Post by breakwellmz »

`Lightweight`electric assist bikes-

http://www.electricbike.com/10-light-electric-bikes/
Brucey

Re: electric bike kits

Post by Brucey »

breakwellmz wrote:`Lightweight`electric assist bikes-

http://www.electricbike.com/10-light-electric-bikes/

interesting.... now is it my imagination, or are nearly all these bikes getting on for (or over) double the weight they would be without the 'leccy bits....? :shock:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

[XAP]Bob wrote:the ICE e-kit was awesome on test - not a significant added effort, no added effort when not in use (slight extra weight) and with a 27 speed at the rear it would do very nicely.
That's Sunstar with a single chainring?
27-spd using a Dual Drive or SA equivalent?
Did you take any photos?
Where's your full test review :?: :lol:
"42"
andrewk

Post by andrewk »

I would like to correct some anti ebike comments:
Tyres - Schwalbe and Continental both offer specific ebike tyres which are suitable for the weight and speed of fast ebikes ( 45 kph).
Weight - most factory ebikes are very heavy (my Kalkhoff comes in at 25 kg) but need not be that much heavier than a fully equipped expedition bike. Many European producers offer fully equipped models with large batteries (400 to 540 watt hours) that weigh 19 or 20 kg.
Suitable frames for conversion do exist - basically any tough frame designed to take weight - expedition bike frames, some hardtail mtb etc. Also Germany has a class of bikes called XXL which are designed to carry 170 kg, these should be eminently suitable and no, they're not heavy bikes.

I bought a factory ebike because I don't have the knowledge or skill to make my own despite wishing that I could have gone that route. I would advise interested prospective purchasers to look at European brands, specifically German, Dutch and French factory made ebikes. Unfortunately most British brands are merely stickered Chinese tat sold at a fat margin.

I do still ride real bikes most of the time, the ebike is a useful form of transport but it doesn't give me the same work out or enjoyment that a normal bike does. Having said that ebikes do have their place and I do not regret having got one. In fact I'm considering getting another, a full suspension mtb which would take away the trudge of having to going back up steep and rough trails to enjoy the downhill ride.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

squeaker wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:the ICE e-kit was awesome on test - not a significant added effort, no added effort when not in use (slight extra weight) and with a 27 speed at the rear it would do very nicely.
That's Sunstar with a single chainring?
27-spd using a Dual Drive or SA equivalent?
Did you take any photos?
Where's your full test review :?: :lol:

I tried the test model, but not for long enough to do a full review.
It only had 9 speeds (capreo), but the torque sensor means that it actually helps you pull away. Three modes vary from 'assist' which just makes everywhere downhill to 'kick up the rear'

Very nice, quiet enough that I couldn't tell whether others were using it, powerful, decent range and smooth as silk.
If I dropped the car entirely then I would get one for MrsBob without hesitation.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

At the Cycle Show last week I saw a 250W add on kit for electric assistance which added 3.6kg to any bike. I tried out a Cannondale alloy framed hybrid and it was great. It wasn't difficult to get up to 18mph (at which point the motor power is off) on the short test track and the rain didn't seem to make it skittish. I was impressed and I only used the minimum assistance (till the heavens really opened) and would certainly think of one for my wife.
MarkF

Post by MarkF »

I had an electric bike, for my extremely hilly commute, it was ok.... in that it meant that I could arrive at work not a smelly, sweaty mess. I didn't enjoy riding it though, a much faster than legal one I might have done...........

But as a (still) healthy man, it really didn't make sense for me, so I bought a Suzuki Van Van, I get 120mpg, tax & insurance is less than £100. It's a viable second vehicle and to top it all, it's cheaper to run than the electric bike due to it's rock solid residual value. Some of the kit prices make the Van Van look incredibly cheap.

I will buy an electric bike again but I think it'll be a few years of tech change yet.
willcee

Post by willcee »

way back in '13 i outed an idea to build a ebike , then things changed i didn't get what i really wanted, but now i have been trawling the net nightly and came across Pendix , which isn't great afaik and very little on a good test, now tonight i happened on these guys, very interesting very informative very clear and high torque from their motor with double rings...have a look... cost iro 1700 euros. will
https://www.bikeebike.com/
hemo

Post by hemo »

Another light kit esp good for someone who wants a bit of help on touring bike or racing bike is the GBoost direct drive from France. Its a simple Friction drive that attaches behind the BB and drives against the rear wheel, though not overly cheap at about 900euros it is small and quite unobtrusive.
Cheaper in a similar set up is one from Eazybike.net currently vey cheap on a crowd funding offer.
willcee

my electric bike kit

Post by willcee »

Brucey et al, this thread was started by me 5 years ago, discussing building a kit onto a machine, with lightness and strength in consideration. Since then my research pulled me down several avenues, not helped by N Irelands draconian legislation or lack of adoption of Uk position, so I decided to electrify my Merckx alloy winter trainer, built originally as that ,it was based on a frame i bought from Planet X a hybrid so has big tubes and a strong chassis takes full guards and 700. 28's and i run or did 10sp 105.. since about 3 weeks ago it now sports a Bafang motor still with sti's, no need for double clanger, nor could it be fitted, as the torque takes it easily, again research led me to pull the 105 10 sp stuff off and fit 8 sp with a steel cassette 8 sp chain as this yoke chews chains and sprockets.. while i wait on my battery being built in London as i write, thought i would show it to anyone interested, comments welcome, advice as well..weighed less the batt approx 34lbs.. will
Attachments
april 2018 005 (Small).JPG
april 2018 004 (Small).JPG
april 2018 002 (Small).JPG
april 2018 001 (Small).JPG
willcee

Post by willcee »

More pics , will
Attachments
APRIL 2018 002 (Small).JPG
APRIL 2018 001 (Small).JPG
edocaster

Post by edocaster »

Looks good. Where is the battery going?
willcee

Post by willcee »

Down tube .. should be with me this incoming week..couldn't source a suitable empty canister Ebike type so will source my own..also ordered a 42 lekkie ring for a better chainline, and easier pedalling if batt runs out of poke, that said i tried it for a few hundred yards just on wed past after it was weighed and to be honest i didn't notice much difference, which i found hard to get my head around.. will
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Just seen this thread, resurrected! Converted two Thorns a while ago, and we've been very happy with them. Then moved onto two full suss mtbs conversions for a bit more comfort! Horses for courses, as they say, loads of discussions re pros and cons of ebikes/kits etc. Everyone's entitled to their opinions, but, I'm sure that they are going to be the way into cycling for a great number of people.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
willcee

Post by willcee »

Appreciate the comments and praise , yes i agree there are diehards out there, up to 2013 i had never tried an Ebike, read a bit about them and while doing some jobs for a local LBS was offered a run on a couple, in fact helped unpack a mid motor Cube and after setting it up the shop owner and myself had a 1/2 mile on it.. He had just returned from Germany where the E revolution had a firm hold even 5 years ago.. both of us were genuinely impressed at its hillclimbing abilities and this was a 250 watt with a half charged battery.. No i will still pedal as long as i 'm able even with challenging hip arthritus, my reasons are mainly to get me back on song after my ops all being well and to keep me on the bike until the ops happen.. 250W.+++. will