CUK Price change.

Summer 2020 - Cycle Magazine announcement about membership changes
gxaustin

Re: CUK Price change.

Post by gxaustin »

Of course not, they should travel less

I do not want more cycling either, NIMBY at least

I have a feeling I must be missing something here?
You don't want people on buses, in cars or on bikes. I'm sure you'll have a good reason why we all need to stay at home.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

nicola.marshall wrote:Just to clarify - the new concessionary rate would be available to those who receive pension credit as this is a means-tested benefit.

I agree it's a complicated area, so we will always use the Turn2Us list of means-tested benefits. They are a well recognised charity working to support people on low incomes. We've linked to their definition in the FAQs but here it is again: https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Jargon-buste ... d-benefits.

Thanks for this. I can only repeat that if I visit the cUK website and go to the page for buying membership, there is no explanation of "Concessions." If I click that category it offers me the opportunity to buy a year's membership at the full rate. As I've not been going to buy membership I stopped without going further. IMO, before that point I would have expected some explanation "receiving means-tested benefits" seems crystal clear to me.

To make what I'm saying clear, the relevant button on the enrolment renewal page should be labelled "Concessions: receiving means-tested benefits."

Let me say that I really have been trying to be constructive here and at the very least, I have quite unintentionally put a trustee on the spot, to the extent that you have had to join in to clarify. There's no way of knowing how many potential members get fed up at the point I stopped.
backnotes

Post by backnotes »

i think you are looking at the current website? This seems to default to the full adult membership when you click on "concessions" which looks like an error. There's a drop-down menu of membership types available from the box that says "Adult membership", and if you click on one of the concessionary rates you get the price and the conditions that apply to that. So, if you select "unwaged", the "Terms" box changes to:

"£29.50 or £2.45 a month. Individual is unemployed and between the ages of 18 and up to 64 years. If employment status changes the member must inform Cycling UK."

The FAQs about the proposed membership changes explain that there won't be any means testing - it will be a system based on honesty:

"14. Will checks be made on my eligibility for a specific membership category, including means testing?
We will not conduct any specific checks on eligibility and Cycling UK will not be conducting “means testing” when you take out membership, as it is an honesty-based system. However, please bear in mind that your situation may require verification if you need to make an insurance or legal claim. "Means tested" is the universal term which refers to the collective group of means-tested benefits that are listed here."

So I think the current website is a bit broken as it shows the full adult rate when you click on concessions. I'd hope / expect they have a similar link to one from the FAQs to show what benefits are valid if the changes go through.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

gxaustin wrote:

I have a feeling I must be missing something here?
You don't want people on buses, in cars or on bikes. I'm sure you'll have a good reason why we all need to stay at home.

People travel too much because it is easy and cheap
Many people live in A and work in B and others live in B and work in A, vice-versa (Nottingham and Derby for example), plenty could swap and work near home

I certainly do not want more cycling where I live, there are too many already :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

backnotes

Thanks for that.
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

backnotes wrote:So I think the current website is a bit broken as it shows the full adult rate when you click on concessions. I'd hope / expect they have a similar link to one from the FAQs to show what benefits are valid if the changes go through.

Yup. Not the only thing that needs attention in the membership area of the website. I believe it will be reviewed very soon. I will be offering the staff some advice as I have a professional background in website management and usability. (As a trustee, I will be offering said advice for free. Of course some might say that's what it's worth. :-))
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

[quoteMany people live in A and work in B and others live in B and work in A, vice-versa (Nottingham and Derby for example), plenty could swap and work near home][/quote]

Couldn't agree more. People thought I was mad when I worked in outer London and lived nearby. They all drove in from Surrey.

I certainly do not want more cycling where I live, there are too many already :?

Heresy on this site, surely? :lol: :lol:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

gxaustin wrote:[quoteMany people live in A and work in B and others live in B and work in A, vice-versa (Nottingham and Derby for example), plenty could swap and work near home]

Couldn't agree more. People thought I was mad when I worked in outer London and lived nearby. They all drove in from Surrey.

Heresy on this site, surely? :lol: :lol:[/quote]
Just been for a ride, thought about this
If I could trust them to single out it would not be so bad, but it gets better soon, there are not so many in winter, fewer cruise holidays
I suspect that many people who advocate 'more cycling' really mean they want journies transferred from motor to cycle. I just wish they would say so :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mjr

Post by mjr »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I suspect that many people who advocate 'more cycling' really mean they want journies transferred from motor to cycle. I just wish they would say so :?

Not only but also. We do need more sofa riders turned into bike riders or inactivity will crush the NHS.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
nicola.marshall

Post by nicola.marshall »

Hello all

I can see quite a few comments re the website - yes, we agree it's not very clear at the moment though won't get into the specifics here. We were already planning to update it fully in the autumn which hopefully will resolve the issues - and also update with proposed changes depending on the vote.

I posted a (very!) long answer to a number of questions on different threads which is now 'pinned' to the top of this list of topics. Just in case you haven't seen I think this will link to it
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=140092#p1518019

I suggested that if you have specific questions for Cycling UK to respond to, it would be really helpful for us if you could put them in the biggest thread 'Membership rates' started by Rod Goodfellow, just makes it easier for us to reply to.
Thanks
Nicola
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
gxaustin wrote:
Increasing bus use is not desirable

Let them drive cars then?

I just moved home, got a voucher for a monthly bus season. Shall not be using it, no need, the town is quite small, one can cycle or walk everywhere

Just linger on this sentence for a moment...
one can cycle or walk everywhere

Then try someone else's shoes on... You might be able to - I can't walk anywhere outside.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.