CUK Price change.

Summer 2020 - Cycle Magazine announcement about membership changes
bigjim

CUK Price change.

Post by bigjim »

Had my letter this morning telling me that the Concessionary 12 month membership reduction is to be ended. They are also informing me how successful they are and how cycling is increasing. Don't think I'll bother renewing.
Oldjohnw

Re: CUK Price change.

Post by Oldjohnw »

Got mine too. I have/had rolling standing order but have just cancelled.
John
John Holiday

Post by John Holiday »

Have just received my letter & was about to pose a question on views on the change.
Has there been any sort of consultation?
What is the thinking behind the change?
Obviously likely to alienate a large section of the membership, a large proportion of whom are retired.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I only have it for the insurance and to ride with the local club. The clubs aren't riding or dying the death through lack of interest. The mag is full of ads, Josie Dew's meanderings and MTB stuff.
John Holiday

Post by John Holiday »

Have just re-read the letter, & note that these are actually only 'proposals', to be voted on at the AGM later in the year.
It would certainly be interesting to know what the thinking behind these changes are. From the initial reaction, it is likely to create some hostility and a drop in membership, which can hardly be the intention or of benefit.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

John Holiday wrote:Have just re-read the letter, & note that these are actually only 'proposals', to be voted on at the AGM later in the year.
It would certainly be interesting to know what the thinking behind these changes are. From the initial reaction, it is likely to create some hostility and a drop in membership, which can hardly be the intention or of benefit.

I saw that but the change is destined for November and price list already sorted. Looks like a done deal. Is the AGM before November? Haven't got it in front of me.
PH

Post by PH »

John Holiday wrote:Have just re-read the letter, & note that these are actually only 'proposals', to be voted on at the AGM later in the year.

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=139693
nicola.marshall

Post by nicola.marshall »

Hello
I just wanted to confirm that the changes we've outlined are very much proposals for voting on, either over the next few weeks or at the AGM on 4 September. This is the same process that we follow each year in relation to proposed changes to membership fees and we always publish the table of proposed new fee rates at the same time.

You can find out more about the proposals and the thinking behind them in this month's copy of Cycle magazine and also on the dedicated web pages here https://www.cyclinguk.org/membershipchanges which also has a very detailed FAQ we will be constantly updating.

Best wishes
Nicola Marshall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'll summarise the gist of some of the comments as people assuming that the decision is already a done deal; not through a misunderstanding, but through a feeling that the proposals will be rubber stamped. As in fait accompli.
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

One for Nicola.
We talk about the members who will be subjected to this price rise but have no information.

You are certainly the person who has the figures so what is the total current membership and the breakdown into payment groups so that we can see how big a section of the club will be affected.

At the moment we are not getting the facts or figures which considering a wide group of skills and knowledge within groups is either decisive or insulting so can we have the facts without smoke and mirrors please.
Fratercula

Post by Fratercula »

The proposed changes appear nonsensical and I cannot see how increasing charges can be seen as making "significant changes to our membership offer and structure to grow significantly".

It is of interest that the resolution makes no reference to implementation subject to AGM approval.

This is something that must be resisted, we are already "readying the troops" to vote against it, and we can if there are sufficient number (200) call for a poll of all members to be undertaken.

I think it is time for our trustees to begin to act for the rank and file members.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I don't think we are in their target market any more. CUK now seems aimed at MTBs and family cycling. They are probably correct that this is the growth area. I'm a bit miffed that if I cancel my membership that I won't be eligible to ride with my club anymore, which I see as a bit of blackmail for us regular club riders. The magazine fell in the porch this morning with the voting form attached. no return envelope though. As usual the mag has the regular reviews and ads of hugely expensive gear,£450 for handlebars and £130 for a cape. There is some touring but it seems more concerned with the Green Agenda than anything else. Just IMO, before anybody decides to start biting back. Oh and toddlers on balance bikes wearing huge helmets. :roll:
PH

Post by PH »

bigjim wrote: As usual the mag has the regular reviews and ads of hugely expensive gear,£450 for handlebars and £130 for a cape. There is some touring but it seems more concerned with the Green Agenda than anything else.

I think I got a different mag, mine has some very touring specific non flying travelling advice. Chris Juden reviewing the GRX rear mech. A £550 folder review. A £300 city bike review. What to check out on a secondhand bike. An interview with a new commuter... yes there's some exotica in amongst it - has there been a time when there wasn't? Not in the last twenty odd years.
If it's your opinion that none of that content is of interest to you, then that's what it is. But please don't pick out a couple of items and present that as if it were representative.
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

A fellow member of my club wrote to CUK to object about the price rise for most over 65s. She received a very long and rambling reply from which I have picked a few points:
CUK claim to be basing this on the survey which we were invited to respond to in 2019.
4,000 members took part as well as 1,000 non members who were regular riders.
CUK stated that one result was "that the way in which we set our fees was not in line with people’s expectations".
Well I'd like to know whether the results of this survey were published and discussed among the wider membership.
I'm uneasy about decisions being made on the basis of a poll in which 20% of the responses were from non members - without actual members being consulted further.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

PH wrote:
bigjim wrote: As usual the mag has the regular reviews and ads of hugely expensive gear,£450 for handlebars and £130 for a cape. There is some touring but it seems more concerned with the Green Agenda than anything else.

I think I got a different mag, mine has some very touring specific non flying travelling advice. Chris Juden reviewing the GRX rear mech. A £550 folder review. A £300 city bike review. What to check out on a secondhand bike. An interview with a new commuter... yes there's some exotica in amongst it - has there been a time when there wasn't? Not in the last twenty odd years.
If it's your opinion that none of that content is of interest to you, then that's what it is. But please don't pick out a couple of items and present that as if it were representative.

I didn't say none of the content was of interest to me. Though I did expect one of the usual suspects to come on here having a go. Hence IMO. But you can't resist can you? Please don't put words into my mouth in order to make your point. Just stick to your opinion.