Membership rates

Summer 2020 - Cycle Magazine announcement about membership changes
PH

Re: Membership rates

Post by PH »

johncarnie wrote:Well, my copy of Cycle came, Page 14 "A vote for Change" announced the AGM voted and approved the change, but surprise, surprise no mention that only 2.91% of the membership actually voted for the "Change".

I always find it disappointing that so few members vote, I don't know how this compares with other membership organisations of a similar size. We have no way of knowing why more members didn't vote, it could range from complete satisfaction with the way things are being run, to despair that their vote wouldn't make any difference, with I suspect a fair bit of disinterest along in between.
What we do know is that 100% of the membership had the opportunity to vote, unlike in times past, and there can't be much criticism that it wasn't made simple enough to do so.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

People too often don't vote then complain that the organisation doesn't listen.
John
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

Rod Goodfellow wrote:I am over 80,joined the CTC in 1953 and now only ride about 1/3 as much as in my heyday.Apart from CUK insurance I have no interest in CUK activities or politics.I find the magazine uninteresting, overladen with advertising both inside and with added flyers to such an extent that the whole lot usually goes to garbage unread.Should the proposed removal of seniors discount be removed I shall seek alternative 3rd party insurance and terminate my membership.Insurance suggestions welcome.

I am 70 and long time member.
Insurance such as CTC type is not really worth much. Household Insurance more or less covers the same thing but as far as I am aware, in a Thrd Party capacity only.
CTC Insurance is in my opinion (yes an opinion moderator) not a reason to stay a member.
As for the Opening message from someone earning a decent salary on the back of my membership fee (Nicola ) I am very unhappy about this.
I joined a long time ago and thought that I was joining a Cyclists Club. It is patently now, a business employing and bowing and scraping to Government. For those lefties amongst us, I actually Vote Conservative (before you praise or not).
There are in my experience, not many actual CTC Members using this Forum. It is 'overrun' with dealers buying selling and opinionating!
John
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Not so long ago the head honcho earned 60k

What happens if one has several insurances, say cycle insurance both via ctc and house insurance? Who gets the honour of settling the claim?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Why would you insure your bike more than once? CUK insurance is for third party claims, not theft.
John
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

One might have house insurance and be a member of various clubs that offer various insurances
PH

Post by PH »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Not so long ago the head honcho earned 60k

What happens if one has several insurances, say cycle insurance both via ctc and house insurance? Who gets the honour of settling the claim?

You don't have to worry about it. You make your claim with the one that seems most appropriate, declare the others and let the insurers fight it out between themselves, I think what happens is one settles the claim then if appropriate claims against the others. In the case of a TP claim for a cycling incident, a cycling specific policy would be the first contact. I have three such cycle specific policies, Cycling UK, BC and it's included in my fully comp cycle insurance from TSB, plus whatever insurance AUK provides while on an event, plus a couple of non cycle specific TP insurances, that come with a bank account and union membership.
I don't understand the idea of joining Cycling UK (Or BC) just for the TP insurance, it must be profitable to both organisations, others are bundling it up and pretty much giving it away. Despite all you hear about our litigious society, the cheapness of insurance indicates the likelihood of needing it isn't so great after all.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

On a general point about insurance, insurers are understandably keen that you shouldn't profit from insuring the same risk twice.

However, if you do have the same risk insured twice, it can mean you lose out because each insurer will shell out on their half of the claim but deduct their full standard excess. I had an attempt burglary some years ago which mainly involved a large double-glazed pane of toughened glass being shattered. I had my buildings insurance with emergency repair cover and some sort of freebie household emergency cover that came bundled with car breakdown cover (Green Flag, IIRC) Green Flag did the boarding-up PDQ and RSA (?) saw to the longer job of sourcing a new made-to-measure panel and fitting it. Two excesses to pay, neither reduced by half.

Knowing what I know now, I could have done things differently but it was snowing and the buildings insurance couldn't guarantee a boarder-upper till the following day. (It was around lunchtime when I reported it.)
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Cyril Haearn wrote:One might have house insurance and be a member of various clubs that offer various insurances

Do any clubs offer theft cover as part of membership theft insurance? If you pay extra and you already have cover under your house insurance then you are being wasteful.

Many offer third party cover gratis.
John
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Not so long ago the head honcho earned 60k

60K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am helping pay someone 60K????
Total madness. I thought the CTC was a Cyclists Club and not a business. What? 60K

I am despairing. that equates to £164 a day which is much more than my State earned weekly Pension.
I am certainly going to resign my Membership when it falls due. I will then avail myself of the 'benefits' of the Forum ...for free!
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I am no longer a member but is £60k excessive for a CEO running a national organisation?
John
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I fear the new chief gets a bit more than 60k
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I fear the new chief gets a bit more than 60k

One employee earned £80k to £90k:
https://www.cyclinguk.org/sites/default/files/document/2020/06/cycling_uk_annual_report_and_financial_statements_2018_19_signed_final_spreads_-_opt_1.pdf

But why "fear"?

What do you think that should be?

Thanks

Jonathan
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

Jdsk wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:I fear the new chief gets a bit more than 60k

One employee earned £80k to £90k:
https://www.cyclinguk.org/sites/default/files/document/2020/06/cycling_uk_annual_report_and_financial_statements_2018_19_signed_final_spreads_-_opt_1.pdf

But why "fear"?

What do you think that should be?

Thanks

Jonathan

Jonathan,
You obviously feel the excessive in my opinion anyway, salary is not excessive?
People in the real world, ie outside London earn as far as I’m aware a great deal less.
I’m a cycling club member at least until renewal. I will not be renewing. I’ve been a member for longer than many members have been born. It’s very very unfair that someone working fir for a little club should be ‘stealing’ ( my opinion) the amount suggested. For goodness sake it’s a little bike club. Wages? No no. It’s Dick Turpin territory. If you’ve not heard of Duck Turpin I’m certain Mr Google will advise.
I’m living on less than one days wages per week according to information given. It’s disgusting and I for one will no longer contribute. I will give my Annual fee to my Church for helping people who are not only homeless but hungry and sleeping on benches throughout winter, unlike the CEO in his or her warm Millionaire style home. I find the whole situation offensive and it makes me feel sick. It’s disgraceful. The CTC does nothing to promote or indeed increase cycling. It simply spends our money on wages and building investments. It is obscene.
My eyes have certainly been opened today!
John
Last edited by leftpoole on 20 Dec 2020, 6:31pm, edited 4 times in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

leftpoole wrote:You obviously feel the excessive in my opinion anyway, salary is not excessive?

I didn't think that I'd expressed an opinion...

... and I don't understand how obviously can be followed by a question mark...

Jonathan