Easifit bike kit, videos on fitting and problems

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
scrimper

Easifit bike kit, videos on fitting and problems

Post by scrimper »

I recently purchased an Easifit bike kit and made a set of five videos covering the installation of the kit in detail together with a review of the kit and the riding of it.

However after my wife had ridden the bike for around 90 miles a problem occurred which could have resulted in injury which you can hear all about in video No five titled Conclusions.

Since I posted my updated conclusions video on YouTube I have heard from two others who have had exactly the same issue with this kit.

I would urge anyone who has bought this kit (700c x 28 wheel) to check their rim to make sure it is not undersized as ours was, if the tyre should 'blow' at speed it could result in serious injuries.

My first four videos cover the buying and fitting of the kit and part five covers my conclusions on the kit and it's use, after the problem arose I removed the video and updated it to reflect the issue.
Here is the link to my playlist of the five videos.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXZ9 ... TNo1c5frf_
Attachments
Super galaxy part 5 titleupdated.jpg
Jdsk

Re: Easifit bike kit, videos on fitting and problems

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks for sharing this.

Have you had a response from the seller or manufacturer, please?

Jonathan
scrimper

Post by scrimper »

Jonathan.
The answer to your question is in the second part of video No five.

But the short answer is that the seller contacted his supplier who suggested that I was fitting the tyre incorrectly, I was so enraged by the response as I have been fitting cycle tyres for over 50 years that I made and sent to the seller a 17 minute 'angry' video showing just what the problem was and how dangerous the undersized rim could be.

I then suggested to the seller that I would fit my own new rim if they would pay for the cost of the rim and the new tyre and tube, which they were happy to accept.
Ours was a 700c x 28 and the issue may only effect that particular size.

I have no issues with Easi-fit who sold the kit and they credited the cost as promised but I am concerned that there may be others out there riding undersized 700c 28 wheels with this kit totally unaware that the rim may be undersized.

In fairness we may have just been unlucky to have the one duff rim but since my video went live on YouTube two others have commented that they have the same issue. (not necessarily from Easi-kit but the same actual kit)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks

Jonathan
peterb

Post by peterb »

Excellent videos. Thanks - very informative.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

[Excellent videos. Thanks - very informative./quote]
+1

A thought if not using a smartphone to control the settings. The buttons are quite small - might wearing thick gloves be a problem?
scrimper

Post by scrimper »

A thought if not using a smartphone to control the settings. The buttons are quite small - might wearing thick gloves be a problem?
My wife has no problem using the buttons with gloves on, they are slightly raised and very responsive, in any case you don't need to use them that often once set to a sensible assistance level.
I would have thought it would be more fiddly with the phone.

We do have the phone set up with the app as a back up but my wife never uses the phone, it's handy to have in the unlikely event that the controller fails. it's also useful to give a more accurate battery level indicator. You can use either but not as the same time.

Funnily enough, as the controller and phone uses bluetooth connection I could if I wished have the controller or phone on my bike and 'allow' power for the motorised bike as I wished!
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

• I enjoyed watching all of those videos Scrimper - well done on their production and all are informative.
  • The kit as a whole looks very neat - what battery capacity is the bottle battery - 5Ah or 7Ah?
  • Your blown inner tube on first inflation - I'd guess the inner tube got piched between tyre and rim when inflating especially as you later discovered how 'slack' the tyres were on the originally supplied rim.
  • Talking of which, did you get the chance to determine which dimension on the original rim differed from the new one fitted by your friend?
  • Given that your friend used the same spokes in the rebuild, then the ERD (Effective Rim Diameter) of both rims would have been similar which leaves the rim profile dimensions maybe being the culprit?
  • Finally, the TSDZ2 mid drive kit doesn't require brake sensors (if you don't fit the throttle or fiddle with the 'as supplied' firmware) and has its own internal PAS but whilst I think it's possible, I think you might end up with a single 42T/44T/46T chainring - but I'm not entirely sure on that front?
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

scrimper wrote: 2 Nov 2021, 10:51am

Funnily enough, as the controller and phone uses bluetooth connection I could if I wished have the controller or phone on my bike and 'allow' power for the motorised bike as I wished!
That sounds a good idea if you're dropping behind on the hills. :D :D
Very useful video's by the way
scrimper

Post by scrimper »

Your blown inner tube on first inflation - I'd guess the inner tube got piched between tyre and rim when inflating especially as you later discovered how 'slack' the tyres were on the originally supplied rim.
Generally speaking a trapped inner tube normally results in a pinch puncture not a tyre blow out. Also this happened on two different tyres within a very short time even if I did trap the tube it's most unlikely that I would do this twice in succession and I have fitted 100's of tyres without issues.

Even the manufacturers of this rim (China) have admitted that the rim is smaller in diameter than other makers 700c rims but state that it is safe providing you only pump up to a max of 40psi which of course is way below the accepted pressure of a 28c HP tyre which is between 65psi and 95psi depending on the tyre and weight of the rider.

In any case the Kenda tyre supplied with the kit actually states on the side-wall Min 50psi max 85psi. On first pumping up the tyre exploded off the rim before even reaching 60psi.

The fact is that the bead seat diameter of the rim supplied is too small for a normal 28c tyre and I would never consider riding any cycle with that rim on.