HS2

brynpoeth
Posts: 5358
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: HS2

Postby brynpoeth » 9 Apr 2018, 7:13pm

horizon wrote:More heart-wrenching news about this obscene project (a project that has nothing to do with improving people's lives but everything to do with profiting from contracts all promoted under the under the risible guise of technological improvement):

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... ork-to-hs2

+2 for your signature:
*hs2: an obscenity built on greed and welcomed by the stupid*
I love railways, used to work on one but I do not want this
The same has happened in Germany, one may still travel by train through the wonderful Rhein Gorge but there is a speedygonzales line direct from Frankfurt/M to Koeln, the train goes so fast one gets dizzy trying to enjoy the landscape, there are lots of cuttings and tunnels, lots of people commute long distances. Because they can
Fewer long-distance trains use the Rhein line now, lots more freight trains run there 24/7, the noise drives the locals mad
Its the economy, economic growth, stupid! :(
Alternative facts welcome
......
Cycling? Of course, but it is far better on a Gillott

recumbentpanda
Posts: 182
Joined: 6 Apr 2009, 12:13pm

Re: HS2

Postby recumbentpanda » 11 Apr 2018, 1:26pm

Horizon, while I appreciate this is a topic on which there is some strength of feelings, I am and have been, prepared to debate it in a civil manner. I would ask you to consider that your signature line is inappropriate, as it is hard to engage in debate if one person is repeatedly calling anyone who has a different opinion on the desirability of Hs2 ‘stupid’.

Pretty Please.

User avatar
horizon
Posts: 8236
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Cornwall

Re: HS2

Postby horizon » 11 Apr 2018, 2:23pm

recumbentpanda wrote:Horizon, while I appreciate this is a topic on which there is some strength of feelings, I am and have been, prepared to debate it in a civil manner. I would ask you to consider that your signature line is inappropriate, as it is hard to engage in debate if one person is repeatedly calling anyone who has a different opinion on the desirability of Hs2 ‘stupid’.

Pretty Please.


Fair point, though I'm glad it got your attention - i will amend my signature.

The stupidity I'm referring to is of those who won't gain personally from it but are impressed and excited by the new, fast and shiny without regard to its social, environmental and human consequences. This to me is a type of gross immaturity. The article I linked to tells of a man whose Elizabethan family home is to be destroyed in short order and against his will for HS2. This to my mind is obscene in a civilised country.
Bikes belong on trains: two spaces per carriage would meet most needs.

brynpoeth
Posts: 5358
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: HS2

Postby brynpoeth » 11 Apr 2018, 7:09pm

When should 'progress' and development' stop?
I think the clock should be turned back, there is far too much motor traffic
Few new railways are needed but the LSWR line to Plymouth should be reopened, likewise Moat Lane to Merthyr Camford to Oxbridge &c &c

When should 'progess' & 'development' stop?
Alternative facts welcome
......
Cycling? Of course, but it is far better on a Gillott

Bonefishblues
Posts: 4085
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: HS2

Postby Bonefishblues » 11 Apr 2018, 7:49pm

Absolutely taking neither side, but living close to the crossover point E-W line and HS2 and therefore having more than a passing interest, I've just had a virtual fly along the route. The scale is remarkable, as is the amount of tunnel being built under the Chilterns AONB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bkoGvw ... u.be&t=17m

brynpoeth
Posts: 5358
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: HS2

Postby brynpoeth » 11 Apr 2018, 9:07pm

Bonefishblues wrote:Absolutely taking neither side, but living close to the crossover point E-W line and HS2 and therefore having more than a passing interest, I've just had a virtual fly along the route. The scale is remarkable, as is the amount of tunnel being built under the Chilterns AONB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bkoGvw ... u.be&t=17m

Do you really not have an opinion, is that allowed here? :wink:
How far are you from it, how loud will it be?
Maybe those efficient Germans could help organise it, just read about a new halt, planned in 2014, should open in 2022
Alternative facts welcome
......
Cycling? Of course, but it is far better on a Gillott

Bonefishblues
Posts: 4085
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: HS2

Postby Bonefishblues » 11 Apr 2018, 9:24pm

brynpoeth wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Absolutely taking neither side, but living close to the crossover point E-W line and HS2 and therefore having more than a passing interest, I've just had a virtual fly along the route. The scale is remarkable, as is the amount of tunnel being built under the Chilterns AONB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bkoGvw ... u.be&t=17m

Do you really not have an opinion, is that allowed here? :wink:
How far are you from it, how loud will it be?
Maybe those efficient Germans could help organise it, just read about a new halt, planned in 2014, should open in 2022

Sometimes one doesn't either know enough or care sufficiently to have an opinion tbh.

About 2.5 miles as the crow does its thing but we're on the other side of a watershed so I think that may reduce the noise somewhat. E-W about the same.

User avatar
horizon
Posts: 8236
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Cornwall

Re: HS2

Postby horizon » 11 Apr 2018, 10:00pm

Bonefishblues wrote:Sometimes one doesn't either know enough or care sufficiently to have an opinion tbh.



It could be a case of the more you know the more you care. Most of us are unaffected directly by HS2 (and there are worse things going on in the world). But for some individuals and those who know the areas involved, it is disastrous. I found out more about it on a cycle tour of Warwickshire and Oxfordshire, coming across the protest banners on the landscapes where it is proposed to pass through. Apart from the environmental damage, the reason for my anger is my belief that this is a project founded on large contracts, intense lobbying and unequally divided profits and loss. Yes, there will be a railway at the end of it and yes, some safeguards have been put in place but the money (£60bn?) could have transformed lives, buildings and landscapes in thousands of positive and life enhancing ways. But these would not have produced the corporate profits which is what this scheme is about.
Bikes belong on trains: two spaces per carriage would meet most needs.

Bonefishblues
Posts: 4085
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: HS2

Postby Bonefishblues » 13 Apr 2018, 11:58am

horizon wrote:It could be a case of the more you know the more you care. Most of us are unaffected directly by HS2 (and there are worse things going on in the world). But for some individuals and those who know the areas involved, it is disastrous. I found out more about it on a cycle tour of Warwickshire and Oxfordshire, coming across the protest banners on the landscapes where it is proposed to pass through. Apart from the environmental damage, the reason for my anger is my belief that this is a project founded on large contracts, intense lobbying and unequally divided profits and loss. Yes, there will be a railway at the end of it and yes, some safeguards have been put in place but the money (£60bn?) could have transformed lives, buildings and landscapes in thousands of positive and life enhancing ways. But these would not have produced the corporate profits which is what this scheme is about.

I don't doubt that for some individuals it may be disasterous, such as the gentleman you linked previously, but as someone who is living very close to the route(s) I must report very little "heat" about this as an issue.

The major concern being aired is the process of construction, and the impact it may have - such as our own village, where the E-W contractors were going to route c5-700 HGVs through each day, and most particularly around a bend they actually couldn't navigate!
(They have since accepted representations, and admitted that the route was planned without a physical survey!)

brynpoeth
Posts: 5358
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: HS2

Postby brynpoeth » 14 Apr 2018, 6:42pm

Bonefishblues wrote:
brynpoeth wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Absolutely taking neither side, but living close to the crossover point E-W line and HS2 and therefore having more than a passing interest, I've just had a virtual fly along the route. The scale is remarkable, as is the amount of tunnel being built under the Chilterns AONB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bkoGvw ... u.be&t=17m

Do you really not have an opinion, is that allowed here? :wink:
How far are you from it, how loud will it be?
Maybe those efficient Germans could help organise it, just read about a new halt, planned in 2014, should open in 2022

Sometimes one doesn't either know enough or care sufficiently to have an opinion tbh.

About 2.5 miles as the crow does its thing but we're on the other side of a watershed so I think that may reduce the noise somewhat. E-W about the same.

Having no opinion is fine (usually the biggest 'party' in elections) but seems to be rare over here, a magazine asked for opinions about free tram + bus travel, some were for, some were against, there was an option 'not formed an opinion yet' which came last with 0% :wink:
Alternative facts welcome
......
Cycling? Of course, but it is far better on a Gillott

Steady rider
Posts: 2029
Joined: 4 Jan 2009, 4:31pm

Re: HS2

Postby Steady rider » 15 Apr 2018, 4:12pm

Was the UK independent Party the only party to oppose HS2?

http://stophs2.org/news/8316-views-parties-opposed-hs2

The Greens as well.

brynpoeth
Posts: 5358
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: HS2

Postby brynpoeth » 23 Jun 2018, 9:54pm

The formation would make a good cycle superhighway if the project is abandoned part-way
Alternative facts welcome
......
Cycling? Of course, but it is far better on a Gillott