try and keep over 15.5mph (when the motor cuts out) where possible to achieve the range but using the Eco set to 30% most of the time, the 100 mile range is readily achievable.
I note that some turn the motor off when not on hills and I do the same in company. However, tuning the motor give a higher average speed if left on all the time. The beauty of this type of E-bike is that at the end of the day it is still just a slightly heavier road bike and even if the battery did run out, getting home is not a problem.