Article in Telegraph about proposal to ban cyclists because they hog the road- shock horror...

Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Article in Telegraph about proposal to ban cyclists because they hog the road- shock horror...

Post by Mick F »

Stradageek wrote:I'd like to just put this idea out there for comment.

As a well known cyclist I get a lot of these complaints aimed at me and have to agree that some 'cyclists' do act very inconsiderately deliberately blocking motorists on country lanes or angering city commuters with dangerous or inconsiderate manoeuvres.

But having now met a few of these 'cyclists' I may have worked out what the issue is. These guys are not the expected eco-warrior terrorists, in fact in my experience they are exactly the opposite, they are simply aggressive car drivers spending a few hours on a bike. They cycle the way they will drive once they've loaded the bike into the boot of the car at the end of the ride.

I've seen the behaviour, I've taked to the riders and I've seen the Audi at the end of the ride - anyone else concur?
Yes, me.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Article in Telegraph about proposal to ban cyclists because they hog the road- shock horror...

Post by Mick F »

atlas_shrugged wrote:I agree with their leader. The conservatives are truly the nasty party.

(A non voter for over 25 years and proud of it).
Can I just go off topic about this please?
I can see why you don't vote. I sort of agree with you.
We don't buy newspapers and we don't have a telly.

"Don't vote for them, it only encourages them."

However, it would be better to go and "vote" but spoil you ballot paper. At least that way, you are counted in the statistics.
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote:
atlas_shrugged wrote:I agree with their leader. The conservatives are truly the nasty party.

However, it would be better to go and "vote" but spoil you ballot paper. At least that way, you are counted in the statistics.

I agree,too many times I've entered the polling station thinking I'm voting for the best of evils,and on couple of occasions spoiled my paper in frustration.
But I've exercised my right to vote or spoil my paper at every general and local election,remembering the sacrifices made by my fore-fathers and mothers that allows me to exercise that right.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

reohn2 wrote:
Mick F wrote:

I agree,too many times I've entered the polling station thinking I'm voting for the best of evils,and on couple of occasions spoiled my paper in frustration.
But I've exercised my right to vote or spoil my paper at every general and local election,remembering the sacrifices made by my fore-fathers and mothers that allows me to exercise that right.

Empty gestures are, well .... empty.

I've voted but three times, all against the greater charlatans rather than for anyone. I can't remember any recent politicians even discussing any of the major policies I'd be interested in supporting - a reorganisation of socio-economic institutions to avoid so-called economic growth; bolsters for civilised behaviours rather than mechanisms of greed, exploitation, war and general degradation of everything & everybody by rabid psychotics and their baying supporters.

But politics has become a circus, in a wider spectacle or theatre of the absurd that is now near-ubiquitous. The Christians are right! We're a badly-flawed species of compulsive sinners who know & practice far too many naughty tricks, given half a chance.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cugel wrote:
Empty gestures are, well .... empty.

I've voted but three times, all against the greater charlatans rather than for anyone. I can't remember any recent politicians even discussing any of the major policies I'd be interested in supporting - a reorganisation of socio-economic institutions to avoid so-called economic growth; bolsters for civilised behaviours rather than mechanisms of greed, exploitation, war and general degradation of everything & everybody by rabid psychotics and their baying supporters.

But politics has become a circus, in a wider spectacle or theatre of the absurd that is now near-ubiquitous. The Christians are right! We're a badly-flawed species of compulsive sinners who know & practice far too many naughty tricks, given half a chance.

Cugel

I can do nothing more than agree with your sentiment.
If only the criminal creeps who rule over us were able to be brought to book and punished severly for their crimes and abject dishonesty,the country would be in a much better state for all concerned and not just an element of it IMHO.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
roger

Post by roger »

I vote because one election my candidate will win by a majority of one.

I will then be able to say that I caused the mother of all recounts.
sirmy

Post by sirmy »

If anyone ever brings up something like this simply point that that there is no provision in the TSRGD for any such sign, and wait for the confused look as they realise they don't know what they're talking about
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

It doesn't stop them putting them up though
https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=114584&hilit=single+file+sign
Fortunately, not being proper road signs, they are rather easy to dismantle.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Stradageek wrote:I'd like to just put this idea out there for comment.

As a well known cyclist I get a lot of these complaints aimed at me and have to agree that some 'cyclists' do act very inconsiderately deliberately blocking motorists on country lanes or angering city commuters with dangerous or inconsiderate manoeuvres.

But having now met a few of these 'cyclists' I may have worked out what the issue is. These guys are not the expected eco-warrior terrorists, in fact in my experience they are exactly the opposite, they are simply aggressive car drivers spending a few hours on a bike. They cycle the way they will drive once they've loaded the bike into the boot of the car at the end of the ride.

I've seen the behaviour, I've taked to the riders and I've seen the Audi at the end of the ride - anyone else concur?

The type of car doesn't really make much of a difference but it is fairly true that those fairly new to cycling and your typical noddy hat weekend warrior will cycle in pretty much the same way they drive. Next to zero consideration and think they can do what they like when they like. You only have to look at how far too many behave in sportive/charity rides to see this. If you want to race then go race properly and see how people react to their garbage riding atitude.
As for the councillor, yet another poli blowing a load of hot air :twisted:
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

I find cars hog the road space and hold me up! :wink:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

ChrisButch wrote:
Cugel wrote:I'm slightly ashamed to admit that, when younger, I often raced past pottering motorists going down Lakeland and Dales descents. If I couldn't get past, I might gesticulate when behind them in the hope that they would see me in their mirror and get out of the way. (They never did).

One of the incidental delights of cycling in the Alps, for a British cyclist, is the not particularly admirable sense of exultation you feel when cars indicate and wave you past on the straights when descending from a big col. (Many do).

I have actually had this happen in teh New Forest on the Kettwiesel. A large 4x4 pulled over and waved me past

I saw him later in Burley, and thanked him - his reply was that I seemed to be having such fun, it would have been a pity to slow me down
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Why not stand for election rather than not vote....
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)