New low income membership rates.

Summer 2020 - Cycle Magazine announcement about membership changes
Philip Benstead

New low income membership rates.

Post by Philip Benstead »

Now that CTC/CUK has low membership rates will anybody whom had previously paid full adult rate will upon renewal will seek the new reduce rate?
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: New low income membership rates.

Post by Mick F »

When does the new system come in?
I see the website is still at the old rates (though updated).
https://www.cyclinguk.org/membership-types
Mick F. Cornwall
RickH

Post by RickH »

Mick F wrote:When does the new system come in?
I see the website is still at the old rates (though updated).
https://www.cyclinguk.org/membership-types

The rates change for renewals/ new memberships from 1st October (I think it is the same date every year when there are any changes).

Personally, I will probably try for the current life membership (assuming I can do it mid year). If I've done the calculation right it would be about 6.25 years membership at current rates. Given that I would have 3 years before the age reduction kicked in if it had stayed it seems like a good deal to me. I've not yet looked at how life membership works on the new system, I presume that would be less of a good deal.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
roger

Post by roger »

The change was undated in the motion. I believed this to be a bit odd. I raised it with Nicola Marshall among other things. She said that it would be 1/11/2020.
RickH

Post by RickH »

roger wrote:The change was undated in the motion. I believed this to be a bit odd. I raised it with Nicola Marshall among other things. She said that it would be 1/11/2020.

Yes, my mistake. I presume it is November rather than October this year because the AGM had to be delayed. The 1st November date is confirmed on the Cycling UK website on this page (dated today, 7th September).
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks Rick.
Best thing, therefore for us oldies reading this, is to join before the new idea comes in .......................................... but next year, you'll be paying double.
Mick F. Cornwall
backnotes

Post by backnotes »

RickH wrote:Personally, I will probably try for the current life membership (assuming I can do it mid year). If I've done the calculation right it would be about 6.25 years membership at current rates. Given that I would have 3 years before the age reduction kicked in if it had stayed it seems like a good deal to me. I've not yet looked at how life membership works on the new system, I presume that would be less of a good deal.

See FAQ 11 here: https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/chang ... ership-faq for details of how the life memebrship calculation will be changing.

From 1st November, the weighting used for the age-related part of the calculation halves from £12 per year to £6 per year. So if you are e.g. 62, I believe the cost of life membership goes up by 62 x 6 = £372 from 1st November. So, yes, somewhat less of a good deal!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

backnotes wrote: ........................... So, yes, somewhat less of a good deal!
Forget Life Membership, the whole thing is less of a good deal.
Mick F. Cornwall