Should use of motor vehicle rear fog lamps only be allowed on special roads eg motorways?

Bonefishblues

Re: Should use of motor vehicle rear fog lamps only be allowed on special roads eg motorways?

Post by Bonefishblues »

Front fogs aren't really an issue due to the down/sideways direction of the beams, designed to illuminate the perimeters of the lane.
The utility cyclist

Re: Should use of motor vehicle rear fog lamps only be allowed on special roads eg motorways?

Post by The utility cyclist »

Bonefishblues wrote:Front fogs aren't really an issue due to the down/sideways direction of the beams, designed to illuminate the perimeters of the lane.

Which are vastly different to DRLs which are used like fog lights and left on all the time but as they are as bright and sometimes brighter than headbeams of even 15-20 years ago are often blinding/distracting during the day, I've not seen any improvement since the introduction and forced use via EU legislation :x
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

How are DRLs used like fog lights? They are designed to be on when headlights are off. They go off when headlights are switched on.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

They are both irritatingly dazzling, and generally used in the UK when not required in terms of visibility etc.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bonefishblues wrote:
meic wrote:In such a circumstance sensible people keep their foot on the brake to alert approaching cars that they have stopped. If approaching cars are expecting foglights, this will no longer work as a method of warning them.

Even better to "pulse" the brake to ensure attention is drawn.

Is it? I know some people get pretty angry when a car stopped in front does that, taking it as an insult to how they were driving. No-one I know has admitted getting out of the car to abuse the driver ahead, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happens.

Also, some high-level brake lights can be pretty obnoxious for a driver close behind (pretty much dazzling from a driving seat less than about 10m away IMO but I know I'm over-sensitive to contrast), and disorientating a driver approaching behind is maybe not a good idea. Where the heck did this idea of pulsing the brake start?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mjr wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
meic wrote:In such a circumstance sensible people keep their foot on the brake to alert approaching cars that they have stopped. If approaching cars are expecting foglights, this will no longer work as a method of warning them.

Even better to "pulse" the brake to ensure attention is drawn.

Is it? I know some people get pretty angry when a car stopped in front does that, taking it as an insult to how they were driving. No-one I know has admitted getting out of the car to abuse the driver ahead, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happens.

Also, some high-level brake lights can be pretty obnoxious for a driver close behind (pretty much dazzling from a driving seat less than about 10m away IMO but I know I'm over-sensitive to contrast), and disorientating a driver approaching behind is maybe not a good idea. Where the heck did this idea of pulsing the brake start?

I was referring specifically to a scenario when one stops in fog, or unexpectedly, where one wants to make sure that the people approaching from behind have every chance to notice you as opposed to piling into the back of you. As soon as I'm seen, I wouldn't do it any further.

Forgive the momentary inconvenience, or any personal slight caused, but I'm only here to type this because of my attention, as opposed to the coach driver, who I was just able to give sufficient room to squeeze past me doing 50+, not having seen the traffic was coming to a halt in L2 in front (think A34 family deaths...). Took me a while to get out of the central reservation, but the alternative still gives me chills.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bonefishblues wrote:I was referring specifically to a scenario when one stops in fog, or unexpectedly, where one wants to make sure that the people approaching from behind have every chance to notice you as opposed to piling into the back of you. As soon as I'm seen, I wouldn't do it any further.

How do you know you've been seen, or are you stopping flashing when you judge that the motorist behind is now driving acceptably? In other words, are some motorists actually correct to understand it as criticism of their driving, even if it doesn't excuse their road rage?

Bonefishblues wrote:Forgive the momentary inconvenience, or any personal slight caused, but I'm only here to type this because [...]

I'm glad you're still here but I suspect many of us who have been driving for years have been involved in scary near-misses and I don't see it as much excuse for flashing brake lights. I've survived some mad [inappropriate word removed] too - do I get to make up a new road rule?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Because they have moderated their speed such that I can see they are going to stop. Frankly, I'd rather have road rage than the alternative.

To be clear, I do not do this routinely. I do it when I judge I am in danger.

Where's the new road rule?
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

High intensity rear light are always turned by whoever is in front of me waiting to get off a ferry. Flashing headlights at them does not seem to get their attention and I can see nothing for ages. I hate them!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I pulse my break lights to warn the driver behind me

Chance that he is an idiot is much better than evens
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pwa

Post by pwa »

I live near the coast and sea mist is a fairly common occurrence. At its worst visibility is down to 20 metres or so. And traffic does slow down. It slows down a lot. But even driving at 10 mph on a bit of road where 50 mph could be safe in good conditions has you staring intently in front, ready for any sign that you might need to brake. If fog lamps have a role, it is in those circumstances. And if you possess a really bright rear bike light, that is the time to dig it out.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

ambodach wrote:High intensity rear light are always turned by whoever is in front of me waiting to get off a ferry. Flashing headlights at them does not seem to get their attention and I can see nothing for ages. I hate them!

Tap on their window? Low tech but likely to be effective?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

pwa wrote:I live near the coast and sea mist is a fairly common occurrence. At its worst visibility is down to 20 metres or so. And traffic does slow down. It slows down a lot. But even driving at 10 mph on a bit of road where 50 mph could be safe in good conditions has you staring intently in front, ready for any sign that you might need to brake. If fog lamps have a role, it is in those circumstances. And if you possess a really bright rear bike light, that is the time to dig it out.

Those are exactly the conditions where rear fogs should help. It's not me seeing the person ahead and stopping safely, it's the person behind discovering me that gives me the willies.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

mjr wrote:I'm glad you're still here but I suspect many of us who have been driving for years have been involved in scary near-misses and I don't see it as much excuse for flashing brake lights. I've survived some mad <i>[inappropriate word removed]</i> too - do I get to make up a new road rule?

I don't understand the problem, with pulsing brakes. It may not be completely necessary these days, as most cars have ABS, but it is a useful way to shave off speed when you don't need to brake hard and it can alert following drivers to the fact that people are braking ahead. If someone is so close that it is a hazard, they are too close, anyway. Better to pulse the brakes and irritate them, than slam on them and cause an accident.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

When queuing in traffic at night, I find brake lights at best irritating and I thought there was some system which dimmed them a bit when the vehicle's lights were on. Perhaps that's no longer the case. Queuing traffic isn't the same thing as somebody coming to a standstill on an open road with otherwise fast-moving traffic, where even flashing beacons aren't sufficient warning for some drivers.

I can't help noticing a contrast between some views and the attitudes to bright, flashing cycle lights where the brighter-the-better is often the mantra and hard luck to anybody who is dazzled.