Interesting dashcam footage.

thirdcrank

Interesting dashcam footage.

Post by thirdcrank »

Some interesting dashcam footage.

Although the CPS originally decided not to prosecute, they are having another look, which at the very least shows that the complainant was not fobbed off.

It also shows, or seems not to show what might have triggered this. Above all, it shows that there are some real nutters out on our roads.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-39385809
Spinners

Re: Interesting dashcam footage.

Post by Spinners »

It's a shocker alright. Fingers crossed for a prosecution leading to a lengthy driving ban* and/or imprisonment.

*Permanent IMO
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Looks to me like the (unnecessary/unprovoked*) flash by the overtaken vehicle in response to the overtake was the catalyst.

*Which in no way justified the response, for the avoidance of doubt
jeremy1

Post by jeremy1 »

I have go pros front AND rear on my car the back one is mounted outside on the roof

AND two 12" signs "Tailgating camera. tailgaters ARE reported", in FOUR years only one woman has ignored the signs

The reason, many years ago I was cut up by a car overtaking me and then turning left it was a POLICE car, NO lights siren, from that day on I fitted a camera, in those days old tape so playback was sloooooow to a PC.

I also send footage to the Police of anyone on a phone...........
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Where do you stick your signs? Are they commercially available?
jeremy1

Post by jeremy1 »

Bonefishblues wrote:Where do you stick your signs? Are they commercially available?

Vistaprint

Image[/URL][/img]
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

From the BBC report:-
He said: "You give them dashcam footage, you give them all the evidence. I wonder what it takes to get somebody prosecuted?

"It really upset my kids which is why I'm doing this."

Indeed,if that's not dangerous driving then I we(cyclists) or the rest of UK road users don't stand a chance.
IMHO that kind of driving deserves a huge fine £1000+ a ban and a retest before this loonie is allowed to drive again on UK roads.
The CPS decided not to consider the case because it felt it would not get a conviction,

All I can say is I'm dismayed by such crap.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
jeremy1

Post by jeremy1 »

reohn2 wrote:From the BBC report:-
He said: "You give them dashcam footage, you give them all the evidence. I wonder what it takes to get somebody prosecuted?

"It really upset my kids which is why I'm doing this."

Indeed,if that's not dangerous driving then I we(cyclists) or the rest of UK road users don't stand a chance.
IMHO that kind of driving deserves a huge fine £1000+ a ban and a retest before this loonie is allowed to drive again on UK roads.
The CPS decided not to consider the case because it felt it would not get a conviction,

All I can say is I'm dismayed by such crap.

I have to laugh when I am told by the Police

" to prosecute someone it has to be witnessed by another person".................. "but here is a video" ...................... "no good has to be a person"

DUH?

What they mean is "we don't have the time or resources" or "we can't be bothered"

My advice make some sandwiches and a flask and refuse to leave the police station until they act, what can they do arrest you? great publicity.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I think that the Police would love an easy conviction to close a crime report. I suspect that you might be looking in the wrong place.

"Dashcammers" already have a bad name, with good reason in some cases, but it does create issues for those legitimate reports, I suspect.
jeremy1

Post by jeremy1 »

Bonefishblues wrote:I think that the Police would love an easy conviction to close a crime report. I suspect that you might be looking in the wrong place.

"Dashcammers" already have a bad name, with good reason in some cases, but it does create issues for those legitimate reports, I suspect.

Why a bad name, surely the camera only records fact, or do you mean the ones who post bad drivers online and phone users

Cyclists use camera too so do you rule them out or tar with the same brush our bikes have them front and back makes insurance claims or reporting issues easier
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I see many drivers who seem to be engaged in actively seeking conflict in order to post YouTube clips of bad driving, not realising that it's their driving at greater fault.

I made no comments about cyclists so any inference is yours alone.
jeremy1

Post by jeremy1 »

Bonefishblues wrote:I see many drivers who seem to be engaged in actively seeking conflict in order to post YouTube clips of bad driving, not realising that it's their driving at greater fault.

I made no comments about cyclists so any inference is yours alone.

Interesting, have you followed them or asked them, how do you know :)

Ah so cyclists who use them are ok
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

They post their images on YouTube and I watch them. I then form a view about their driving. But you knew that.

I made no comments about cyclist users.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The only warning signs of that type I generally see are on commercial vehicles among the countless other stickers and warnings.

Not particularly recently, I had an experience of a private car with a camera warning sign covering quite a large part of the back window. I had a clear view of it when stationary behind it at traffic lights, not far from home. When we moved off on the 40 mph A road, the driver crawled along and where overtaking would have been impossible without passing islands etc on the wrong side, we were almost crawling. Always possible that the other driver was looking for something, but there's nothing like house numbers on that stretch of main road so that seemed unlikely. I jumped to the conclusion that it was a dolt either trying to provoke an over-reaction or perhaps with a big sticker but no camera, just seeing who they could con. I don't tailgate so it wasn't a case of slowing down as a reaction to that. It's not a car I've seen before or since.

Warning signs are not really my style or I could have had something mounted on the front in a mirror image saying "Inconsiderate drivers always filmed and reported." I find having a dashcam good in that having a recording of idiocy is calming, but I get the impression that some cameramen feel the urge to find things to report. It's a bit like the early days of mobile phones. People had them but not all had a use so they made emergency calls about nothing. I don't know if the novelty wore off because I retired. :lol:

I'd certainly agree that tailgating is a dangerous practice, but I'd be wary of provoking other drivers.
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

guess we can stop sending in footage of those close passes :(