Senior membership fees

Summer 2020 - Cycle Magazine announcement about membership changes
curly47

Senior membership fees

Post by curly47 »

Hi, having read the proposal for the coming AGM to increase the membership fees for seniors. I find it absolutely absurd that this is on the agenda. These senior members have kept the CTC, CUK going and able to continue it's existence and now you want to slap them in the face by increasing the fees they pay by such a substantial amount! No other group of the membership has such an increase. It is hard hearted and cruel!

I am so disappointed and disturbed that you think so little of you senior members!

Tony Hopkins.
Membership number 10020830
Shreds

Re: Senior membership fees

Post by Shreds »

Become a ‘lifer’ quick!
nicola.marshall

Re: Senior membership fees

Post by nicola.marshall »

Dear Tony

I'm Nicola Marshall, the director responsible for membership. I'm really sorry that you feel that way about the proposals. I'd be really happy to talk to you directly about them and get your feedback. If you would like to talk, please do email our membership email at membership@cyclinguk.org and ask for the email to be forwarded to me (I would give you my direct number but my IT team tell me that would result in a lot of spam once you put your number on the internet).

I'm sure you've already seen them, but we have tried to put a lot of information up about the proposals on our website here: https://www.cyclinguk.org/membershipchanges. There's also been a lot of discussion on different forum threads already as you will see, so I've put a (very long I'm afraid) response here: viewtopic.php?f=56&t=140092

I won't repeat all the information there. But would just add here a few of the comments I've just posted on another thread which is that I, and my whole team, really enjoy talking to senior members who have contributed so much to the organisation over the years. We know that these proposals of course affect them much more than other member groups and we're trying our best to answer lots of questions from them and explain the proposals (which are very much proposals at this stage).

We have thought really hard about the proposals and we do think, overall, they are fairer and in the best interests of the long term financial sustainability of the organisation. But of course I understand there are many different views. We have based them on a lot of research which did show that many members value our work for cycling, especially campaigning and lobbying, as much as the benefits they get. IF the vote goes through, we really want to support all members to remain with us and have a range of options which we think are really good value.

In particular I would highlight our lifetime membership. This is based both on someone's age and how long they have been a member (the latter is, we think, fairly unique amongst member organisations). I spoke to someone last week and the cost for him would have been £26 which is hopefully still good value. Of course we are also really keen to support people to take advantage of the proposed updated concessionary rate if they need to do this and can support them to do so; or move to the household rate or the new supporter package.

As I say in the main post, I'm very happy to speak to you directly on the phone about the changes - please do just email the membership@cyclinguk.org address and ask for it to be sent to me.

Best wishes
Nicola