CYCLISTS ARE OWN BIGGEST DANGER

mjr

Re: CYCLISTS ARE OWN BIGGEST DANGER

Postby mjr » 7 Nov 2019, 1:51pm

20mph, bollards and improved junction designs are as cycling specific as anything else - it's mainly cyclists and walkers that want them, sometimes buses if the bollards allow them through. The only completely cycling specific infra is probably something like a cycling bridge or tunnel that other users are banned from, but I know of none in the UK (the UK always allow walkers AFAIK which allows wheelchairs and scooters to use it) and only remember one in NL which had a parallel ramped bridge for walkers.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

visionset

Postby visionset » 7 Nov 2019, 2:03pm

mjr wrote:20mph, bollards and improved junction designs are as cycling specific as anything else - it's mainly cyclists and walkers that want them, sometimes buses if the bollards allow them through. The only completely cycling specific infra is probably something like a cycling bridge or tunnel that other users are banned from, but I know of none in the UK (the UK always allow walkers AFAIK which allows wheelchairs and scooters to use it) and only remember one in NL which had a parallel ramped bridge for walkers.

I would lump 20 zones into, pleasant environment in which to live rather than for any particular transport reasons. Being purely selfish, I want it where I live, cos I'm sick of people treating area as a race track. Not that it'll make a bit of difference. Though there is such a thing as community assisted policing, so I'll probably end up being the sad chap in chair with a speed gun.

The utility cyclist

Postby The utility cyclist » 7 Nov 2019, 8:05pm

visionset wrote:I've ridden lots of France, Italy, Spain, Switzerland and a recent ride round Amsterdam. Of all of that I can honestly say that infrastructure has almost nothing to do with feeling at ease on the bike. I can't speak for the inexperienced, but for me it is 99% to do with driver attitude. And that is on another planet in the above countries. Yes even Italy.

Injecting a load of infrastructure, however good it is, will not make the UK a nice place to ride or walk, or a get yourself from A - B by whatever means!
Stop building roads period
Improve what there is.
Construct policy that recognises driving is a privilege.
Change driver attitude with a stronger arm of the law.
Improve and make public transport affordable.
Do all of that FIRST
Any infrastructure should be added slowly, with huge consideration, planning, vision and ambition.

Agree, but we need to take some of the existing roads away from motorists completely, particularly in the built environment, this means not having to build crappy 'infra', take back what already exists, forcing motorists to go the long way round or abandon their vehicles altogether, this is the only effective AND importantly safe way to get anywhere near mass cycling for short journeys/around conurbations in the UK.

Having police actually enforce the law and judges not to act with such indifference when it comes to applying the correct tarifs or again ignoring the law whilst simultaneously applying a different set of rules for people on bikes, just as police do. That is one of the biggest things. Motorist who feel no jeopardy from errant driving will continue to do as they like. Speeds can be restricted with fully active limiters using speed limit signs/Satellites, also reducing the speed limits everywhere bar the motorways and major trunks with the restricting limiters this would improve safety massively even if drivers had a pee poor attitude.

brooksby

Postby brooksby » 8 Nov 2019, 3:08pm

visionset wrote:I've ridden lots of France, Italy, Spain, Switzerland and a recent ride round Amsterdam. Of all of that I can honestly say that infrastructure has almost nothing to do with feeling at ease on the bike. I can't speak for the inexperienced, but for me it is 99% to do with driver attitude. And that is on another planet in the above countries. Yes even Italy.

Injecting a load of infrastructure, however good it is, will not make the UK a nice place to ride or walk, or a get yourself from A - B by whatever means!
Stop building roads period
Improve what there is.
Construct policy that recognises driving is a privilege.
Change driver attitude with a stronger arm of the law.
Improve and make public transport affordable.
Do all of that FIRST
Any infrastructure should be added slowly, with huge consideration, planning, vision and ambition.

On the 'building roads' thing, and its a bit OT, but I've never understood why building new roads is always something that Govt can afford and which is A Good Thing according to Anyone With Common Sense, and yet apparently we have like a £12billion backlog of repairs on the roads we already have... Wouldn't it make far more sense to start repairing and making sure we can continue to repair the roads we have before we start building new ones??

visionset

Postby visionset » 8 Nov 2019, 3:40pm

brooksby wrote:On the 'building roads' thing, and its a bit OT, but I've never understood why building new roads is always something that Govt can afford and which is A Good Thing according to Anyone With Common Sense, and yet apparently we have like a £12billion backlog of repairs on the roads we already have... Wouldn't it make far more sense to start repairing and making sure we can continue to repair the roads we have before we start building new ones??

Sure, and by the same token, cycle infrastructure, which appears and is instantly a death trap, since nobody considered that roads are self cleaning and cycle paths aren't. Amongst a host of other well documented issues.